NBDE 1 / ECE info for Egypt-trained dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone knows how Egyptian percentage scores transfer to GPA?
also i'm about to start 4th (final) year. anyone knows best time to study/travel and take Part 1 exam.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone knows how Egyptian percentage scores transfer to GPA?
also i'm about to start 4th (final) year. anyone knows best time to study/travel and take Part 1 exam.

hi body
maximum score in the US is 4.0
find your average and you can find your gpa.
best time is to have your nbde score and toefl score before july every year, then you can apply to all schools. they will start there application reveiw from august till feb.
so if you can apply to more schools , you will have more chance to get in .
dont forget that u need time for score reports and recommendation and stuff like that so totally add more 2 month to your plan.
if you are ready for all exams then come here some where in feb.
hope it helps

thanks zaichik

so 75% is what in the GPA system.

our system has pass at 60% not 50%

also how long should one study for a Part 1 given i forgot most of the pre-clinical basics covered there.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks zaichik

also how long should one study for a Part 1 given i forgot most of the pre-clinical basics covered there.

hi kentist
pass score is not important in fact. every school has it own requirement. but as it was mentioned over 3 is good,
if your average is 60% for example it means that you have gpa= 4*60/100=2.4 not good. if you have 80% it means you have 3.2 its good.

and about second question. everything depends on your background knowledge. and nobody can tell you how long you need for your studying. some of us are studying for more than one year and some of us 2 month.
but the best way for studing in my oppinion is dental decks and released test, you can find dental decks and buy them online, however i am not sure they will send it out of country, just try to google it and you will find the seller site in the first choice.
for released test try to find in american dental student association.
IMPORTANT, from jan 2010 there is a new policy in ada,. If you will get a pass score (75 +) you will not be able to take it again. so you sould study very hard and be ready to get 85+ in the first time which is also a last time. Although every universiy is evaluating your whole package but dont forget that high NBDE score is very importatn
hope it helps

thanks zaichik

Why don;t you get it done from ECE- course by course. It is always better, and you will need that to take the NBDE date.

thanks zaichik

Well the system used to calculate GPA is confusing and complex.
In layman language though, it's your relative score in the class. Your GPA will also depend on what the topper has scored along with the marking strictness (or the lack there of) of your university. Here's something you can use to calculate a VERY rough gpa...

your percentage/topper's percentage x 4

to be considered competent for US dental schools, one should definitely have something >3.5

Well the system used to calculate GPA is confusing and complex.
In layman language though, it's your relative score in the class. Your GPA will also depend on what the topper has scored along with the marking strictness (or the lack there of) of your university. Here's something you can use to calculate a VERY rough gpa...

your percentage/topper's percentage x 4

to be considered competent for US dental schools, one should definitely have something >3.5

what if i was d class topper..den wat..i got a 3.77 in my gpa...

what if i was d class topper..den wat..i got a 3.77 in my gpa...

Well then you probably weren't the topper by a huge margin. If too many students are close to your percentage, it worsens the gpa. That said, alot would also depend on your university and it's reputation in terms of giving marks. Calculation of GPA also takes into account how many students failed courses.

hi guys,i'm a dentist from egypt, i just need to know what do i need to start the NBDE?? what is the ECE? & how can i do it to start the NBDE?