Navy = Real opportunity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD DOC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seriously considering joining the Navy to help pay for my dental school. Is this is a mistake? I am planning on meeting with a recruiter to get more info, but this is what I know now:

- Pay for tuition, fees, equipment (everything except housing)
- $1020 / mo stipend
- $20K /yr if you specialize during residency
- Officer Rank

Once you graduate you have to be on active duty for 3 years in which you get a $30K bonus plus $70K each year.

If I go to BU that would be huge savings, and I could graduate almost debt free. Is there limits on how much they can give you. Any input would be great.

Thanks
Vikas Goel

Members don't see this ad.

I am # 12 on the waiting list for a Navy 4 year scholarship. I also spent 5 years on active duty as a Navy Corpsman. It is a great way of life and the scholarship is wonderful. It is a 1 for 1 three-year minimum deal, that means that if you get a 4 year you owe 4 years, 3 = 3, 2 = 3, 1 = 3. Also know that you will get paid less than you would in private practice. When you get down to it, it is splitting 6's, you make more in private practice but you have debt, you have no debt but you don't make as much. YOU WILL BE ON A SHIP!!!! The Navy has ships and people float on them, those people need Dentists. It sounds stupid but some people don't realize this until after they sign up then complain about having to leave home.

Also, the Marines are a branch on the Navy! SOOO all medical care comes from the Navy. Marines are all solders and killing machines (GO DEVIL DOGGS!!!!) so don't be surprised if you find yourself in a field hospital (MASH type without all the jokes and pretty nurses) fixing teeth in a tent.

I love the Navy and would like nothing more than to get the scholarship. I got wait listed then told that I still have a good chance because some of the people awarded the scholarship have not been accepted to Dental school yet.........I still can't figure that one out.

You will go in as an officer, a Lieutenant I believe, here is a link to the military pay chart so you can estimate how much you will make.

<a href="http://militarypay.dtic.mil/actives/" target="_blank">http://militarypay.dtic.mil/actives/</a>

GO NAVY!!

Some people got automatically accepted due to a high DAT and a high GPA. Apparently this information gets shared to specific interested sources without our express permission. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Few more question guys, how do I apply for this? Should I see a recruitment office? Or is there a link to online applications? How high does your GPA & DAT scores have to be? Also if there is a waiting list is there still a chance you could get accepted or is the waiting list extremely long?

Thanks Again.
Vikas

Hi-
Does anyone know the reputation of each military service(army, navy, airforce)? I'm applying to the Army scholarship, but I've heard the Airforce is a better environment. The drawback is the Airforce only pays for three years, but you still owe them four years. Unfortunately, I missed the deadline for the Navy scholarship this year. Any input would be great. Thanks.

-k