Neck pain from studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aymar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else suffer from severe neck pain/stiffness from the long hours? Even before med school I had some issues, and seeing a massage therapist regularly was the only thing that really ever worked for me. Recently it's gotten really bad, to the point that I'm having tension headaches as well.

Has anyone had experience with this? Would you be willing to share what has worked for you or suggest some changes I can make to my study routine? I study mostly at school, so when I am sitting it is in a proper office chair. This week I started using a standing desk, but I still find myself tensing since I learn best by writing/rewriting my notes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
If you’re looking down too much, you’re doing it wrong. Get something to hoist material up. Buh bye neck pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Just wait until your surgery rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope! But I go to a DO school and we get OMM! Seriously try it out.

I think you may be spending too much time studying (in addition to poor posture)

Take a break and do some light exercise and stretching (may help w/ the tension headaches as well)

This is definitely a serious epidemic in medical school.

I get tension headaches from neck stuff, but what really gets me is upper back. My rhomboids and upper trap are in constant spasm. massage therapy is only thing that helps, but it's expensive!

Get a book stand if you're using paper text!!!! I was able to go through 8 hrs without wanting to die.

I have this problem with standing desks if they are too tall - make sure that your arms are able to hang by your sides, and get a book stand or something else to get what you are reading up to the proper height.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I also take written notes and have this problem. Doing yoga/stretch breaks has helped, but it still sucks. :(

I've found that I'm very tense a lot and have muscles contracted when they don't need to be. Just keep in mind that you should stay relaxed. One really bad thing that I do is raise my shoulders slightly for no apparent reason and this causes a ton of strain on my rhomboids. The guy who said it's psychological is probably right, your mindset can affect your physical status greatly.

Bengay is nice.

I get free OMT and that helps but I also went to the gym and focused on strengthening my rhomboids and mid to lower traps. That helped even out my muscle balance. Check out the muscle weakness and tightness patterns of upper cross syndrome for an idea of what I’m talking about.

I’d recommend keeping up with the massages. We all need those little treats to keep us sane.