NCSU or Wisconsin?? HEEEEELLLP

Started by bluefiona
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bluefiona

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any input into this matter would be fantastic. I am really really really struggling to decide between NCSU and Madison (both are out of state for me). I visited both schools, and loved them both for very different reasons. I thought the people at Madison were amazing, and they are very research heavy, which is what I am interested in. On the other hand, NC had amazing facilities, and parts of their ciriculum that seemed great. If anybody has any helpful information, I would really love to hear it. I feel like I'll never be able to make this decision, and My husband wants me to do what is best for me, so he is up for either one... Thanks 😱
 
i had a heartwretching decision to make too (davis vs csu). my only advice is to go somewhere quiet to listen to yourself (after, of course, reading everyone else's pros and cons here) - you know deep down what the "right" choice is for you...
 
I did undergrad at NCSU and have spent summers up in Wisconsin. Although I haven't gone to school in Madison I've been to the campus a few times. They are both awesome schools and I applied to vet school for both as well. Honestly just based on atmosphere and feel of the city I'd go with Wisconsin!! Madison is a great college town, Raleigh just doesn't have the same feel by far. Since they are such similar schools and each has excellent strengths...where I'd have to spend 4 years of my life, and my happiness there, would make the decision for me. Madison>>>Raleigh hands down! Of course if you're used to frigid weather 6 months out of the year that's a plus...I don't think you can beat North Carolina weather!😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this is just one Wolfpacker's opinion, but I love North Carolina and NCSU more than any other place I've ever been. The people in the area are so helpful, not to mention how warm the reception was when we went to the open house stuff. I hope you went, because I feel like they really let us know that they only are going to take people they believe in to do well and lead the veterinary community. I have visited other vet schools, but didn't ever get the feeling that someone would do everything in their power to help me succeed simply because they believe in me like NCSU did. I am of course biased because I completed undergrad here, but I do love the school. Like you said, as well, the facilities are amazing and you know that at NCSU you will be on the front of cutting edge equipment and working with some of the best in the business for whatever you decide to do. The other posters are right though, go somewhere and really weigh it out for yourself. You'll know where you feel right at. Hope that helps some.:luck:
 
As other posters have mentioned we can only share with you basically what we would do, however, when it comes down to it your gut will tell you. It sounds like you are leaning toward Wisconsin. In terms of research I will have to agree that Wisconsin has amazing opportunities, but definitely don't discount NCSU. They are building many new research facilities (Centennial master Plan), not to mentiont the one they just built. The Triangle area is an incredible place to be for research and the collaborations between RTP and the other universities and NCSU are great and encouraged!

I love the facilities and the people at NCSU, I love the NC weather and the availability of so many activities (mountains and ocean) so close to Raleigh. I agree with WolfpackTwirler that I just felt very welcomed by the faculty, staff and students. I really feel this is a place I can succeed and grow as a budding veterinarian and scientist. I too am interested in research so I have weighed my options as well.

Wisonsin is a great school and Madison a great city. True Raleigh is less of a college town, but I am kinda done with the college atmosphere myself. I hope you got an opportunity to visit both schools because I truly believe you will find a gut instinct to go to one, but it's always nice to hear other opinions.

Good luck!!!:luck:
 
thanks so much, that is really helpful. I did go to visit NC State but i was unable to go on the openhouse weekend. One of my main concerns was that I felt like the faculty at Wisc. would do anything for you to help you succeed, and since i didn't get to go to NC state I never really got a feel one way or another. thanks again to everyone for their advice...