Need Advice! Applying to Med School - Fall 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msapp_22

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice/ guidance here. I was part of the NYIT BS/DO program, but didn't continue into their DO school since I didn't get the required MCAT score for that specific program. I completed my undergrad biology major through NYIT with a 3.3 GPA. I then did a masters in medical science program through LECOM, however due to some personal setbacks, my GPA suffered and I got below 3.0. My previous MCAT score was below 490. However, I retook the MCAT this past June and got a 498. The goal is to get into DO school within the US before considering Caribbean schools.
I have decent experience with research, volunteering, shadowing, and leadership organizations. I have co-authored abstracts and worked on several projects. These are my extras.
I would really appreciate it if anyone can give some helpful feedback here regarding the following:
- what do you recommend I do (apply to Caribbean or apply to any DO school in US?)
- what DO schools will accept a candidate with my stats?
- what factors should I look for when choosing which school to apply (ranking, match rate, etc)
- should I do anything extra to improve my chances? (NOT RETAKING MCAT**)
- any other helpful information that you can provide based on your own experience or what you know of others!
I'm not in a position to aim high obviously, but with my stats/ credentials, I want to aim for the best. Please let me know! I'm still very passionate about becoming a physician despite these challenges!

Members don't see this ad.

It's time for Plan B. You have yet to demonstrate that you could handle medical school.

And don't even think about the Caribbean schools. That sound you hear off in the distance is them salivating at the thought of enrolling another mark and separating you from your money.

Your MCAT scores put you in the risk zone for not only failing out of med school and/or failing boards

Reactions: 1 users
Time for some harsh truth. You have terrible odds of getting in atm.
I know you said you won't retake the mcat but..... you need to retake your mcat, period. It's good that you show an upward trend but a 498 ain't enough chief. Not even close.
You mentioned your undergraduate GPA which I assume was cumulative, do you know your science gpa?
The fact that you got below a 3.0 in your masters is extremely ominous. Those are kinda "last chance" programs, as in its your last chance to show you could survive med school and the fact that your grades were subpar there will terrify adcoms. They will not care about what happened in your personal life- things will happen in your personal life in med school too and they want to be assured you can handle them.
I will echo what goro said- no matter how dark things look DO NOT go to a Caribbean school under any circumstances for any reason.
Quite frankly the effort you would have to go through to get accepted to med school is NOT worth it. Trust me, I went through it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Time for some harsh truth. You have terrible odds of getting in atm.
I know you said you won't retake the mcat but..... you need to retake your mcat, period. It's good that you show an upward trend but a 498 ain't enough chief. Not even close.
You mentioned your undergraduate GPA which I assume was cumulative, do you know your science gpa?
The fact that you got below a 3.0 in your masters is extremely ominous. Those are kinda "last chance" programs, as in its your last chance to show you could survive med school and the fact that your grades were subpar there will terrify adcoms. They will not care about what happened in your personal life.
I will echo what goro said- no matter how dark things look DO NOT go to a Caribbean school under any circumstances for any reason.
Quite frankly the effort you would have to go through to get accepted to med school is NOT worth it. Trust me, I went through it.
But he failed his SMP, would an MCAT retake of 510+ even matter?

But he failed his SMP, would an MCAT retake of 510+ even matter?
That would be the baaaaaaaare minimum and they would need a helluva explanation on that SMP. They still wouldn't have great odds but they wouldn't be zero (which it is now).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.