Navy HSCP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoopyFaceTomatoNose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in joining the HSCP (Navy only scholarship program) but cannot find the facts and figures anywhere. I've heard above a 3.5 and 21 DAT are "competitive"; however, I can't seem to find the actual figures for auto acceptance anywhere as well as the number of HSCP scholarships given. I'm trying to figure out if it is more competitive or less competitive than the HPSP. If anyone can provide these figures I'd appreciate it greatly.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in joining the HSCP (Navy only scholarship program) but cannot find the facts and figures anywhere. I've heard above a 3.5 and 21 DAT are "competitive"; however, I can't seem to find the actual figures for auto acceptance anywhere as well as the number of HSCP scholarships given. I'm trying to figure out if it is more competitive or less competitive than the HPSP. If anyone can provide these figures I'd appreciate it greatly.

According to my navy officer a competitive applicant is around a 19 DAT and 3.5 GPA. Also the amount of scholarships is about 60 and there are about 200 people a year that make it to the boards competing for those spots. There is no such thing as an auto acceptance for the navy. They are just as random as dental schools so you have to make them like you with your resume and motivational statement. A 3.5 and 20 DAT will waive the interview.

According to my navy officer a competitive applicant is around a 19 DAT and 3.5 GPA. Also the amount of scholarships is about 60 and there are about 200 people a year that make it to the boards competing for those spots. There is no such thing as an auto acceptance for the navy. They are just as random as dental schools so you have to make them like you with your resume and motivational statement. A 3.5 and 20 DAT will waive the interview.

So if you're good enough to not get an interview, does that meat tyou are essentially in, or does it mean you just get into the selection pool without the first round of denials?

Members don't see this ad :)
tbond5 is somewhat correct. I just had interviews earlier today with board members for the Navy. There are, I believe 62 HPSP scholarships available this year and 20 HSCP. Many candidates will list HSCP as their second choice if they are denied the HPSP, and will flow into the HSCP. However, you can list HSCP as your first choice if you want those benefits, for say in-state students (you get the 4 years active duty while in d-school). Your statement of "good enough to not get an interview" is misconstrued. If you have a 3.5 GPA and a 19 DAT, you do not need to interview, however it can only help (my stats were well above these) since you will be interviewing with people that can help you get in, it's always nice to have as many connections as possible. Having good stats does by no means get you in, you are still vying for only 60-80 spots out of whoever is applying that year, and the earlier you get everything in the better, it is probably even more important than having stellar stats.

Reactions: 1 user
I will be turning it in as fast as possible. I'm taking the DAT January 6th and am taking a gap year after graduation due to financial reasons (couldn't afford the DAT until payment for a summer research internship came in). Anyway, I will have time and turn it in as soon as I possibly can after I get my DAT score.

I will be turning it in as fast as possible. I'm taking the DAT January 6th and am taking a gap year after graduation due to financial reasons (couldn't afford the DAT until payment for a summer research internship came in). Anyway, I will have time and turn it in as soon as I possibly can after I get my DAT score.

That's plenty early. I finished my app for the January boards this last week. Most people start the app July or later.

That's plenty early. I finished my app for the January boards this last week. Most people start the app July or later.

I'm assuming there is only one app for both HPSP and HSCP? If so, where did you hear that most people start in July or later? I thought they're usually out of scholarships by April or May.

I'm assuming there is only one app for both HPSP and HSCP? If so, where did you hear that most people start in July or later? I thought they're usually out of scholarships by April or May.

Well if boards start in January then people start the July before. In his situation he hasn't applied to dental school yet, so basically start the paperwork for the navy the same time you are filling out your application. But you want to make sure it's in a couple weeks before the first board thats for sure.

Well if boards start in January then people start the July before. In his situation he hasn't applied to dental school yet, so basically start the paperwork for the navy the same time you are filling out your application. But you want to make sure it's in a couple weeks before the first board thats for sure.

Oh ok, I misunderstood your post.

Right, if you're not applying until next cycle, there really is no need to start on it now, you could I guess, but you'll have to update transcripts/what you've been doing for the background check, etc. The earliest I would start would be like tbond5 said, in July. I personally didn't start until October and have everything completed for the first board, but it depends on how quickly you and your recruiter can work to get everything in. 2 months to complete everything should be good if you are both on top of everything, but again the earlier the better in case you run into any problems (for example, with MEPS/however you do your physical, I personally did mine at Walter Reed where you get to keep much more dignity).

Also, to Jaesango, the application process is nearly identical. My recruiter just listed HSCP as my 2nd choice on my APSR. The checklist for the material needed for both are the same except for just a few minor formalities, but if you get the HPSP one complete, you probably have the HSCP complete as well.

So does anybody have any more figures on the HPSP vs the HSCP? I tried to look up the different pay grades you would obtain between the two throughout the 4 years in school and 4 years repayment and even with my in-state school it seemed like the HPSP was the better option. Total estimation for my school (TN) with living expenses and all is 253,000. Obviously I can cut that down but tuition is $14k each year so its about average for most in-state schools. It still seems that unless you go to a Texas school the HPSP is still the better option. (Also I do not plan on retiring military, just putting in my four years.)

Right, if you're not applying until next cycle, there really is no need to start on it now, you could I guess, but you'll have to update transcripts/what you've been doing for the background check, etc. The earliest I would start would be like tbond5 said, in July. I personally didn't start until October and have everything completed for the first board, but it depends on how quickly you and your recruiter can work to get everything in. 2 months to complete everything should be good if you are both on top of everything, but again the earlier the better in case you run into any problems (for example, with MEPS/however you do your physical, I personally did mine at Walter Reed where you get to keep much more dignity).

Also, to Jaesango, the application process is nearly identical. My recruiter just listed HSCP as my 2nd choice on my APSR. The checklist for the material needed for both are the same except for just a few minor formalities, but if you get the HPSP one complete, you probably have the HSCP complete as well.

Great, thanks for clearing that up. I actually finished my HPSP packet for the army in october but there has been a problem that may have caused my review to be delayed (again...this is the 2nd time if you count the gov't shut down thing). I talked to a navy recruiter yesterday and I assume i'll be able to finish everything relatively fast since I already did the physical and have everything turned into the army.

The main perk of the HSCP is that if you are planning to be a career military dentist, you can retire 4 years early. Also, when you come out of dental school, you will always be four-years pay grades (which is I believe 2 pay grades above, it increases every 2 years) above your HPSP counterparts. These perks may not exceed those of the HPSP even at a state school, for example I would still have to take out loans as well if I were to go with this option in MD. So if you're not planning on staying in, then I personally would still go with the HPSP and that's probably why HSCP is typically considered a 2nd option.

The main perk of the HSCP is that if you are planning to be a career military dentist, you can retire 4 years early. Also, when you come out of dental school, you will always be four-years pay grades (which is I believe 2 pay grades above, it increases every 2 years) above your HPSP counterparts. These perks may not exceed those of the HPSP even at a state school, for example I would still have to take out loans as well if I were to go with this option in MD. So if you're not planning on staying in, then I personally would still go with the HPSP and that's probably why HSCP is typically considered a 2nd option.

This is very true. there are lots of factors to consider, but I'd say for the great majority, the HPSP is more beneficial.

Last edited:

I have a question regarding the timing to apply for HPSC! So there are 4, 3, 2, and 1 year scholarship programs in HPSP right? That means that I can apply for HPSP anytime during school years, which only changes how much they are going to repay my school loans and how long I have to serve the military. Is it going in the same way for HPSC though? I mean can I apply for HPSC even when I am a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year of dental school OR only before matriculation of dental school? Thanks in advance.

There are only 3 and 4 year HPSP scholarships, no 1 or 2 year that I know of, and pretty much the only way you will get a 3 year is if you apply for the 4 year and get turned away due to the spots being filled already, or if you are on top of everything while being a 1st year dental student. This is just off of assumption but I believe there are only 4 year HSCP positions as well.

Check Out my post. I kno the videos are 2010 and 2009 but those are not that far off. Not much as changed --->> http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/hpsp-watch-these-videos-via-youtube.1047109/