-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Navy ODS Tips and Insights
Started by Natya
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Huh, interesting. It sounds like they shifted some people around since last year. I'm encouraged by the fact that they put Medical Corps folks in charge, instead of line officers. (Although I wonder if this ends up deepening the staff corps-line corps divide...)
It has been a while since I went through ODS (June/July 2001, back when it was OIS), but I'd like to recommend a couple more items to bring.
1. Instead of the standard combination lock, bring the kind with four dials on the bottom. Makes it easier to get in and out of your footlocker, and easier to keep it locked all of the time.
2. Black socks. Unless they are really anal about what kind of socks you wear, it's nice to have enough you aren't cleaning them all of the time, and you can pick out some that are comfortable.
Yeah, back when I went only 1 day of off base liberty. Thanks to those guys who put their empty beer bottles in the mailbox.
1. Instead of the standard combination lock, bring the kind with four dials on the bottom. Makes it easier to get in and out of your footlocker, and easier to keep it locked all of the time.
2. Black socks. Unless they are really anal about what kind of socks you wear, it's nice to have enough you aren't cleaning them all of the time, and you can pick out some that are comfortable.
Yeah, back when I went only 1 day of off base liberty. Thanks to those guys who put their empty beer bottles in the mailbox.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's usually the male to female ratio?
I think it's 78% male to 22% female.
I just finished ODS a week ago and my company had 44 people, 16 of whom were female.
More general notes:
I was scared to bring a lot of stuff there for some reason, and as a result ended up buying a ton at the exchange.
Things I wish I had brought: shoe polishing stuff, rags, cleaning supplies, a sheet, extra towel, briefcase
I slept on my bed the whole time with the scratchy wool blanket and wished I had an old sheet with me. It takes forever for the towels to dry, and occasionally you might want one to iron on if the ironing board you grab looks nasty. I was happy I brought my own iron. Bring one that has the water reservoir and can do steam.
I also ended up buying more comfortable black and white socks than the kind they give you and the kind of shirt stays that loop around your foot.
For the ladies- ignore what the website says about only tall athletic socks. Bring normal ones for PT as well as a few long pairs for firefighting training and the wet trainer. Also, we were told to buy hair gel, hair spray, hair bands that match the color of your hair (the exchange has lots of hair-colored kinds), and a spray bottle to wet your hair before putting it up.
That's all I can think of for the moment! Feel free to ask me any specific questions.
More general notes:
I was scared to bring a lot of stuff there for some reason, and as a result ended up buying a ton at the exchange.
Things I wish I had brought: shoe polishing stuff, rags, cleaning supplies, a sheet, extra towel, briefcase
I slept on my bed the whole time with the scratchy wool blanket and wished I had an old sheet with me. It takes forever for the towels to dry, and occasionally you might want one to iron on if the ironing board you grab looks nasty. I was happy I brought my own iron. Bring one that has the water reservoir and can do steam.
I also ended up buying more comfortable black and white socks than the kind they give you and the kind of shirt stays that loop around your foot.
For the ladies- ignore what the website says about only tall athletic socks. Bring normal ones for PT as well as a few long pairs for firefighting training and the wet trainer. Also, we were told to buy hair gel, hair spray, hair bands that match the color of your hair (the exchange has lots of hair-colored kinds), and a spray bottle to wet your hair before putting it up.
That's all I can think of for the moment! Feel free to ask me any specific questions.
We didn't wear boots at ODS. I think the Army folks wore them at OBLC.So do you guys suggest buying boots before heading to ODS, to break them in.
haha, I guess I am mixing up all the officers training camps, Its because all my friends are either doing Army or airforce
Are you also Miska002?
haha, yeah I am, I made two accounts a while ago because I forgot I had already made one, so I sort of use both, I think I will just stick with this one and delete the other. wow your observant.
Ah. I figured you were Miska002. Otherwise, your last post didn't make any sense. 😛
HI all I am new to this forum. The schedule is up for 2010 ODS, how fast do the summer spots fill up?
The middle one in the summer fills very quickly. Sign up now.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What exactly are the regulations for women's hair? How short would it have to be if I wanted to keep it down? Is shoulder length too long?
Short enough that it is NOT touching the collar
Short enough that it is NOT touching the collar
That is for men. For women, it must be short enough that it does not extend below the bottom of the collar.
The middle one in the summer fills very quickly. Sign up now.
Where can I find the schedule for ODS? TIA.
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'm going next week. I do have a few questions...
How many people in an ODS class?
Besides physicians, who else is there?
What about cell phones? Can we bring 'em?
When you have the weekend off, how far can you go? Ok to go down to NYC?
Thanks.
I recently received my selection letter for the Medical Service Corps. I am an infectious disease scientist (just recently received my Ph.D.) and have been doing post doctoral research for under a year.
I'm entering as a microbiologist, however, which is a fairly tiny field (about 50 total) in the Navy.
I recently received my selection letter for the Medical Service Corps. I am an infectious disease scientist (just recently received my Ph.D.) and have been doing post doctoral research for under a year.
I'm entering as a microbiologist, however, which is a fairly tiny field (about 50 total) in the Navy.
Some quick questions:
How much money should we expect to spend during ODS? I saw a uniform list and the total was over $1000. Do we get an allowance that pays for this?
Based on what I have been reading it seems like we get off base privileges the last 3 weekends of ODS? What about during the week at night?
Also, is it OK to bring an iMAC instead of a laptop?
Thanks in advance👍
Some quick questions:
How much money should we expect to spend during ODS? I saw a uniform list and the total was over $1000. Do we get an allowance that pays for this?
Based on what I have been reading it seems like we get off base privileges the last 3 weekends of ODS? What about during the week at night?
Also, is it OK to bring an iMAC instead of a laptop?
Thanks in advance👍
You'll spend about 1500 on uniforms and 500 on food. You may get reimbursed for the food, and you get a 300 one time uniform allowance
the last week we were able to go off base during the week. don't expect to go off base every weekend the last 3 weeks - a couple groups got that particular privilege taken away
can't say about the laptop. don't expect to get on the internet on a personal computer in the barracks; when you're allowed to go to the coffee shop you'll get internet there, but at King Hall you'll have to use the computer lab. Also, note that thumb drives are no longer allowed on DoD computers (this includes the computers at King Hall)
You are paid as an active duty officer while at ODS. There is a small allowance for uniforms, but it's something like $400; you'll spend much more than this at the uniform shop.Some quick questions:
How much money should we expect to spend during ODS? I saw a uniform list and the total was over $1000. Do we get an allowance that pays for this?
Based on what I have been reading it seems like we get off base privileges the last 3 weekends of ODS? What about during the week at night?
Also, is it OK to bring an iMAC instead of a laptop?
Thanks in advance👍
Off-base liberty policies depend on the class. In general, liberty privs increase as you progress, unless your company or class do something stupid along the way.
Don't bring an iMac. Your room is kept to exacting standards during the day, which includes leaving nothing on your desk except for the books that are there when you arrive and a small family photo. Everything else must be stowed in your footlocker when you are not in your room. Unless you want to unplug, stow, then re-place, re-plug, etc. multiple times per day, it doesn't make sense to bring a non-laptop computer.
You are paid as an active duty officer while at ODS. There is a small allowance for uniforms, but it's something like $400; you'll spend much more than this at the uniform shop.
Off-base liberty policies depend on the class. In general, liberty privs increase as you progress, unless your company or class do something stupid along the way.
Don't bring an iMac. Your room is kept to exacting standards during the day, which includes leaving nothing on your desk except for the books that are there when you arrive and a small family photo. Everything else must be stowed in your footlocker when you are not in your room. Unless you want to unplug, stow, then re-place, re-plug, etc. multiple times per day, it doesn't make sense to bring a non-laptop computer.
Thanks for the responses SilverHorse84 and blee.👍
My situation may be different, but once out of ODS I am going to be stationed in Bethesda. I'll be working at Bethesda Naval Hospital as a clinical microbiologist (possibly NRC as doing biodefense research, though). How long do you have once you graduate to report for duty?
About the pay -- I'm being commissioned as an O-3. Is my pay at ODS going to be O-1 or O-3?
Thank in advance!
-CMOJ
Thanks for the responses SilverHorse84 and blee.👍
My situation may be different, but once out of ODS I am going to be stationed in Bethesda. I'll be working at Bethesda Naval Hospital as a clinical microbiologist (possibly NRC as doing biodefense research, though). How long do you have once you graduate to report for duty?
About the pay -- I'm being commissioned as an O-3. Is my pay at ODS going to be O-1 or O-3?
Thank in advance!
-CMOJ
You should get paid as an O3 if that's what you're commissioned as.
You'll have to ask someone official about they number of days to reporting. It varies by location (i.e. they look at where you're coming from and going to and judge the days from there)
I was looking at the website for OIS and they don't seem to have a lot of pictures of OIS. Does anyone know some good websites with picture of OIS, I know they have a couple for the Army Officers training.
Check out this Facebook profile. A previous ODS class made a profile and posted all of their photos.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tango-09070/108129873637
Does anyone know when ODS is transitioning to the NWU?
The NWU has been rolling out in different times depending on what region you are located in. By October 2010, all the regions should be conforming with the new uniforms. Digital camo is sick though.

I am currently applying for HSCP for Pharmacy, anyone else???
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did someone from NETC say that ODS would switch to working uniforms? We were in khakis for the lion's share of the class (also in PT gear, summer whites, or dress whites), but we never wore camos. Seems like it's been that way for several years now.
If you go to the ODS website. Under uniform requirements for ODS it says to the current requirements (***Discontinued when NWU begins). Then it lists about $600 worth of NWU uniform pieces, so I guess that means they are switching over.
So we can't have any coffee and we wake up everyday at 4am...geez how did you guys stay awake in class? Any tricks? I think I might fall asleep.😳
You have to carry a water bottle everywhere...we quickly learned that it's tough to fall asleep if your bladder is full 😉
Also, they tell you if you're falling asleep to get up and stand at the back of the class. Not many people are talented enough to sleep while standing.
If you're hooked on caffeine, you may want to wean yourself off before you go. Don't want to have to deal with withdrawal headaches along with everything else 😳
Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Michigan so I spent all but the last month training on the treadmill. My advice is to start now and start slow, and never run with your treadmill less than 2% incline. They say 1% is what you need to counter the help from the motor-driven belt but I always feel like even at 1%, when I get outside I'm sucking wind. So notch it up to 2%, slow your pace and get used to the feel, and then work your way back up. Try to get your speed training days up to above a 7.0mph pace for 1.5-2 miles and get your long training days to about an hour. No way you will fail the pft at that level.
Has anyone gone to ODS recently, are we wearing the NWUs instead of the tan uniforms?
Khaki, not tan.
As in "where the f*** were all the Khaki when the sailor decided to weld the oxygen tank to his forehead?"
When will they release the dates for 2011?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So is there a difference between going in the winter or fall vs the summer other than it being more crowded? is it better or worse if there are more people (like we are not singled out as often if there is a larger group...I don't know)
Yeah I am curious about this too.
You may drive there. I'm pretty sure there's a mileage limit beyond which the Navy will not reimburse you, however.Hello,
I am not sure if this was answered on here, but I am leaving for ODS soon and was wondering if I could bring a car, have it on base for the entire time at ODS, and just have extra clothing or supplies there when needed?
Feel free to leave some of your stuff there, but don't count on being able to get to it for the first few weeks. As things loosen up, you might find it convenient to have a car around.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 824
- Replies
- 22
- Views
- 5K