Navy GPR or AEGD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuckeyMcGee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm torn between choosing a GPR or AEGD in the Navy. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Which one would YOU do? In the future I want to do general dentistry so it wouldn't be a stepping stone to specialize, but they're both good options that would allow me to do more dentistry in the military. So whadaya tink?

Members don't see this ad.

If the idea of being a junior oral surgeon and doing hospital-based dentistry appeals to you, take the GPR. I took a Navy AEGD residency and it remains one of the best decisions I have made in the military. If you pay attention and make the most of the program, it can really help you out in the fleet.

I have heard the same thing. The Navy's GPR is designed to give young dentists the opportunity to see if they'd like to become oral surgeons.

I've also heard that Navy GPR graduates, not going on to an oral surgery program, are typically farmed out to "one-holers" like destroyers for example. You'll be the only dentist on the ship. That is attractive to some and scary/boring for others.

I also decided to do a Navy AEGD. I have no interest in being an oral surgeon. I like extracting teeth, but that's it. No Lefort osteotomies for me, no thanks.