Need advice for freshmen course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalgeorge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is what I'm signed up for, I'm a smart guy, but still I don't want to get killed with course work and want to have some time for fun. Not sure how much work this will be, was wondering what your guys advice is for a first year pre dental student and if this is an acceptable schedule to have/realistic to acheive a GPA of 3.5..

Gen Chem (w lab) 5 Units
Gen Physics (wlab) 4 units
Politics and Society 3 units
Calc A 3 Units
Intro to college (forced to take) 1 unit

While this equal 16 units, the labs are 3 hrs a piece added with the regular lectures from the science classes so that number I think is a bit misleading, do you think the schedule would be better if I just drop Politics and Society?

Basically, what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Find out more about these classes from upperclassmen and check professor reviews. It looks do-able to me.

Why not take biology instead of physics?

Find out more about these classes from upperclassmen and check professor reviews. It looks do-able to me.

Why not take biology instead of physics?

We're not allowed to take biology freshmen year w/o taking chem first, not sure why, I start off skipping the intro biology class anyway and we can start taking it sophmore year etc.. which is why I'm getting rid of physics now.

The amount of class time for all those classes because of labs and recitations is 22 hrs, will I have a life if I take this courseload.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most Chem and Physics classes end up being around 5 units with labs added in, so that's normal. You're taking 16 units, which is a bit much for your first semester, but just be sure to stick to your guns. If you feel like you're really falling behind, drop one of the classes if you have to.

We're not allowed to take biology freshmen year w/o taking chem first, not sure why, I start off skipping the intro biology class anyway and we can start taking it sophmore year etc.. which is why I'm getting rid of physics now.

The amount of class time for all those classes because of labs and recitations is 22 hrs, will I have a life if I take this courseload.

You definitely will given you study well. If you study in front of the TV then that will mess with you. It also depends on your strengths too; for example, if you are good at math you don't need to study math as much.

If you study 28 hours a week that adds up to 50 hours of class related activity a week. There are 168 hours in a week. So 118 hours you'd have to sleep, eat, have a job, mess around with buddies, watch TV, play video games, etc.

Not to mention, the labs I've taken have always been scheduled to be 3 hrs. For chemistry we'd be given a specific procedure, and sometimes it only took 2 hours, sometimes 1.5, and once it only took 45 minutes.

I hope this helps!

lol I apparently have the college jitters today, last thing I want to do is be weak and drop a class during the middle of the yr/or hurt myself freshmen yr by taking a hit GPA wise, I just need some reassurance lol that I can do this w/o giving up some fun/ability to enjoy campus activities/ maybe even a part time job on the weekends since I'll live on campus. The amount of class hours just freaks me out since I have alot more then my friends even if the units is still a fairly reasonable number because of the stupid science class labs.

lol I apparently have the college jitters today, last thing I want to do is be weak and drop a class during the middle of the yr/or hurt myself freshmen yr by taking a hit GPA wise, I just need some reassurance lol that I can do this w/o giving up some fun/ability to enjoy campus activities/ maybe even a part time job on the weekends since I'll live on campus. The amount of class hours just freaks me out since I have alot more then my friends even if the units is still a fairly reasonable number because of the stupid science class labs.

Eh, it's just how science classes go. I found that the last two years are actually somewhat easier than the first two, primarily because you're taking upper division classes that you're really interested in. Don't worry, you'll still have plenty of time to have fun while you're taking these classes.