Need advice for Mcat test and Medical school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tl1101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a 19 year old female and a freshman/sophomore in college and I am need to great advice from you guys. I have always been good in studies ( not a genius but never have to worry about school). But since the past three years, I have been going through a terrible depression. I am almost in a constant gloomy depressive state and do nothing but go to school and come back home. But what scares me, despite all this, is that I cannot concentrate in school and lectures of my professors. I feel like I have lost all my energy before a semester even begins so I always end up getting B's in all my classes. I feel I have the capability of getting a A ( and my test score in begginning of semester is always above 95 but towards the end of the semester my depression starts getting the beter of me I just end up surrendering) but its just that I cannot remember the professors lecture, and the things I read. I constantly have to write things down so i dont keep forgetting abt it but now I cannot keep writing down things anymore: I am tired.
But despite all this I have been looking over the mcat test. I have not taken any premed courses yet. But I want to practice to mcat now because I dont want to realize four years later that I don't have the intelligence to be a doctor and then change my career al over again. I am just practicing the verbal section of the mcat because I have always have low concentration in reading and I obviously cannot practice for the science section because I haven't taken the courses( and I am pretty sure about doing well in the science section because I like science). I have been getting a consistent 10's in all the verbal sec. of aamc tests I have taken so far and I am quite happy with this ( considering how poor I am in reading). But it take me about 3-4hrs of reading, walking around and then reading to finish the mcat verbal section. This is mostly because I never have the single minded attention to a passage I am reading for the first time. So I always end up rereading the passage and I also keep forgetting what I read in a passage so I constantly have to keep going back.
So I guess what I want to know from you guys is that should I go ahead with the pre-medical field. I know I will get out of my depression sooner or later but do you think I can improve my timing because I think its ridiculous that its taking me 4 hrs to finish the verbal section. I am in the verge of giving up everything in my life rite now because I am just so tired from my depression. But I still want to prepare for my future and do things to the best of my abilities. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
See a psychiatrist about the depression, they would know better than any of us on SDN. Also, don't just go to class and come home. Get out and go hiking. Go to the gym. Socialize. Enjoy life!

What sort of exposure to the medical field do you have? Get involved and make sure it's what you want to do. Then, if it truly motivates you, the MCAT and details entailing your acceptance to medical school will follow. I would recommend Kaplan, it worked for me.

Well I don't have any direct exposure to the medical field in terms of volunteering and work etc... But what i do know is that i have been a sickly child through out my childhood and I have been reading about diseases and science books I was young. And this gives me the confidence that I can be a good doctor if I do become a doctor and relate to people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I don't have any direct exposure to the medical field in terms of volunteering and work etc... But what i do know is that i have been a sickly child through out my childhood and I have been reading about diseases and science books I was young. And this gives me the confidence that I can be a good doctor if I do become a doctor and relate to people.

Absolutely, the initial interest is there. Call up your local hospital and inquire about volunteering opportunities. Tell them you are pre-med and that you wish to get as close to patients as possible. Many hospitals have a volunteering coordinator that you can talk to.

Also, shadowing is important. My college had a program that would help match students with professionals in their field of interest. If your college does not offer a similar service, you can probably go through a hospital for shadowing opportunities as well.

Last edited:
Don't do the MCAT at all right now. If you're struggling in school, why look at a test that you won't even be taking for another year? At the earliest maybe start over the summer with some verbal passages (are you ESL?). Focus on school work, do med-related extracurriculars that get you out of the house (shadowing, EMT-B training, something active rather than passive).

Also, relax.

Don't do college so that you can go to medical school. Spend your time doing what you enjoy and taking classes that don't exhaust you just thinking about them. At some point, you'll find yourself more willing to take on those tougher classes (aka depression sufficiently lifted) whether that's next semester or a post-bacc after you graduate. You aren't helping yourself by putting everything on your plate right now.

Thank you for the kind advice. Its was greatly helpful.

I hope that you can overcome this difficult obstacle in your life. Also, remember, becoming a doctor does indeed require intelligence, but persistence, perseverance and patience are more important and will almost certainly get you through the toughest of times.

All the best.

Medicine is a mentally brutal process. You need to take some time to find some peace of mind and confidence. Enjoy college, don't think about the MCAT yet, and as others mentioned try to find a shadowing or work opportunity in medicine. Keep your chin up, and talk to a campus counselor about your depression. They are usually free and their to help!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile