NBDE-2 Score thread and Experience.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitPat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Why don't we start NBDE-2 score thread and the experience associated with the exam. Please feel free to jolt down your total part-2 preperation schedule and books used for the success , and share with everybody.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who have passed, how did your report look like. is it pass fail for all your attempts. did it show
NBDE 1 pass/fail
NBDE 2 pass/fail

Attempts #

what about scores from before 1/12 ?

thank you for sharing.

The score reports are all the same format. Just for before 2012 they have a numerical score and say pass or fail. For after 2012 it just says pass or fail. Also the reports now show all attempts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished the exam on 5/29. I am going to elaborate on what study materials I thought were the best once I get my results back. I want to make sure it is a meaningful post. All together, Part II I thought was not as hard as part I. I walked away feeling much better (compared to part I). Hoping all goes good and I will let you all know when I do.

If someone has nbde part2 material pls let me know. I am willing to buy material. u can pm me..or call me at 248 880 7352

I just finished the exam on 5/29. I am going to elaborate on what study materials I thought were the best once I get my results back. I want to make sure it is a meaningful post. All together, Part II I thought was not as hard as part I. I walked away feeling much better (compared to part I). Hoping all goes good and I will let you all know when I do.

Hey do u have Asda papers soft copy .. Part 2....plz MSG me ..thnks ...

Hi

Cleared part 2 ....gave my exam on may 23,24
Studied for 2 months
Did decks 2011-12, mosby for ortho,pt man,pharm..And asda papers .

good luck for those who r studying ..

Congrats drpat2011& dentest18
Please share your experience that will be a great help..
How many months you study for part 2?
thanks in advance!

Hi

Cleared part 2 ....gave my exam on may 23,24
Studied for 2 months
Did decks 2011-12, mosby for ortho,pt man,pharm..And asda papers .

good luck for those who r studying ..

Hi drpat2011...my exam is in two week. Can you plzzzz give me some tips on what to stress at last time? And, also can you plzzz tell me how much ques should we get correct in ASDA paper to pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi drpat2011...my exam is in two week. Can you plzzzz give me some tips on what to stress at last time? And, also can you plzzz tell me how much ques should we get correct in ASDA paper to pass.

I would suggest u to revised whatever u hav done for the last wk...and wher u feel u need to improve.....fast.
I jus did l and m once...I dont check hw many I was right I jus went thro....

Good luck

Thank you! I feel annoying calling the ADA, but I think I will
tomorrow and see what the status is. I'll post after I call just in case anyone else is
wondering.

Congrats!!!! Did anyone else take the exam and finished around the 29th? If so, please post when
you get your results. I'm praying for a pass. Just remember we are all in this together and we'll all make it through.

Last edited:
You can get the approx. breakdown on the ADA webpage.
My exam was scored on Friday, just waiting for the results!

I PASSED and I am so thankful! Praise the Lord!!

Here is my experience. I hope it helps all of you.
I started off by looking at decks- I became discouraged... I spent like 3 hours just trying to organize them. I found myself reading the decks and forgetting stuff. I needed a book that was organized and in order, so I bought Mosby's and the Board Busters. Board Busters is like the dental decks, but organized and with old exam questions incorporated into the study material. I'm not a good test taker, and this book put all the pieces together for me. I was in the low middle end of my class. Ill be honest to say that I probably studied twice as hard as my classmates. After I went through the entire book ( took me a month) at 4 hours a day, I went through each chapter again and wrote down key points from each chapter... I had about 10 pages of my own notes from each chapter. I then took all of the old released exams... I would immediately look at the correct answer to make sure I didn't confuse things too much. After all of this, I had about 2.5 weeks to go. I went to the coffee shop and pretended it was my "job" to study. I brought my hand written notes from each chapter, boards busters, and the dental decks to the coffee shop for 2.5 weeks ( probably spent about 100 dollars on coffee and donuts).. And went through one subject from my hand written notes, then the dental decks ( just answered the questions on the front and read the important facts on the back of the cards really quick)
For example:
Monday:*
Endo: read 10 page self made note guide from the board busters, do endo dental decks, review board busters section on endo ( total time in hours/ day was 9 hours). Make sure you read the entire book before doing this!

I did this for every section for 2.5 weeks total after the 1 month I took to go through the book carefully.

I then re-reviewed the old exams. There were about 10-15 exact repeat questions and I think it's only fair that all students get these right because they are RELEASED! Also old exams help with trends. Look at 1993-current. Really important. I thought these were about as hard as the actual exam. I was scoring about 72 percent on these AFTER I did board busters, reviewed my own notes from the busters and quickly flipped through the decks.

Ive read a lot of great thing about Mosby's. I got that book too. My problem was I didn't have a good base, so Mosby's was really wordy and confusing for me. I didnt read it, but heard from a friend it was good for pt. Management. Mosby's is hands down the best resource for pt management.

Pharm: downloaded the tufts pharm review from 2007. Great resource. All you need for pharm and nice format with old exam questions. If you read board busters, you'll be fine too. Decks give too much detail in my opinion, but a good way to quiz yourself is to look through the front of the decks after you do Tufts and read Board Busters.
Don't get bogged down with chemical pathways.

Everything else: use the Board Busters. It's actually a good read. I had such a limited knowledge on biomaterials and gold, etc that this was the key for my success.*

I really hope this helps some. Stay strong and focused. You CAN do it. Times like this are when you have to prioritize and just do it.*

Finally, here are the scores my friend got that lead to his failure the first time. He gave me permission to post these. Don't underestimate this exam. It's hard and you need resources. We both got the same grades in school and had about the same DAT scores. The difference was how we studied. Be wise and make a plan.*

318/500. His score was a 74 ( 63.6%)
Endo :( 28/36*
Pedo/ 37/71
Oral surgery: *32/56
Oral pathology/radiology: 42/56
Pros: 35/61
Operative : 39/57
Pharm: 24/38
Perio: 41/62
Management (41/63)
Case based: 68/100

Here is a link to the ADA web site for stats on what you need to pass. (approx) It also lists average amount of questions per section and topics. Its pretty accurate.

http://www.ada.org/sections/educationAndCareers/pdfs/nbde_technical_report.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Yes, it was. I'm really happy about passing, but also know
anyone can pass with enough time and a plan.

List of must haves to pass:
1. Board Busters for all subjects ( if you fail, they will refund you the money you spent)
2. Old exams
3. Decks ( if you want to quiz yourself,otherwise not essential in my opinion)
4. Mosby's for pt management and board busters as well

I forgot to mention above that I bought first aide too. It's a
very simple review but not enough to pass alone.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yes, it was. I'm really happy about passing, but also know
anyone can pass with enough time and a plan.

List of must haves to pass:
1. Board Busters for all subjects ( if you fail, they will refund you the money you spent)
2. Old exams
3. Decks ( if you want to quiz yourself,otherwise not essential in my opinion)
4. Mosby's for pt management and board busters as well

I forgot to mention above that I bought first aide too. It's a
very simple review but not enough to pass alone.

Hi I got the Kaplan Part 2 book and Q bank instead of Board Busters.. do you think that it is sufficient? I really liked Kaplan for Part 1. Thanks!

I didn't use Kaplan for the NBDE part two, so I couldn't help ya much.
Board Busters was really clinically relevant and to the point and that's why I liked it. I know I could have passed by only doing this, but I think whatever works for you is good.

Board Busters was really clinically relevant and to the point and that's why I liked it. I know I could have passed by only doing this, but I think whatever works for you is good.

Okay thank you! I wish I could see it so I can decide...is it an actual book or pdf?

HELLO
are you selling dental board busters nbde 2 i am interested in buying it i sent you a message to but no reply

Board Busters is just dental decks in book format. There is no difference and no clinical aspect to it. And yes I did use it instead of decks because I don't like flashcards.

Hi I got the Kaplan Part 2 book and Q bank instead of Board Busters.. do you think that it is sufficient? I really liked Kaplan for Part 1. Thanks!

You need Mosby's, decks OR board busters, asda papers and for Kaplan part 2 it's a good supplemental but don't rely on it. I borrowed it off of someone for my test, but didn't use it since it had no context really. Q bank is good though so use that.

You need Mosby's, decks OR board busters, asda papers and for Kaplan part 2 it's a good supplemental but don't rely on it. I borrowed it off of someone for my test, but didn't use it since it had no context really. Q bank is good though so use that.

Thanks so much! I do have decks, mosby and ASDA papers.. so won't buy busters.. I agree the Kaplan 2 is very less in content..

hey Dent911
are you selling your board busters nbde 2 if yes i am interested in buying it waiting for your reply

thanks

Sorry, my mailbox was full and I didn't get your PM. I am going to keep it.
I wrote in it heavily. Also, there is a newer addition coming out soon ( I e-mailed the publisher) that has more pt management stuff in it. Might be more helpful for you. Wish I would have gotten it later cause pt management is probably one of the more confusing parts..

Hi,
i have used 2007-2008 part 2 Dental Decks to sell. very good condition. All the cards are present. not a single missing card.
if anyone interested please contact me at [email protected]
thanks

hey!
i am about to tak my part 2 boards in a week. there s one thing that concerns me...are the radiographs in the case questions clear enough??i have a few old paper soft copies n the radiographs in them were really bad n undiagnostic. so i was worried.
all those who already have taken the test, can somebody please tell me.

another question here...
d ADA site says d test wud have 500 questions.
was solving the 1993 test n found it 2 have 750 questions (200 each in component a1, a2, a3 and 150 in comp b)
what is the exact test pattern?

day one 400 questions like part 1 all mixed up topic wise.
day two 100 clinical based questions with case studies/picture/radiographs.
Hope this helps.

hey!
i am about to tak my part 2 boards in a week. there s one thing that concerns me...are the radiographs in the case questions clear enough??i have a few old paper soft copies n the radiographs in them were really bad n undiagnostic. so i was worried.
all those who already have taken the test, can somebody please tell me.

The radiographs were not that great, but don't worry, most of the questions they ask you can deduce from other information they give you. I would not stress too much over the case based exam, in my honest opinion I thought it was pretty easy and straightforward. Just make sure you know antibiotic prophylaxis really well as they seemed to ask me about that with every case. As far as the exam goes, the first day was 400 questions and it was extremely random. I had a lot of medical management questions I wasn't expecting and insurance liability etc. But all and all, it's a fairly easy exam to simply pass. I took mine June 22/23 and received my scores this past Monday. I passed and I really didn't study extremely hard for it~ 3 weeks at night after clinic. Good luck and I hope this helps, don't let everyone on here stress you out. I got a 98 on part 1 btw so I wouldn't try to steer you wrong.

i have not planned yet
what about you
you can mail me at [email protected]
HI, im a dentist frm India?? do u have all the ASDA papers for nbde 2?? i bought a cd from sdn but wasnt wt all ASDA papers,Mosby and tufts--pharmac??
Do you have these 3 materials.. i can buy them from u...presently im planning to start wt decks..when r u answering?? THANKS
PLEASE LET ME KNOW...my email is [email protected]

another question here...
d ADA site says d test wud have 500 questions.
was solving the 1993 test n found it 2 have 750 questions (200 each in component a1, a2, a3 and 150 in comp b)
what is the exact test pattern?
hi....
Do you have all the ASDA papers.? tufts pharmac n mosbys review...??..I would like to buy them please let me know...thanks

i also gave my exam last month ..nw i am applying in colleges ...wat was ur result ..i want to ask some thing abt application process an all

Hi, I just finished my part 2 exam and would like to share my story.
Day 1 was fine, they asked moderately hard questions, but nothing to fear if you have studied mosby's and the decks well. Day 2 was a bit less straight forward, or shall I say had more clinical questions.
All in all review mosby's, decks, and nbde 2.
Goodluck

Day 1 was fine, they asked moderately hard questions, but nothing to fear if you have studied mosby's and the decks well. Day 2 was a bit less straight forward, or shall I say had more clinical questions.
Goodluck

Hello Hrushdi,

After your exams did you feel the Mosby's to be more important than Decks? Were the majority of the questons based on Mosby concepts? I am asking this because I am planning to concentrate mainly on Decks and Mosby's just for pt management. Your experience on this would be really appreciated.

Dent 2.

I did the opposite that you are going to do and so did most of my classmates. Mosby main study source, decks for pt management, Tufts pharm and path review, asda papers. I studied a month after clinic and got an 88. It pass/fail now so if you did what I did you should for sure pass.

Hello Hrushdi,

After your exams did you feel the Mosby's to be more important than Decks? Were the majority of the questons based on Mosby concepts? I am asking this because I am planning to concentrate mainly on Decks and Mosby's just for pt management. Your experience on this would be really appreciated.

Dent 2.

I studied mosby's for patient management, tufts for pharm, and decks for everything else. I passed, it's not that bad of an exam. Good luck

Goodluck

Hey hrushii.
I have same ques as dent 2 .....is mosby more helpful than decks ? Hw was over ll xam .....thnks ..:)

Hi,all I got 84 in Nbde 1, and I failed in Nbde 2 with 74 percentile,I need suggestion. Shud I reevaluate my score,any chances of getting 1 percent more,are there anyone who has passed by reevaluation.also I need to know how much total score required for passing for 600, not the percentile ,anyone with genuine suggestion ,tnz