Nbde part 2 results-need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental1112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used 2004 Decks, Mosby's, Tufts pharm review for this exam. Please let me know what I should do.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ribbon,

Thanks for the response. I have looked at a different scoring sheet from a friend and it is out of 600 questions as well. I guess I really just didn't score very well on this exam at all.
What I used to study on it was Decks 2004 twice, Mobsy's once and Tufts Pharm 2x. I went through 1993 practice exam and felt that exam was most comparable to the real exam. I was scoring around 70% but I guess that's not well enough to pass.

Ribbon,

Thanks for the response. I have looked at a different scoring sheet from a friend and it is out of 600 questions as well. I guess I really just didn't score very well on this exam at all.
What I used to study on it was Decks 2004 twice, Mobsy's once and Tufts Pharm 2x. I went through 1993 practice exam and felt that exam was most comparable to the real exam. I was scoring around 70% but I guess that's not well enough to pass.

Seems like they give you a score, xxx/500, which is your total number corect, xxx, out of a total of 500 questions on the exam (general + case). Then they also tell you your score on the case questions alone, xx/100.

Thus it may seem like 600 questions total, but in fact the /500 number is everything, and the /100 number is the case questions pulled out of that /500 number.

I haven't taken the exam so my statements are from pure speculation and reading this forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like they give you a score, xxx/500, which is your total number corect, xxx, out of a total of 500 questions on the exam (general + case). Then they also tell you your score on the case questions alone, xx/100.

Thus it may seem like 600 questions total, but in fact the /500 number is everything, and the /100 number is the case questions pulled out of that /500 number.

I haven't taken the exam so my statements are from pure speculation and reading this forum.

This is correct. If you want your total out of 500 just take a look at your report and add all of "Your # Correct" from the 9 subject areas not including the Case-Based Items.

I went into the exam shooting for 350/500. From other posts it seems that if you score 345-350/500 you will be in the safe zone.

This is correct. If you want your total out of 500 just take a look at your report and add all of "Your # Correct" from the 9 subject areas not including the Case-Based Items.

I went into the exam shooting for 350/500. From other posts it seems that if you score 345-350/500 you will be in the safe zone.

Opnwide,

I added my scores multiple times. Correct me if Im wrong, day 1 was 400 total questions and day 2 was 100 questions. Total of 500. I added my list of questions which were 9 sections plus the additional 1 section of case based. The first 9 sections, day 1, was a total of 500. Plus adding the 1 section, day 2, gives you 100. So 600 total. I only had 500 total questions on my exam. I don't understand it? My total 9 sections correct was 311 and day 2 was 64. Giving me a total correct of 375 and a 73 failed score. I don't understand this at all.

Opnwide,

I added my scores multiple times. Correct me if Im wrong, day 1 was 400 total questions and day 2 was 100 questions. Total of 500. I added my list of questions which were 9 sections plus the additional 1 section of case based. The first 9 sections, day 1, was a total of 500. Plus adding the 1 section, day 2, gives you 100. So 600 total. I only had 500 total questions on my exam. I don't understand it? My total 9 sections correct was 311 and day 2 was 64. Giving me a total correct of 375 and a 73 failed score. I don't understand this at all.

Ok lemme see if I can explain this
Your 311 is out of 500.
311-64=247 is what you scored on day 1.
So for day 1 you scored 247/400
And for day 2 you scored 64/100
Total 311/500.
The board just reports how you did on day 2 during the case based questions. The case questions however came from many different disciplines/subjects so in order for you to calculate your "actual" raw score you don't add your score from the case based questions because they are already accounted for in each of the different subject scores. Gosh I hope that makes sense, if not maybe someone else can explain it better, sorry.

I have contacted the NBDE for reciving of documents to be approved, here is there responsr FYI,

Dear Dr. Hakemi,

Please check our website regularly for updates regarding when you can send your documents. Please note that you cannot send documents prior to creating an online profile. The online profile registration should open shortly.

NDEB Staff
www.ndeb.ca
director@ndeb.ca

I don't know if I'd count so much on this. For example, I scored 410/500 and barely passed w/ a 77. Other's I have talked to however, have scored quite a bit lower, but had a much higher composite score. Hence, there appears to be quite a bit of variation possible.

hey i need help with nbde part 2 study materials..

any1 have nbde part 2 decks 2011?????... n mosbys??/..
if u do have it or know from where can i get it then please send me a message..
please i really need it...
how is kaplan for part 2??..

I don't know if I'd count so much on this. For example, I scored 410/500 and barely passed w/ a 77. Other's I have talked to however, have scored quite a bit lower, but had a much higher composite score. Hence, there appears to be quite a bit of variation possible.

I am pretty sure your adding your score up incorrectly as 410/500 = 82% correct and there is no explanation why your actual comp score of 77% is lower.

I am pretty sure your adding your score up incorrectly as 410/500 = 82% correct and there is no explanation why your actual comp score of 77% is lower.

Trust me. I added my score correctly and even had a couple friends verify. I have no idea why my actual score is lower than than the composite score, but I figure it has to do with others performing very well with the questions that comprised my exam.

Others at my school were shocked as well. I've been tempted to make inquiries about my score report, but considering I only studied for 1.5 weeks about 2 hours a day I'm just happy I passed. It won't accept my O.S residency position either, so the only reason I really care is because I'm vane.

Last edited:
Trust me. I added my score correctly and even had a couple friends verify. I have no idea why my actual score is lower than than the composite score, but I figure it has to do with others performing very well with the questions that comprised my exam.

Others at my school were shocked as well. I've been tempted to make inquiries about my score report, but considering I only studied for 1.5 weeks about 2 hours a day I'm just happy I passed. It won't accept my O.S residency position either, so the only reason I really care is because I'm vane.

its pretty surprising...cause I got 357/500 and got a composite score of 80...

Members don't see this ad :)
its pretty surprising...cause I got 357/500 and got a composite score of 80...

Yeah I think I was 356/500 which was an 80%. KOM why dont u copy your score report because I don't believe you. I don't think for 1 sec that the board would expect you to score 410/500 and give you a 77% even if it was a so called "easier exam". Was an 80% 440/500? I don't think so. Prove it KOM and we can put an end to this nonsense or simply prove to u that your wrong and don't know how to interpret your scores.

:thumbup:

Yeah I think I was 356/500 which was an 80%. KOM why dont u copy your score report because I don't believe you. I don't think for 1 sec that the board would expect you to score 410/500 and give you a 77% even if it was a so called "easier exam". Was an 80% 440/500? I don't think so. Prove it KOM and we can put an end to this nonsense or simply prove to u that your wrong and don't know how to interpret your scores.

You guys aren't very trustworthy.

Operative Dentistry: 48/71 national mean 41.7
pharmacology: 27/42 national mean 25.6
pros: 38/53 national mean 36.2
O.S/pain control: 32/58 national mean 34.0
Ortho/ped dentistry: 40/60 national mean 50.9
Endo: 32/36 national mean 24.2
Perio: 37/60 national mean 40.2
Oral Path/radiology 42/57 national mean 38.4
patient management 46/63 national mean 42.4

case based items: 68/100 national mean 62

Total: 48+27+38+32+40+32+37+42+46+68 = 410

So, as you can see, the national mean in many of the sections was quite high. This must be the reason.

Last edited:
You guys aren't very trustworthy.

Operative Dentistry: 48/71 national mean 41.7
pharmacology: 27/42 national mean 25.6
pros: 38/53 national mean 36.2
O.S/pain control: 32/58 national mean 34.0
Ortho/ped dentistry: 40/60 national mean 50.9
Endo: 32/36 national mean 24.2
Perio: 37/60 national mean 40.2
Oral Path/radiology 42/57 national mean 38.4
patient management 46/63 national mean 42.4

case based items: 68/100 national mean 62

Total: 48+27+38+32+40+32+37+42+46+68 = 410

So, as you can see, the national mean in many of the sections was quite high. This must be the reason.

Hate to break it to you.... but you did calculate your score incorrect. Your actual score is 348/500. The case base items ARE INCLUDED in the 9 different subject scores. The way you know if this correct is if you add all the possible questions per subject (in your case: 71 + 42 + 53 + 58 + 60 + 36 + 60 + 57 + 63) equals 500! So you are adding an extra 68 points to your score by adding your case based items because they are already included in your subject scores. Hope this helps clarify for you! 348/500 sounds exactly right for a score of 77

Hate to break it to you.... but you did calculate your score incorrect. Your actual score is 348/500. The case base items ARE INCLUDED in the 9 different subject scores. The way you know if this correct is if you add all the possible questions per subject (in your case: 71 + 42 + 53 + 58 + 60 + 36 + 60 + 57 + 63) equals 500! So you are adding an extra 68 points to your score by adding your case based items because they are already included in your subject scores. Hope this helps clarify for you! 348/500 sounds exactly right for a score of 77

LMAO. Duh. So i guess, the case based items are essentially tallied into each of the individual 9 sections listed first.

Sorry for my confusion guys! Thanks for setting things straight! Now, I'm really glad I passed. :)

This is a future dentist? At least 5 people questioned his score yet he brushed it off, not even considering thatt he was wrong. Love it.

Hello there , iam FTD, i passed part one ,now iam into toefl ..
My quest. is how long does it take to be done from part 2 usually ,, 4.5 months are enough to cover everything? help !

Hello there , iam FTD, i passed part one ,now iam into toefl ..
My quest. is how long does it take to be done from part 2 usually ,, 4.5 months are enough to cover everything? help !

Hey wdent,
How are you?How's studies coming along?School is going great here.Can't wait to have you here.Do well on your Toefl.Tlk to you later.

Twinklestar123 glad to hear from you !
Well iam doin toefl , studies r kinda slow ,maybe because i still have till feb 26 to exam ,,,well ill do my best ...
I reallyyyyyyyy wana be there as soon as possible , cant wait to leave NC ,and go to univ.
but its a knowing that this day is comming !
take care

LMAO at KOM!! Thank You SmilingHokie for explaining. I can't believe KOM is actually going into OS residency.