MD & DO NBME exam at the end of first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pericardium

CPR certified
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, the school I attend gives us an NBME exam that covers the material we have gone over in our first year (systems based) which includes biochem, immuno, heme/onc, micro, cardiac, respiratory and renal. The NBME exam had faculty-selected questions, where all of the questions had a correct response of 80% or more on the USMLE.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with these kinds of exams and how well they can predict true USMLE performance?

Members don't see this ad.

Granted my school isn't systems based, but I wouldn't put too much stock. People who score high may also score high later, and people who score low haven't studied for Step yet. It may be accurate in hindsight, though one year + M2 experience helps a considerable amount. People go from scores that barely pass to 250+ in less than half a semester just by memorizing. That's not the rule, obviously, but the point is that you have time to put in the work so don't psych yourself out by using this as a crystal ball.

Don't worry about the result. If anything, may terrify some students, which can negatively affect performance in and of itself. Play their game, and once the cute time is over, focus on doing well in second year courses. If really worried, you can slowly use first aid to review concepts. You have plenty of time to learn what you are currently deficient in.

First year makes a lot more sense during second year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't put any stock into the score. My NBME vs. Actual Step Score two weeks later varied by more than 1 SD. That being said, take it seriously and the material is great because they ask things relevant to step and in a familiar format. Just don't psych yourself out with the numeric score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, the school I attend gives us an NBME exam that covers the material we have gone over in our first year (systems based) which includes biochem, immuno, heme/onc, micro, cardiac, respiratory and renal. The NBME exam had faculty-selected questions, where all of the questions had a correct response of 80% or more on the USMLE.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with these kinds of exams and how well they can predict true USMLE performance?
They aren't a good predictor of your score that far out. However, as with all test, study hard and try to get the most out of it. Congrats on finishing up your first year!

The thing about standardized test is that they are... standardized. They really should be asking about the same stuff in a similar way. If the test you are referring to is actually close to what the Step tests will be, then more power to you. The more practice you can get with a standardize test will only help, even if you don't do as well on the practice test as you would have wanted.

Our school's block exams were actually all old NBME questions! I wouldn't put too much stock into them as they are faculty-selected. Our block NBME exams were also faculty-selected, so there was a huge bias towards whatever questions the faculty members happened to like. In my experience, the faculty-selected exams vs actual Step 1 were vastly different in content (at least at our school), so I wouldn't worry too much about "predictive" value. Besides, you have an whole entire year of path to go through, which is emphasized more on Step 1 than the first year stuff.

Will this test be graded for you all? I would just look at it as a great opportunity to experience the format of NBME questions! If they are testing you on regular physiology questions with a correct response of 80% or more, they should be pretty straightforward questions. Biochem is always a b*tch though.

Our school's block exams were actually all old NBME questions! I wouldn't put too much stock into them as they are faculty-selected. Our block NBME exams were also faculty-selected, so there was a huge bias towards whatever questions the faculty members happened to like. In my experience, the faculty-selected exams vs actual Step 1 were vastly different in content (at least at our school), so I wouldn't worry too much about "predictive" value. Besides, you have an whole entire year of path to go through, which is emphasized more on Step 1 than the first year stuff.

Will this test be graded for you all? I would just look at it as a great opportunity to experience the format of NBME questions! If they are testing you on regular physiology questions with a correct response of 80% or more, they should be pretty straightforward questions. Biochem is always a b*tch though.

The test is only worth 1% of our overall grade, and is based on performance against the class. I go to a systems based school, so we have had path for cardiac, respiratory and renal. I never thought about how much effect faculty selected questions would have, but I imagine the test would still be less than realistic compared to a true NBME.

The test is only worth 1% of our overall grade, and is based on performance against the class. I go to a systems based school, so we have had path for cardiac, respiratory and renal. I never thought about how much effect faculty selected questions would have, but I imagine the test would still be less than realistic compared to a true NBME.
Yeah, agreed. Full length CBSEs or NBMEs from the NBME are the only assessments that truly have predictive value for Step 1.

Think of it as good practice for step style questions.

>80% correct is setting the bar pretty low.

Probably an easy version of an NBME that the school uses to see who is progressing and who isn't at this point. I bet they will give more exams throughout the year. In all honesty, I would give it zero predictive value.