NBME prediction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HueySmith

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are scoring around 220s to mid 230s on nbme, would it still be beneficial to take the usmle?

Members don't see this ad.

If you took them timed and under test day conditions, then yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what you're aiming for but in general a 230 is a great score.

I would think a 230 is a fine score.

I’m curious about what people think the minimum NBME score for you last practice test before Step 1 should be if you’re aiming to score average.

I’m curious about what people think the minimum NBME score for you last practice test before Step 1 should be if you’re aiming to score average.
I think 230 is average, so shoot for 230?

Supposedly there is a trend that the NBME's under predict a bit so I would say you are in great shape as long as you aren't aiming for anything crazy competitive. A 230 is competitive for a lot of stuff.

Supposedly there is a trend that the NBME's under predict a bit so I would say you are in great shape as long as you aren't aiming for anything crazy competitive. A 230 is competitive for a lot of stuff.
What would you say the cutoff is, in your experience? Say, 210 two weeks before Step 1 --> don't take/push back?

What would you say the cutoff is, in your experience? Say, 210 two weeks before Step 1 --> don't take/push back?

I am of the opinion (could be wrong) that a passing score on USMLE (200+) is better than not having one. Because IMO if you are getting low 200's on USMLE I don't see how you will get 600+ on comlex so you will be looking at less competitive things anyways and the USMLE will only open more doors for those less competitive specialties. To be safe I would say if your NBME/UWSA averages are above 215-220 I would take.

Reactions: 3 users
I am of the opinion (could be wrong) that a passing score on USMLE (200+) is better than not having one. Because IMO if you are getting low 200's on USMLE I don't see how you will get 600+ on comlex so you will be looking at less competitive things anyways and the USMLE will only open more doors for those less competitive specialties. To be safe I would say if your NBME/UWSA averages are above 215-220 I would take.
I agree, having a Step score even in the 210s range still gives a DO student more options than just having a 500+ COMLEX score

I generally agree with the sentiment that you should take step if you're scoring around or above a 215 on your practices. Below that and your risk of failure starts to creep up and even passing scores end up being unremarkable to all but the programs that nominally require a step score.

I would say that a 210 on your last practice, especially if significantly higher than the previous practice might not indicate you're going to do well on it.

As for the OP. Your outcomes will probably be good. You're preforming well enough that even if you run into a bad test you're not likely going to dip under a 220 while also potentially hitting above a 230 if you get a good test.

All good advice above. I'd just add that it may make a difference which NBMEs we're talking about. From my experience over a year ago: the earlier NBMEs had information which seems to have made its way into most review sources. The newer exams may play to different strengths beyond memorization. I'd recommend folks take at least 1 of the "newer" NBMEs before getting too comfortable with a scoring range.

With that said, if you're hitting 230+ with a goal of 230 you're probably good to go regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
i took uwsa1 and scored 250 but I still feel like I am not prepared....how much does uwsa1 overpredict your score by?

i took uwsa1 and scored 250 but I still feel like I am not prepared....how much does uwsa1 overpredict your score by?

UWSA 1 is way too generous with its curve. UWSA2 on the other hand, have been very close to the score people got on the real exam, assuming you're taking it as the very last practice test before the real deal.