Navy Selection Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My recruiter told me that my name was on the list and now she is just waiting for more paperwork... does this mean I was professionally recommended? My recruiter never said that specifically

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't heard anything good yet... My packet is completed but I guess my recruiter hasn't seen any official results... Does the board make selections throughout the week? I thought they just met on the 20th and all the results were posted immediately...

Hi, I was just wondering if any of you guys skipped the interviews? I saw some posts by people here saying that it isn't completely mandatory. It's the last thing holding up my application... However, my recruiter is telling me I have to go through some kind of screening process (he mentioned JUNCO/JENCO?) before I can actually have the interview with the dentists. Is this true and if so, why is it taking so long? It's been about 4 weeks since I had my MEPS physical. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was just wondering if any of you guys skipped the interviews? I saw some posts by people here saying that it isn't completely mandatory. It's the last thing holding up my application... However, my recruiter is telling me I have to go through some kind of screening process (he mentioned JUNCO/JENCO?) before I can actually have the interview with the dentists. Is this true and if so, why is it taking so long? It's been about 4 weeks since I had my MEPS physical. Thanks...

I skipped it by recruiters recommendation. I'm not sure if that was a good idea now though because I haven't heard back and tons of other people seem to have...

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the sequestration and budget cuts will impact the HPSP Scholarship funding? Will there be less scholarships given out, and/ or less funding? I read on the Navy's website in response to the sequestration that they will "CEASE NEW USMC ENROLLMENTS IN VOLUNTARY EDUCATION TUITION ASSISTANCE" as well as halt new recruitment starting in March... :eek:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the sequestration and budget cuts will impact the HPSP Scholarship funding? Will there be less scholarships given out, and/ or less funding? I read on the Navy's website in response to the sequestration that they will "CEASE NEW USMC ENROLLMENTS IN VOLUNTARY EDUCATION TUITION ASSISTANCE" as well as halt new recruitment starting in March... :eek:

solid question willow--I wonder how this will play out. From what I understand, when the fiscal year starts in oct., the scholarship amounts are determined based off of the money at hand. With these budget cuts, however, I'd be interested to know in how the money is going to be moved around...and if that will effect the scholarships as well?

Anyone who was notified on Feb 21st received a Final Select Letter yet?

Anyone else never hear back... My recruiter said my package was going to be at the Feb 20 board but as of the 24th he said no official results were posted.

:(

I'm in the same boat. My kit was supposed to be in February 20th. I haven't even been able to get a hold of my recruiter for the past 3 weeks (left multiple messages/e-mails). Is anyone else going through this?

Anyone else never hear back... My recruiter said my package was going to be at the Feb 20 board but as of the 24th he said no official results were posted.

:(

really? because my kit was submitted for the Feb 20th board and I found out that I was professionally recommended by the board two days later. my recruiter gave me the academic year statement form to fill out which according to him finalizes the process. you may wanna call him or her again and find out whats going on

I'm in the same boat. My kit was supposed to be in February 20th. I haven't even been able to get a hold of my recruiter for the past 3 weeks (left multiple messages/e-mails). Is anyone else going through this?

I would go meet him or her in person if I were you... the board has convened on the 20th and if my recruiter is right, all the scholarships were given out on that day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was professionally recommended too around Feb 20th and haven't received my final select offer yet. I turned in my AYS soon after I heard I was recommended.

What does AYS stand for? also did any of you receive a framed selection sheet from the Navy with the date of your commisioning? Just wondering as a friend of mine two years older than me said it is not official until you receive this.

He received his the day he commisioned at his NRD.

My recruiter had me turn in the AYS before the board even met. I have not received any letter in the mail yet either. I did my interview with a personal investigator at my local navy recruiters office. Did anyone else schedule or have to do it to? We went through my Nasis application with a fine tooth comb...

Ugh this waiting is killing me.. Does anyone know how soon you can apply for a spot at ODS after you get the selection letter?

Pretty sure you have to actually be in the military before they train you. That means taking your oath and signing away etc.

Well I know you have to be commissioned before you can actually attend the school but I was wondering when can I contact ODS to reserve a spot in one of their classes this summer. I want to get the training out of the way before I start dental school this fall

Well I know you have to be commissioned before you can actually attend the school but I was wondering when can I contact ODS to reserve a spot in one of their classes this summer. I want to get the training out of the way before I start dental school this fall

This is how it reads on NAVMED (coming on active duty, section):

"If you have not attended ODS or did not have undergraduate education in a military academy or ROTC program, you must attend ODS at Newport, Rhode Island immediately prior to checking into your active duty assignment. When you check into ODS, you must have:"

I'm not sure how it is now, but when I signed on a few years back, they didn't allow you to attend ODS prior to the start of school. I'm positive they won't allow you to reserve a spot before you are commissioned, that would be taking a spot away from someone who is getting out of school and must attend before going to their first active duty station...this may be why they stopped allowing you to attend before school. I'll ask around and see if it's changed.

Yeah I would like to know the same, my recruiter told me that we can't do ODS before school starts. I'm wondering if everyone got the same memo. It would be great if we could do ODS before school starts.

What happens if you are scheduled to be commissioned after dental school starts? Would that interfere with funding for tuition?

Commissioning in two weeks? Oh my, why so fast. The bonus and stipend don't get paid until you start school right?

What happens if you are scheduled to be commissioned after dental school starts? Would that interfere with funding for tuition?

If you commission after school starts, you just want to make sure it is during your first quarter/semester so that they will fund you for that term. You are not back payed stipend, but they will back pay tuition and fees. You should let the financial aid or student finance office know about when you're commissioning so that they are on board with the info.

Board recommended today.
Hoping that the rest goes smoothly...seems most people get the scholarship who are board recommended right?

Hi, would you mind telling me when did you submit your package, and when did your board meet? I submitted my package in the end of Feb, and I haven't heard of anything from my recruiter. Thank you!

Submitted early Feb, was reviewed on the 20th I think. Not sure why it took so long.

anyone else who was prof. rec. around feb 20th get their final select letter, i'm still waiting!!!! ahhh!!!

Just told that I would know final status by March 25, anyone else?

My recruiter contacted me today saying my papers have finally come in, so I should expect to swear in sometime this week. So I guess March 25th was right.

Got the call this morning, I'm officially selected! :D

Hi, so I was told that UoP students would be able to get a 4 year HPSP converted to a 3 year HPSP. Can anyone here who received an HPSP scholarship for UoP confirm that? Thanks :)

Officially accepted to receive the HPSP. so blessed and excited!

I think many people want to apply but they just don't have acceptance letters yet. They're prob under the impression that they need that acceptance to begin their app. My guess is that Navy will probably process a ton more apps next month and all the scholarships will be gone by March.

That's funny because my recruiter wouldn't even work on my application until I got my acceptance letter.

Those of you getting accepted now, when did your processor submit your packet?

Don't know. I do know I was reviewed during the march 22nd board of review.

from what i was told, getting security clearance takes a while. the june ODS class is full, and i'm not sure if one would be able to get cleared in time for the may class. if your school starts late you can try to go for the one that starts at the end of the july. i've gotta ask my recruiter about this as well

Any updates on this topic? Attending ods before school begins

Are there any big disadvantages to attending ods after dental school? Like timing of a specialty program start date or duty assignment? Just curious if it is worthwhile to do it early as I wouldn't be able to do it during breaks

Any updates on this topic? Attending ods before school begins

Are there any big disadvantages to attending ods after dental school? Like timing of a specialty program start date or duty assignment? Just curious if it is worthwhile to do it early as I wouldn't be able to do it during breaks

Better to go before school starts, or during a summer. If you go before school starts you'll get a few extra months of pay, and your following summers can be spent doing clerkships. Alternatively, going during your first summer break would be the next best (and most common option) as you'll understand how to be an officer while doing your summer clerkships the following years.

This question is mainly for those already selected for HPSP, but anyone please feel free to answer. Just specify whether you've been selected or still waiting: When did you/when were you asked to submit your Academic Year Statement? I was asked to submit it last week. Does this mean I'm in, pending paperwork? My recruiter wasn't sure, but said it probably means the board has my packet and needs this to go with it.

Last edited:
Apparently there is some hold up with the processing step right now. I was selected about a month ago but my recruiter still doesn't have the paperwork from the processors. He said they are pretty much blowing him off and not giving a real reason but he thinks it's because there are less people working on the paperwork than there used to be (budget stuff).

Anyone else been selected but stuck at that step?