navy surgery sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brucecanbeatyou

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone that can give a run-down of the different sites for Navy Surgery? I have seen the comparisons of the sites, but nothing specific to surgery, either internship or residency.

Also, do surgical interns/residents do trauma rotations at associated hospitals? It is my impression that none of the Navy hospitals are trauma centers.

Members don't see this ad.

I visited the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center at Bethesda medical student open house and was really impressed. Maybe I just had low expectations from sdn haha.

To answer part of my own question, at Bethesda, the surgical interns/residents do trauma rotations at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma center for civilian trauma, and in house, receive battle trauma from the theater. Anyone know about San Diego or Portsmouth?

also at Washington Hospital Center . . .there's plenty of knife&gun clubs here in the DC area, you can get a good trauma experience in many places.

the surgical interns/residents do trauma rotations at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma center for civilian trauma, and in house, receive battle trauma from the theater. Anyone know about San Diego or Portsmouth?

Just a cautionary note: "Battle Trauma" isn't really trauma, if that Pt is coming to you 2-days post-injury . . . and the services that seem to be most involved with these cases are Ortho & Vascular. If that's your bent, then you might be involved. If you're just a General Surgery resident, you may not see so much of the "action."

On the note of GS at WRNMMC, it doesn't seem like it's that busy of a service. Each team seems to have 4-5 cases/week . . . I know at most civilian programs they have that many in a day. I don't know all that much, but that training seems to be inadequate. The situation might be different at SD or Portsmouth, I'd take a hard look at those places before making up your mind. And, if you really wanna be a hardcore well-trained general surgeon, you might also consider a civilian deferment. Good luck . . .