Navy Active Duty --> Air Force Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Destiny11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to do a Navy HPSP, serve out the term as a Navy dentist, then join the Air Force reserves? I always wanted to be in the Air Force, but my GPA doesn't make the cutoff for the Air Force HPSP application.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, that is certainly possible. After you finish your Navy commitment, you can transfer to another branch if you wish. I know a dentist who did just that; he spent his first 4 years in the Navy and then transferred to the Air Force Reserve.

Yes, that is certainly possible. After you finish your Navy commitment, you can transfer to another branch if you wish. I know a dentist who did just that; he spent his first 4 years in the Navy and then transferred to the Air Force Reserve.

Do you know if one would need to attend the Air Force field training after the service in the Navy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if one would need to attend the Air Force field training after the service in the Navy?

No, you would not have to attend Air Force Commissioned Officer Training. Just make sure that you find a more senior Air Force officer who can mentor you effectively. I have seen more than one officer who was previously in a different service have to separate from the Air Force because they were passed over for promotion twice for the next rank. You only get two chances to be promoted for each rank, and if you are not selected twice, you must separate. Those officers had no idea what was required of them as far as Air Force professional military education for promotion boards. They didn't have good mentors when they switched services, and now their military careers are over. Don't let that happen to you when you switch. Be proactive.

No, you would not have to attend Air Force Commissioned Officer Training. Just make sure that you find a more senior Air Force officer who can mentor you effectively. I have seen more than one officer who was previously in a different service have to separate from the Air Force because they were passed over for promotion twice for the next rank. You only get two chances to be promoted for each rank, and if you are not selected twice, you must separate. Those officers had no idea what was required of them as far as Air Force professional military education for promotion boards. They didn't have good mentors when they switched services, and now their military careers are over. Don't let that happen to you when you switch. Be proactive.

Thanks for your help. I have 1 more question. Do you know when you apply for the HPSP, do they look at your AADSAS GPA or do they go with the GPA on your transcripts? For example, if you repeated a class, do they average both classes?

Thanks for your help. I have 1 more question. Do you know when you apply for the HPSP, do they look at your AADSAS GPA or do they go with the GPA on your transcripts? For example, if you repeated a class, do they average both classes?

The Navy does not have access to AADSAS, so they will look at the GPA on your transcript. Whether or not your GPA will include the grade from the original class that you decided to retake depends on the grading policies at the individual school.

The Navy will look at your transcirpts as previously mentioned. But, it will take into consideration your entire transcript. It will not just at the repeated course. It will included each time you took a course. They "calculate" the overall GPA from your transcrpit(s) so they can compare your GPA to all candidates. Since not all schools GPAs are calculated the same, they have to adjust everyones so make it a level playing field. So, your GPA from the Navy's perspective may be slightly different than what the transcript says. Mine was a little different than what my transcript was which was a little different than what was on the AADSAS.

No longer have the 2 time passover rule on AD in the AF any more.

No longer have the 2 time passover rule on AD in the AF any more.

Well, that is interesting. When did that change? One of my colleagues who was prior Navy was just forced out about 6 months ago after being passed over twice. Either the Air Force Reserve is still kicking out two-time non-selects, or the rule must have changed very recently.

Well, that is interesting. When did that change? One of my colleagues who was prior Navy was just forced out about 6 months ago after being passed over twice. Either the Air Force Reserve is still kicking out two-time non-selects, or the rule must have changed very recently.

Reserves may still be doing it, but active duty hasn't done it for at least 10 years and probably longer.

I think there are a few things that should be clarified. I'm guessing AFDDS is stating that there is essentially no twice passed over rule for active duty Dental Corps Officers (or Medical Corps Officers). There is still a twice passed over rule listed in AFI 36-2501 and it is applied to other career fields especially outside of the medical world.

Not sure if your friend is a dentist or not. Also could potentially see it occurring (in the reserves) if they were retirement eligble and their commander did not support their continuation.

I think there are a few things that should be clarified. I'm guessing AFDDS is stating that there is essentially no twice passed over rule for active duty Dental Corps Officers (or Medical Corps Officers). There is still a twice passed over rule listed in AFI 36-2501 and it is applied to other career fields especially outside of the medical world.

Not sure if your friend is a dentist or not. Also could potentially see it occurring (in the reserves) if they were retirement eligble and their commander did not support their continuation.

Correct. Should have been clearer. AD Medical and Dental do not get released if they are passed over 2 times. However, other career fields may and reserves may do that.

Thanks for the clarification. He was a dentist, but there may have been other factors involved that I am not aware of.