Need Advice, appying to UCHO january 11th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trah23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i was hoping youll could give me some insight on what my chances are of getting into UHCO for fall 09.

Im signed up to take the OAT on january 7 and from sevral practice exams im thinking ill probably make around 330-340 overall.

There are couple of things i know are hurting my chances of gettin accepted:
1) My gpa is kinda low 3.15, science 3.06 (or something like that)
2) Im applying pretty late january 11th (Ive got everthing together though, lors, official transcripts sent, a lor from an optometrists that went to UHCO and the essays almost done)

I had some stuff develop in my first year at HBU (houstonbaptist university) which is why my gpa is what it is. It actually was had a 1.5 and managed to bring it up so im gonna make sure i mention that in the biography essay along with how hbu doesnt incorprate a couple classes that i got A's into my GPA from HCC.

Im currently shadowing a optometrist for about my third week so ive probably shadowed her for a total of 25 hours thus far but aside from that ive done alot of volunteering at different events related to optometry and im also the treasurer at the pre-professional optometry society at my university.

Does anyone know how filled UHCO is for fall 09 like are they 80% capcity 90%....I live in houston so id really like to go their however i do realize i dont have the greatest gpa and im applying pretty late so im kind of nervous and wondering what my chances are.

Im also gonna apply to the new optometry school at incarnate ward, san antonio, its only like about 2 and half hours away.

Id greatly appreciate anyones insight, opinions or recommendations on what i should do and what my chances are of gettin in:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, i was hoping youll could give me some insight on what my chances are of getting into UHCO for fall 09.

Im signed up to take the OAT on january 7 and from sevral practice exams im thinking ill probably make around 330-340 overall.

There are couple of things i know are hurting my chances of gettin accepted:
1) My gpa is kinda low 3.15, science 3.06 (or something like that)
2) Im applying pretty late january 11th (Ive got everthing together though, lors, official transcripts sent, a lor from an optometrists that went to UHCO and the essays almost done)

I had some stuff develop in my first year at HBU (houstonbaptist university) which is why my gpa is what it is. It actually was had a 1.5 and managed to bring it up so im gonna make sure i mention that in the biography essay along with how hbu doesnt incorprate a couple classes that i got A's into my GPA from HCC.

Im currently shadowing a optometrist for about my third week so ive probably shadowed her for a total of 25 hours thus far but aside from that ive done alot of volunteering at different events related to optometry and im also the treasurer at the pre-professional optometry society at my university.

Does anyone know how filled UHCO is for fall 09 like are they 80% capcity 90%....I live in houston so id really like to go their however i do realize i dont have the greatest gpa and im applying pretty late so im kind of nervous and wondering what my chances are.

Im also gonna apply to the new optometry school at incarnate ward, san antonio, its only like about 2 and half hours away.

Id greatly appreciate anyones insight, opinions or recommendations on what i should do and what my chances are of gettin in:)

Ok.. Its now, Dec 15th. GET YOUR APPLICATION IN NOW!!!!... no, thats not right, like yesterday!!! why are you waiting til Jan 11th, that is a month away!!!

If you think the class is @ 80% capacity already (possibly 90%)...then this should be even more motivation for you to get gears rolling and get that application in!!!

anyways, gl. btw, personally, I think you should get some more shadowing experience in.

Im just a little confused, if I apply right even though i havent taken the oat yet what exactly happens? Will they even look at or does my application just sit their till my OAT scores get to em:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah one more thing, i told my professors that they didnt need to turn my lors in till bout january 7th because i didnt realize that I could apply before I took the OAT so should i tell them to send it right now or just wait till i turn in my official OAT scores????

How you know it's almost all full? I really want to go to UHCO if possible - even though I already got accepted to PCO and WH. My LOR came in quite late so my applications is under review now. I truly think you should wait until next year for your application. First of all, w/your status - it's pretty low. You have lack of experience, low GPA, and not a competitive OAT score (if 330). Give yourself 1 year to develop all those and will be a better candidate for next yr.

Oh yeah one more thing, i told my professors that they didnt need to turn my lors in till bout january 7th because i didnt realize that I could apply before I took the OAT so should i tell them to send it right now or just wait till i turn in my official OAT scores????

apply ASAP, as soon as your oat scores get in your app is finalized. With, most schools you can even fax over the print out of your scores you get from prometric to expedite the process.

as for LOR, I'd give friendly reminders that you need the letters asap, personally I've never gotten a letter of rec by the time I requested it.

Ive been crackin away with the application and should be done soon, I was wondering though.

Has anyone heard of or know someone whose gotten into UHCO with my kind of "status" (gpa, oat score)????

From what I have heard from several people who are students at UHCO they take your GPA X 100 and add it to your OAT score. My combined score was about a 660-670 to give you a gauge. My application was fully completed on Sept. 19th and I got my invitation on Dec. 3rd for an interview on Jan. 9th. They got a little behind because of the hurricane that hit a few months ago. I also know that once you get an interview you have a VERY good chance of getting accepted, so they only invite people they really want to admit. You need to submit your application NOW they only have 100 (+5 maybe) spots because thats the max seats in the actual classrooms!!! In the OAT section in the application, put the date that you will take the OAT and they will send your scores over after you take it.

I agree w/ the other posters. You should not wait until Jan 11 to apply. If you are still in school you have ALL winter/Christmas break to finish so they should make it in way before the 11. But if you can finish it all TONIGHT turn it in. The schools take a long time to merely "process" your application, meanwhile others are being invited for interviews ahead of you. You do have a chance at getting in this year but since your GPA is low, you better wow them with your passion and knowledge of optometry. This should be evident in your essay. Not long sorry excuses for your GPA. My GPA was not stellar either, you just need an upward trend (its seems that you have) and solid OATs. As another poster said, maybe more shadowing would be good. You should shadow in more than one practice type and/or area of emphasis. This will give you the best material for your essay---- and interview.

Turn in your stuff NOW.