NCSU application review??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annemal22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does NCSU do post-mortems?? My rejection letter said they will be having a seminar about improving applications in NC in April. . .but I am OOS and can't fly down there for it. Anyone know who to contact?

Members don't see this ad.

Annemal22, as far as I know they don't do individual file reviews. I was both this year and last year. Last year I went to the seminar of which you speak and here was my impression. It was very impersonal and marginally helpful. Basically the director of student services made a powerpoint (which is currently on the website) and went over the statistics of last years applicant pool. There was an opportunity to ask questions at the end of the session but they weren't very straight forward answers in my opinion. Very general. It wouldn't hurt to e-mail someone in the office though.

Hello

I am IS and was rejected last year. This year I am on the waitlist (keeping my fingers crossed ). I couldnt make the review last year and emailed them, and from what I understand bascially the review just goes over the stats of the applicants from the application cycle, and they will post the powerpoint they go over on the web ( you can find last years on there right now under the FAQ i believe). I know they dont offer individual application reviews. I had a friend that went to the review last year and said it wasnt helpful at all. You could probably contact jeff huckel. I think he is the one I spoke to last year. Hope that is helpful!

I had a discussion with Jeff Huckel last week and found him very helpful. This might be due to my unique circumstances of applying 11 years after my last application. Basically he said that they take everything into consideration - GPA, GRE, and all the essays, as well as experience. Write your essays as if you are applying for a job and indicate why you should be the one they choose. This might seem rather general to you, but it really points out some things that most people don't think about. I found it helpful, but then, I'm used to deciphering cryptic statements. Figure out if your GPA meets the standards, then work outward. Broaden your experiences both in vet med, general animal, and others.