NBDE Part 1 help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me.123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope all is well! I was wondering if there is someone who recently took NBDE Part 1 who I can talk to? I am not quite sure about resources to use. Thank you.
-Megan

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I just finished taking NDBE Part 1. I used the decks and mastery app and i passed! I would strongly recommend the decks. I thought the decks were really good although very long to get through. There’s over 1000 cards. I split them up into 12 sub decks with 100 cards each and reviewed one of those every day.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I just finished taking NDBE Part 1. I used the decks and mastery app and i passed! I would strongly recommend the decks. I thought the decks were really good although very long to get through. There’s over 1000 cards. I split them up into 12 sub decks with 100 cards each and reviewed one of those every day.
Hey, thanks a bunch for your input! I'm going through the decks right now. However, I'm not quite sure how to go about studying for the Microbio/Path section. Do you have any suggestions for that section?
-Megan

Hey, thanks a bunch for your input! I'm going through the decks right now. However, I'm not quite sure how to go about studying for the Microbio/Path section. Do you have any suggestions for that section?
-Megan

For MicroBio and Path, there was a resource I used to get a baseline for the high yield information called “Pass the Dental Boards”. It’s a YouTube series online (mostly popular for their dental anatomy and occlusion lectures).

Outside of that, I used SketchyMicro for micro and I found some general pathology guides for common pathology seen in the NBDE (Just looking up the common path seen in the ASDA tests is probably sufficient too).

I personally wasn’t a big fan of Dental Decks. I thought it was too much information and hard to use efficiently, but for other people it worked wonders because of how comprehensive it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you only need a 75% to pass but really I probably had like a 68%, maybe even less. I would say focus on your strengths. I semi negated a section (micro) but studied path (please check your PM on how I studied for that), DENTAL ANATOMY ** , Biochem and anatomy. Going in, I knew that if I got at least an 80% on dental anatomy, 80% on gross anatomy, and about a 70% on Biochem and pathophys then I would be golden. I did study glance through the big big microbes like gram neg, gram pos, staph, HSV, etc. stuff like that but didn’t really care to get into details about other microbes.

I hope this helps! :)

So you only need a 75% to pass but really I probably had like a 68%, maybe even less. I would say focus on your strengths. I semi negated a section (micro) but studied path (please check your PM on how I studied for that), DENTAL ANATOMY ** , Biochem and anatomy. Going in, I knew that if I got at least an 80% on dental anatomy, 80% on gross anatomy, and about a 70% on Biochem and pathophys then I would be golden. I did study glance through the big big microbes like gram neg, gram pos, staph, HSV, etc. stuff like that but didn’t really care to get into details about other microbes.

I hope this helps! :)
Thank you so much!!

For MicroBio and Path, there was a resource I used to get a baseline for the high yield information called “Pass the Dental Boards”. It’s a YouTube series online (mostly popular for their dental anatomy and occlusion lectures).

Outside of that, I used SketchyMicro for micro and I found some general pathology guides for common pathology seen in the NBDE (Just looking up the common path seen in the ASDA tests is probably sufficient too).

I personally wasn’t a big fan of Dental Decks. I thought it was too much information and hard to use efficiently, but for other people it worked wonders because of how comprehensive it is.
Thanks a bunch for your input!!

Thanks a bunch for your input!!

Absolutely! Oh, and be sure to know the First Aid section of Dental Anatomy front and back in addition to whatever resources you are studying. I probably had 15+ questions straight from that section that I probably wouldn’t have got otherwise.

Hey everyone, hope all is well! I was wondering if there is someone who recently took NBDE Part 1 who I can talk to? I am not quite sure about resources to use. Thank you.
-Megan

I took mine last week! I don't have my results yet, but I didn't feel too bad after the exam. I used Mastery App (went through the whole thing once; then reviewed the "reds & yellows" only). Did 2 full released ASDA exams and one of the 200 questions ASDA papers. Used lecture notes for Anatomy only focusing on Head & Neck and did the same for the dental section of the exam. I went hard on the dental section (morphology, Ca+ times, eruption sequences) since those are the easiest questions to answer.