Need advice for a friend: Pro athlete, URM, high GPA, questionable MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Here’s why I think... I think your friend needs to take responsibility for himself and call schools himself. He needs to come here and ask for advice himself. You’re a good friend for asking around for him, but he’s applying to medical school to be a doctor. He needs to do his own research and take care of his own business. If there’s an extenuating circumstance that is keeping him from doing this, I can’t imagine he has time to apply to schools... unless you’re doing that for him too.

It's unbelievable how bizarre your presumptions are. My friend reached out to me because I'm applying this cycle and have access to phone/internet. He recently got his MCAT score back, is training in a remote part of the world, and has very limited access to a phone he can use to make direct calls to United States schools. Furthermore, there are ZERO MCAT testing centers in the country he is in, and with only a few months time to retake the MCAT before the testing centers close for the year, he needs advice on whether or not he needs to arrange travel plans out of the country to take the MCAT ASAP. I don't know why I have to explain myself for asking a simple question on a forum dedicated to helping non-traditional premedical students.

Next year, he will have plenty of time and resources to apply to medical school on his own.

Here’s why he needs to be asking himself. Why is he wanting to take the MCAT before 2019 if he’s not even applying this cycle? How can he study if he’s off training somewhere with no internet? How is he taking practice exams? How is he working to improve his score in the next month? He’s shooting himself in the foot not preparing properly for an exam and trying to wing it in the next month if he has no internet access like you claim, and is applying next cycle. Why not just wait until next year to take it?

ETA: I’m assuming he’s not applying this year because he has no internet, so why doesn’t he just retake it next year instead of trying to wing this score? You’re quite hostile. Wouldn’t be a normal day on SDN without someone slinging around accusations about others capacity for empathy and patient care.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I feel really bad for your future patients with your lack of compassion and empathy for the circumstances of others. The MCAT has a 3 year expiration date. Like I said, he's a professional athlete and wants to apply within the next 2 years so that the MCAT doesn't expire. He is fresh off studying for this last MCAT (before he moved out of country to train) and did fairly well on two subsections. His Bio subsection was a fluke based on the practice tests he's done. The Bio sections is the only thing he is worried about in preventing him from going to medical school. With the material fresh in his mind, he's certain he can do better with an MCAT date in the near future. If he does reschedule, he would drop training, travel back to the United States, and retake the exam before the MCAT cycle closes this year. If he waits until next year, he will have to commit much more time to relearning and restudying what he knows right now. The easiest thing would be to just not retake it. Which is why I'm here...

Since you edited out your hostility in the prior post, I’ll quote this one and repeat myself again. You’re very hostile but it’s just another day here on SDN where premeds and applicants like to tell others they lack empathy and feel bad for their future patients. Good luck!

Since you edited out your hostility in the prior post, I’ll quote this one and repeat myself again. You’re very hostile but it’s just another day here on SDN where premeds and applicants like to tell others they lack empathy and feel bad for their future patients. Good luck!
I edited out my comment because I reposted it in a later comment. I asked a simple question. You're the one who came onto my thread and attacked my friend with zero regard to the question at hand. I'm simply trying to help a friend who has a rather simple question. Can he get into a DO school with a 123 on Bio or does he need to retake?

whats his whole score? and each subsection

I edited out my comment because I reposted it in a later comment. I asked a simple question. You're the one who came onto my thread and attacked my friend with zero regard to the question at hand. I'm simply trying to help a friend who has a rather simple question. Can he get into a DO school with a 123 on Bio or does he need to retake?
Not at my school. Did your friend learn anything in Biology class?

lol yes. How is that question relevant to the discussion?
Here’s why I think... I think your friend needs to take responsibility for himself and call schools himself. He needs to come here and ask for advice himself. You’re a good friend for asking around for him, but he’s applying to medical school to be a doctor. He needs to do his own research and take care of his own business. If there’s an extenuating circumstance that is keeping him from doing this, I can’t imagine he has time to apply to schools... unless you’re doing that for him too.
@DarklingThrush gave an answer to pretty much what I was thinking. On top of that, if your friend didn't ask you and you were asking without his knowledge, I wouldn't want to potentially violate another person's privacy even though names, etc. have been left out.

It didn't seem like DarklingThrush was attacking your friend. It seemed like they were giving pretty good advice. I see that you're applying and interviewing this cycle. Keep your defensiveness in check when you go on your interviews, unless you really don't want to go to med school.