This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burntoutstudent39

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm a senior Exercise Science major that is going to apply to PT school in a few months. I was just looking for any tips or advice to see if I'm going in the right direction.
My cumulative gpa is 3.869, and i'm not exactly sure about my science gpa. My school doesn't calculate it and I don't know how to myself. However, I have not received a grade below an A- in any science class. I have about 50 outpatient observation hours, and I'm planning to start my 50 inpatient observation hours as I get back to school. (i have to get tb tests and flu shots before going in, so that's why I haven't done those yet).
The thing that really bothers me are my GRE scores. I am such an average standardized test taker, and I don't know if I should retake it or not. I got 150 verbal, 150 quantitative, and 4.0 writing. (the minimum for most schools I think). Any advice on that would be great.
I've also been volunteering at a food pantry every thursday for the past couple months, and still plan to continue to do this throughout the school year. I should get almost 100 hours by the time I finish. I'm a member in many clubs through my university, but I don't have an leadership positions.
Most people will think I'm dumb for worrying so much, but that's just how I am. Any advice, words of wisdom or anything is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For me the worst part of the application process is the time waiting without control. You have great stats and time remaining. If I were you I'd study and retake that GRE while its still in your control. Sure you could get in somewhere without redoing it. But the GRE isn't expensive, would be worth the price alone to not have to worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the PTCAS website and look for "GPA calculations" to see what classes go into your science GPA. Then you can calculate it by hand. Probably the more important GPA is your pre-req GPA. That's something you want to calculate by hand too so you know your numbers.

Have you taken all of your pre reqs yet? If so, and from what you say, your lowest grade in those is an A-, I wouldn't worry about retaking the GRE. Focus on your hours, making great relationships with your mentors for recommendations and start thinking about how to write a powerful essay.

You can also start making a list of schools where you want to apply. Start going on the websites and become a master at each school's particular requirements and admissions procedures so you don't miss anything small.

From what you've said, it sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Your GRE scores sounds fine. I would not worry about your GRE scores unless a school that you choose to apply to ask for a certain score. But pleeeeeaaasssseee be sure to have ALL pre-reqs complete. I wanted to go to grad school for physical therapy. However, I didn't realize all of the pre-reqs I had to take. I ended up trying to rush and take them my last year of undergrad as well as a year after. My anatomy & physiology grades were not good enough. I ended up getting a C. I want to go back to retake them because I know that PT programs are extremely competitive, but I have no undergrad financial aid left due to out-of-state tuition. So I will have to pay out of pocket for any course that I decide to re-take.

Most schools want you to have a Biology course (MAY want 2 bio courses), 2 Chemistry courses (Chem 1/Chem2), 2 Physics courses (Phy 1/Phy2), Statistics, 2 pyschology courses (General psych/additional psych course), and an english course. But double check with the schools that you plan on applying too. Some schools are different.

But, I think you will be fine!!!! You have an excellent overall GPA as well as a good science GPA. You'll be ok! Good Luck!

For me the worst part of the application process is the time waiting without control. You have great stats and time remaining. If I were you I'd study and retake that GRE while its still in your control. Sure you could get in somewhere without redoing it. But the GRE isn't expensive, would be worth the price alone to not have to worry about it.

Hey! I have a question. How did you prepare for the GRE? Did you buy a GRE book or did you purchase something online? I really need to take this test but I am so confused on how to prepare for it. I have heard so many things about taking the GRE that it's making me nervous. Any advice or suggestions?
Thank you so much!

I went to the library and they had a GRE prep book that was a few years old, that and just online practice tests. To be honest I didn't do enough prep and know I could have done a bit better if I had, which is why I made my post

I went to the library and they had a GRE prep book that was a few years old, that and just online practice tests. To be honest I didn't do enough prep and know I could have done a bit better if I had, which is why I made my post

Gotcha! Thanks so much! I'm so paranoid. I hate taking standardized test too. They should get rid of the GRE if you ask me. LOL... I see your name says DPT HOPEFUL! I hope everything goes well with you and the program of your choice! Good luck!

Hey! I have a question. How did you prepare for the GRE? Did you buy a GRE book or did you purchase something online? I really need to take this test but I am so confused on how to prepare for it. I have heard so many things about taking the GRE that it's making me nervous. Any advice or suggestions?
Thank you so much!

Gotcha! Thanks so much! I'm so paranoid. I hate taking standardized test too. They should get rid of the GRE if you ask me. LOL... I see your name says DPT HOPEFUL! I hope everything goes well with you and the program of your choice! Good luck!

Thank you, yes still applying and hopeful I scored 153-V 158-Q and 5 Written so I know I was above the average but now that I'm in the waiting part, of course I'm going to stress about every little thing I could have done better

Check out the PTCAS website and look for "GPA calculations" to see what classes go into your science GPA. Then you can calculate it by hand. Probably the more important GPA is your pre-req GPA. That's something you want to calculate by hand too so you know your numbers.

Have you taken all of your pre reqs yet? If so, and from what you say, your lowest grade in those is an A-, I wouldn't worry about retaking the GRE. Focus on your hours, making great relationships with your mentors for recommendations and start thinking about how to write a powerful essay.

You can also start making a list of schools where you want to apply. Start going on the websites and become a master at each school's particular requirements and admissions procedures so you don't miss anything small.

I see that you're a PT student. If you don't mind me asking, how were your grades and GRE score when you applied to school and how was the interview process. I know every school is different but I'm really trying to get myself together so that I can be on the right track!

I see that you're a PT student. If you don't mind me asking, how were your grades and GRE score when you applied to school and how was the interview process. I know every school is different but I'm really trying to get myself together so that I can be on the right track!
I'm not the best example to go off. I'm a very non traditional student so I think my application looked very different. My cum GPA was only 3.1. But if you break that number down, I had a 2.6 from undergrad a long time ago and then a 4.0 from every class in the last 5 years before I applied. I was right in the middle for GRE scores I think (low 150s. I think). I absolutely nailed the interviews, but again, I had a lot of experience in other fields and i think I was a bit of a different story for the schools I applied to. But you can practice for those interviews once you get one. It makes a difference!