NBME / Step 1 exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I want 280

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear people, I would like to know your opinion.
I have been studying over a year for the exam, i used many sources to study from and I just did uworld first pass with 82 %. My exam is in april and I wont postpone it more than that. I am done and suffocating with studying ( 8 on avrg per day).
Since I wont postpone it no matter what, then its no use for me to use NBME exam to know where I stand. right? Even if i get a bad grade on NBME, i will go for the exam bcz i dont think i will study for the exam as hard as I have done for the past year.
Honestly, am kind of scared of doing NBME to know where I stand even though am doing well on uworld. I just have to revise first aid as much as I can, memorize and do another pass. Whether I do NBME or not, it won't affect me at.
So what do you think, should I do an NBME or not?
And another point, If i did well on NBME exam then I wont study as hard as I have to, and if I get a bad grade, I will just get depressed and think of the time I have wasted. So i wanna be free from these feelings and Just Focus well and aim hard I guess?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dear people, I would like to know your opinion.
I have been studying over a year for the exam, i used many sources to study from and I just did uworld first pass with 82 %. My exam is in april and I wont postpone it more than that. I am done and suffocating with studying ( 8 on avrg per day).
Since I wont postpone it no matter what, then its no use for me to use NBME exam to know where I stand. right? Even if i get a bad grade on NBME, i will go for the exam bcz i dont think i will study for the exam as hard as I have done for the past year.
Honestly, am kind of scared of doing NBME to know where I stand even though am doing well on uworld. I just have to revise first aid as much as I can, memorize and do another pass. Whether I do NBME or not, it won't affect me at.
So what do you think, should I do an NBME or not?
And another point, If i did well on NBME exam then I wont study as hard as I have to, and if I get a bad grade, I will just get depressed and think of the time I have wasted. So i wanna be free from these feelings and Just Focus well and aim hard I guess?
You should do NBMEs. That's great and all with uworld, but you need to take the practices NBMEs as they are more or less so reflective of how you will do..the real exam is a bit different from uworld and the practice exams, but there's a good correlation for the most part with how you do on practice NBMEs and the real exam. Since your exam is in April...I'd do a practice exam maybe next week and if you do well, do one every other week before your exam with light studying in between.
But yes, you need to do NBMEs...it's recommend..start with the most recent ones..or you can do the last 4 recent one, with the older one first.
280 is a high score... GL with that.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I would do at least 1-2 to get a feel for timing of blocks and timing of your breaks. This test is a marathon, and your timing strategies are almost as important as your memorization of FA. When are you going to take breaks? Are you someone who can do a 3 minute break at your desk and go straight to the next block to save time for your lunch period, or do you need to space your breaks out more? These are things that can only really be determined by simulating testing conditions. And even if you aren't willing to postpone, your username suggests you do care about the score. Having some sort of expectation is useful for most people.

I don't know that you need to do much more than that. I found during dedicated time that NBMEs were actually detracting from my learning, since you can't review them or learn from them. Once I knew I was in my target score range, I stopped taking them. But I am grateful that I took the ~3 that I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above posts, also thought to add that having done all offline and online NBMEs, there are some topics/images that recur that were never on any UW practice tests or questions, so the only way you'd see those would be to take and study the NBMEs.

Thanks guys, yea maybe I will do NBME next week
And plus I do it timed and usually end on time or before 2 min

Last edited: