NCSU reputation?

Started by PacMan02
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PacMan02

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I just found SDN and it seems like the people on SDN offer a wealth of information...so I am hoping to tap into that!

Like many people, I am trying to pick a school right now. I was looking for people who can tell me more about NCSU, especially if you have looked into it and decided to or not to attend, or you currently attend NCSU. I am early in the process of choosing a school, so any advice (good/bad/neutral) would be GREATLY appreciated!!

A couple of questions in particular:

What are the school's strengths and weaknesses?

What do you think of their tracking? After having spoken with faculty, I know that the "focus areas" were reorganized a couple of years ago due to student frustration with the course selection process.

Although they rank highly, how do they compare to older, well-ranked schools? (And, does age matter? Meaning, if you are top tier, does it matter if a program is a historically top program versus a younger top-rated program?)

What is your impression of their faculty as compared to that of other schools?

How happy are their students? (I have a small sample size - one 1st year and one 4th year - and they seem to gripe a lot, but that can occur during the school year regardless of institution!)

Thank you so much for any help or thoughts that you can offer!!
 
I think the school boasts awesome facilities and state of the art equipment. Simply from being able to visit a lot in my years as an undergrad, I have seen it grow and now they are on to building a new small animal teaching hospital, followed by a new large animal teaching hospital. They owned the nation's first MRI machine for animals kept in a vet school, donated to them for the program by Iams Inc. They have a very strong small animal program, and a great large animal (equine especially i've heard) program. I think the ranking has to do with the fact that they can give you a great education in some of the best facilities in the country. They are very proud of this, so just go on a tour sometime of the CVM and you'll see and hear all about it. The faculty seem very nice and eager to help you out, but I know that they are very intent on making you work to be the best you can. That could be why you hear some gripes sometime from current students! Of course, I doubt any of us are really ready for the commitment that vet school takes when we get in it! I have worked for five different NCSU alumni, and worked with many current students. So far, I have not heard anything except the occasional it's a ton of work, but never has anyone said anything except that it was well worth it. I love NCSU so I'm a little biased, but definitely talk to them, go out and see the place, and make your own opinion. Hope that helps and good luck!:luck: