• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Red tail

Feb 3, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I just spoke with a Navy and an Air Force recruiter.

The Navy recruiter told me that there are only 4 year Navy HPSP scholarships. Is that true? I was sure there were 3 and even 2 year scholarships for the Navy, but I could be wrong.

Also, the Air Force recruiter told me that 2 year Air Force scholarships are very hard to get, there are only 5 spots. Is that true?

Red tail

Feb 3, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I guess I am asking if things have changed for the Navy, because I know someone who did 3 year back in the 90's.

NavyFP

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Manning a Cubicle
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
There are still 3 year and 2 year scholarships in the Navy. There are just a whole lot more 4 year scholarships.

About the Ads

NavyFP

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Manning a Cubicle
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
A 2 year scholarship does not make sense. Wait and do FAP. If you need clarification, I will be happy to provide numbers. 2 year scholarship = 3 yr ADSO with only 2 years of benefits/pay.

As a rule, I will agree. The exception would be if your school costs over $45K per year. Then it might be better to do HPSP.

With the 2 year HPSP you would be able to do internship + 2 yr GMO and get out.

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2005
Home again
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I thought the Navy ONLY offered enough 2 or 3 year scholarships to meet recruiting shortfalls from the previous years' 4-year quota ... or to replace people who quit or flunked out.

Ie, every year the # of HPSP's expected to graduate in year XXXX fluctuates and the shorter scholarships are there to bring the anticipated # of year XXXX graduates back in line with the goal.

With the last few years of recruitment going well, I thought 2/3 year scholarships were more rare than usual.

NavyFP

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Manning a Cubicle
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
No, they build in 2 and 3 year scholarships. Not many, but there are a couple dozen 3 year and a dozen 2 year. Some people are late in applying and others have a delayed interest.

4 year is the most popular.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.