Need Advice-Attend Back to Back interviews or change a date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vrachika

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, last friday I received my first two interviews...4 hours apart from each other. I am of course excited but I have a bit of a dilemma. They are on back to back days.

The frist interview I received is for 11/9. I was called about this interview and offered a date mid October (that I couldn't attend) and then the one for 11/9. At the time there were no conflicts so I accepted it.

Four hours later I received another II, in an email for 11/10.

The first one would be easier to change, but I hate to call back and tell them I need to change it because I received another interview for the next day. I don't want them to think I'm not interested in their school, because I am. Both schools I received II's for are in my top 5-7 choices. The only thing is that the 2nd school (for 11/10) is probably THE top choice, and I've already decided there is no way I'm changing that date.

So the two options are:

Call the first school and ask for a new date. I won't necessarily mention why I am changing it but if they ask I'm not going to make up some lame excuse, I don't like being dishonest.

Will this negatively affect me? Or will they understand, especially if I assure them I am very interested in their school, but its better to change their date versus the other one.

Second option is, fly in to one city 11/8, attend interview 11/9, have 3.5 hours after assumed end of that interview day to fly out evening of 11/9 to other city, arriving after 10pm (probably not getting to bed until midnight, interview 11/10 next day ( would have to get up quite early have to be at school around 7 am)

I already looked at flights and it is doable, but my question is, is that advisable? Has anyone else done this?

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

I've done a couple of back to backs and a lot of Friday/Mondays. It's been fine so far, though the weather in November is more precarious than the weather in August and September.

Reactions: 1 user
it is not advisable to do backbto back interviews

1) assuming flight operate on time transport time, settling into hotel, etc take time.
2) you will be tired from full day of interviews then travel and now be exhausted on second interview and look less than the best you can
3) travel plans can easily get screwed up. delays, weather, and no extra seats or flights at the end of the day make this not a good plan

change one of the interviews ASAP

thanks i will take this advice

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't do it. You have a higher chance of flight issues for your top interview. Also, I've found the interview days to be pretty exhausting (maybe due to time changes). I would want to be fresh and ready to go for the top choice interview.

Yeah I think you are right and I think I am the type who would get exhausted. Not to mention these are my first interviews ever so I will probably be nervous.

Thank you everyone for your insight!

Change it if you can. I had to do three back to back in three different cities (and I had no choice). It was mentally exhausting, but luckily I had good weather and my flights were fine. I definitely do not recommend

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sounds like general consensus is change it. I tried calling just now and am waiting for a call back to see if I can change it. If not I guess I go to plan B, which is thankfully doable if not ideal.

LOL I would do it. I'm crazy and would love the challenge. But then again, would I really want to risk my chances? Hmmmm.... Looks like a tough desicion ahead of me.

I did a back to back last week! Coast to coast. It was tiring, but I actually felt that I had a better interview the second day than the first day. It was a risk though, as I was on one of the last flights out, but it worked out for me, so it is possible! :)

If you have to do it, here was my experience:

pro: I was all warmed up and in the zone from my first one, had caffeine pills so didn't completely want to pass out
con: possible travel issues - my train broke down in the middle of new jersey, had to evacuate train and wait for new one, the stress was real (but it turned out fine-ish)

I did a back to back last week! Coast to coast. It was tiring, but I actually felt that I had a better interview the second day than the first day. It was a risk though, as I was on one of the last flights out, but it worked out for me, so it is possible! :)

The thing is, if weather or plane troubles muck things up, it will happen at the last minute and will be completely out of the OP's control. There's simply no available Plan B. And the unreliability of late night travel in the fall/winter will make it stressful even with no hints of delays.

@vrachy_now - There's nothing wrong with calling either school (or both) to ask politely if you can reschedule, and nothing wrong with revealing why if asked. If you can present it as foresight instead of neuroses, then your pro-active stance is admirable.

Thanks guys. I am going to contact one of the schools and ask if it would be possible to change the date, if not I will just go for it and hope for the weather to be in my favor. That's my main worry because if my flight were cancelled at the last minute I doubt I could make it to the other interview. I mean, not that I wouldn't try renting a car or breaking out in a run towards the other city (jk), but they are a good 8 hour drive from each other.

Being tired would be a factor, but as pre-meds I think we are all masters of working through being tired at this point :p I doubt I will sleep well the night before anyway.

I agree with everyone who has encouraged you to change the date.
I am curious, what will you tell the school? Try and make sure it is not something that reflects poorly on you such as "I have a conflict I did not see before."
I would call and ask if it can be changed as it would be more convenient if you would do the required travel at a later date. That is true. Use an email only to confirm, not explain, your request for the change, unless you have to spell it out in email.

I agree with everyone who has encouraged you to change the date.
I am curious, what will you tell the school? Try and make sure it is not something that reflects poorly on you such as "I have a conflict I did not see before."
I would call and ask if it can be changed as it would be more convenient if you would do the required travel at a later date. That is true. Use an email only to confirm, not explain, your request for the change, unless you have to spell it out in email.

I am going to call and ask politely if it would be possible to change to a later date (or whenever is better for them), because I had something come up right after I scheduled the last one that will make traveling difficult. If I am for some reason pressed as to why I will just tell the truth, making sure to express that I am still very interested in the school, but unable to change the other interview date, so I was wondering if it would be possible to change it with them. I will tell them I want to be my best possible self for both interviews and not have to worry about rushing out to catch a flight or potentially missing a flight during my interview at their school. All very true, and I think (as usually) the truth is the way to go.

Do you think that is an acceptable thing to do?

Reactions: 1 user
I am going to call and ask politely if it would be possible to change to a later date (or whenever is better for them), because I had something come up right after I scheduled the last one that will make traveling difficult. If I am for some reason pressed as to why I will just tell the truth, making sure to express that I am still very interested in the school, but unable to change the other interview date, so I was wondering if it would be possible to change it with them. I will tell them I want to be my best possible self for both interviews and not have to worry about rushing out to catch a flight or potentially missing a flight during my interview at their school. All very true, and I think (as usually) the truth is the way to go.

Yes you are way overthinking this. Schools are very accomodating... I changed my interview date, and they gave me a date 6 weeks earlier lol it worked out pretty well for myself

Great news everyone! Got it changed, wasn't an issue at all. Like @Frogger27 said I was overthinking it.

Thanks for all the support/advice guys!

Reactions: 5 users

You figured it out. Glad it went well!