Navy MEPS: What should I expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyDDS1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have my MEPS tomorrow for Navy HPSP and I'm wondering what type of testings they make me go through? I know I get tested for blood, vision, and hearing, but what else?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did MEPS for Navy HPSP a few months ago. You check in first and then head into a lecture room. Someone gives an outline of the day and then you get a breathalyzer test (people have actually failed this apparently). After that you get called into waiting areas for a bunch of different stations, like hearing, eyesight, blood test, urine drug test, blood pressure, and a full body exam in a private room. You also have to undress to your underwear and do all sorts of exercises in a group in front of a doctor.

It takes a really long time, and it's really boring because most of the five to six hours I was there it was just sitting and waiting. No phones are allowed either.

"Hurry up and wait."
If you are ultimately accepted and go into the military, these words will be something you live by. Tomorrow will be your first taste of it.
As far as exams, as mentioned above you will do all sorts of tests. Little things that are easy, like a duck walk.
And they check your butt.
Enjoy!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Listen to what these guys are saying, that's what MEPS is like. I'll tell you one thing NOT to expect though, and that is to get your urine test quick. I don't know what your recruiters told you but mine said to drink a TON of water the morning of MEPS so I did, but it was hours before the urine test and I had to ask repeditly to be excused to pee, the whole group was laughing at me but I didn't even care cause I was about to piss myself. Unless you have major bladder shyness don't drink rediculous amounts of water, the first half of MEPS sucked for me because I was literally in pain.

Reactions: 1 user
How long did it take you to get cleared with MEPs after your med history records were submitted to your recruiter?
(Sorry to change topics).

I just finished my MEPS and wow lol they actually got me all naked and take a close look at my genitals and butt hole

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished my MEPS and wow lol they actually got me all naked and take a close look at my genitals and butt hole
That's not part of the exam. I think they just threw those in for free

Reactions: 10 users
Listen to what these guys are saying, that's what MEPS is like. I'll tell you one thing NOT to expect though, and that is to get your urine test quick. I don't know what your recruiters told you but mine said to drink a TON of water the morning of MEPS so I did, but it was hours before the urine test and I had to ask repeditly to be excused to pee, the whole group was laughing at me but I didn't even care cause I was about to piss myself. Unless you have major bladder shyness don't drink rediculous amounts of water, the first half of MEPS sucked for me because I was literally in pain.
Unfortunately, this is true. My recruiter met me at MEPS at 5:00am with two bottles of water that he had me down. My urine test wasn't until 2:00pm.

Unfortunately, this is true. My recruiter met me at MEPS at 5:00am with two bottles of water that he had me down. My urine test wasn't until 2:00pm.
Haha, I wasn't the only one. They must have done the urine test sooner in the past when our recruiters went through, that or they just like screwing with us, lol. But there were guys there who literally couldn't piss (don't know about the women), some people where back a second time to just piss cause they couldn't at all the first time they were at MEPS.

"Hurry up and wait."
And they check your butt.
Enjoy!
I knew they did this but what is the reason for this? I can only think of prostate/anal cancer exam or looking for signs STDs? but I doubt they can visually check that.. I just googled it and no one has a legit answer.. some troll even came up with a conspiracy theory. But why do they need to know if you have STDs or not?

I knew they did this but what is the reason for this? I can only think of prostate/anal cancer exam or looking for signs STDs? but I doubt they can visually check that.. I just googled it and no one has a legit answer.. some troll even came up with a conspiracy theory. But why do they need to know if you have STDs or not?

I asked a friend stationed in SK, he said it was because of steroids. Not sure how true that is though.

My recruiter said ~3 days.

I've asked my recruiter twice for an example template to put mine in the proper format, recieved no comment on the personal statement and AADSAS application I emailed, and had my Med records all in like 3 weeks ago... Should I be concerned? I'm really frustrated. I sent in my transcripts the other day and am waiting on my LORs. I reached out to all 3 branches but am only applying to the Navy and I'm getting impatient.

I've asked my recruiter twice for an example template to put mine in the proper format, recieved no comment on the personal statement and AADSAS application I emailed, and had my Med records all in like 3 weeks ago... Should I be concerned? I'm really frustrated. I sent in my transcripts the other day and am waiting on my LORs. I reached out to all 3 branches but am only applying to the Navy and I'm getting impatient.

I have my fair share too, but it is what it is. Are you referring to examples of the motivational statements? I have several examples from my Army recruiter.

Not prostate cancer, they need to check the gland for that. They are checking for abnormalities like fissures, fistula, hemorrhoids, thrush, etc.
As far as the genitals, they are checking for abnormalities such as undescended testes, and possible hernias. They are also checking for lumps in the testicle. Men in their 20s are a high risk category for testicular cancer.

If you REALLY want to get in the weeds regarding the specifics of commissioning physical requirements, there is a VERY detailed instruction regarding examination requirements, disqualifiers, and other specifics.

It can be a dry read, but if you are ultimately commissioned as a Naval Officer, you will very quickly learn that there is a set of instructions for EVERYTHING. There's MILPERSMAN, BUPERSINST, NAVADMINS...etc. They outline incredibly specific guidance for everything. I HIGHLY recommend that you get into the habit of learning how to look for these instructions. It will show a a high level of competence and resourcefulness, above what is expected of a Junior Officer. Your supervisors will see that you have the ability to work autonomously.
Why is this important? Because besides your grades, board scores, and other academic related metrics, this performance would impress your supervisors - and will reflect in your FITREP. This is a positive when submitting packages for residency.

If I'm wrong in any of this, or there is anything to add, I'll ask @vellnueve to chime in, as he has much more firsthand experience.

If you get sick on deployment or remote duty and they don't have the appropriate drugs, that would be a problem.

Any chronic health condition could impact your individual medical readiness and as such they need to know so they can determine if you're qualified for military service.

Unfortunately that means you get a very... thorough... exam.

I have my fair share too, but it is what it is. Are you referring to examples of the motivational statements? I have several examples from my Army recruiter.

An example of just the resume. When I gave him mine, he said it wasn't in the right format. Any chance you have that? :)