Need a gut check. SD resident, 3.25 GPA, bad sGPA, 1 Pub

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlmostJesus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been on this road for the past couple years, and I need a gut check to explore if this is the road I should continue to go down. When I switched to pre-med, I knew it would be an uphill battle, but I wonder if its a losing battle. But, given my unique situation and my state of residency, I figure I need to bounce it off others. If I applied, it would obviously be for the next cycle.

SD Resident, most interested in USD. Generally USD takes only SD residents, so they tend be more forgiving with the GPA requirements.
Private school
5th year senior with 144 credit hours.
GPA: 3.25
sGPA: 2.62, unfortunately, that is down from the 2.7 I had when I started down the pre-med path, a downward trend.
aoGPA: 3.6
MCAT: Undetermined.
Major: Sociology with honors

Pubs
-Recently published in the journal of the state medical association with a manuscript about my research looking into health insurance and access to care among farmers. (A big deal in this state) There were two editorials written based on this work, including one written by the dean of the medical school.

ECs
- Became a paramedic during my freshman/sophomore year of college. (Paramedic GPA: 4.0) Currently working part time for a rural, hospital based ambulance service where I work extensively in the emergency department. This gives me a direct working relationship with physicians of multiple specialities, along with the independent decision making that goes along with working as a paramedic.
- Worked in other rural hospitals as a unit coordinator/nurse assistant.
- Currently co-manage a house with 14 other students including 9 international students, this has me working with many volunteering opportunities and organizing longitudinal volunteering projects. It averages out to about 2 hours a week of volunteering.
- Other volunteer experience include working with refugee families, working with a local Ronald McDonald House to fundraise for purchasing a grill for the house.
- Worked as a compensated volunteer for a local ambulance service during high school.

I am looking for an honest opinion on my ability to get into medical school given my circumstances. I would appreciate the input of someone that has been down a similar road, or has worked with others in this situation. Those that are simply going to say you dont have the numbers dont apply need not reply.
I guess at this point my road could go a few directions. I still have to take 1 more physics and math class for pre-reqs but, I was hoping to take the MCAT in January to get an idea of where I am at (obviously after preparing well). I could simply move my efforts towards working on a Masters in Public Health, although that doesn't intrigue me nearly as much as working in clinical medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
theres just really not a chance youll get into MD, you might not even have a shot at DO. that sGPA is just so so so low. even with USD accepting lots of SD residents, its not gonna happen with your GPA. their 10th% sGPA is a 3.4. which means youre about 0.8 below it. just... not good man, not good.

realistically that sGPA is killer. even if you were to do well on the MCAT, adcoms would be very worried that you wouldnt be able to handle class. also with an sGPA that low... it makes one wonder if you can do well on the MCAT

Very low because of the 2.6 w/downward trend for MD and DO. You could try applying to schools that don't screen, if you have a very good mcat score. Most schools screen at 2.75 or higher, so really do your homework on this one. I think it might be time to consider retaking courses for DO school or doing an SMP for MD.

USD would be doing you no favors by accepting you. You simply have not shown that you can handle a medical school curriculum. Medical school is a LOT harder than any UG program...why do you think you can magically do better?

The avg cGPA/sGPA for USD acceptees is 3.9/3.8...that's Harvard territory!

Your sGPA will keep you out of DO programs as well.

Strongly suggest a post-bac or SMP. You will need a minimum of 27 to be realistically competitive for USD.

I am looking for an honest opinion on my ability to get into medical school given my circumstances.