This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainTops

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a quick inquiry. I'm struggling with identifying if I should apply this cycle or next cycle due to my MCAT score. I'd appreciate some feedback. Since everything in life is conditional and varies per person a quick summary:

I am scheduled for an April 28th test date; however, I am considering a June 13th test date as I am aiming to score between 510-515.

Regarding the rest of my application, I have:
- 1900 clinical hours (presently still working)
- 250 shadowing hours across 6 specialties (presently still shadowing)
- I am the president/ vice president of 2 organizations (present)
- 600 total hours of research across 2 different labs (ended as of Jan 2023 to study for the MCAT)
- 250+ international volunteering hours across 3 different countries, I am also an ambassador for this organization (present)
- I am involved in 5 other organizations (2 present, 3 within past 12 months)
- 400 hours of being a chemistry lab TA (present)

My Overall GPA is a 3.7 and sGPA is a 3.5... which also makes me consider they'll weigh my MCAT heavily.

I believe my extracurriculars are okay, and I love writing so essays etc. are okay and I'm excited for them as my life story is deep, having come from nothing and parents who never attained more than high school due to life circumstances, 1st generation immigrant etc. I'm simply concerned about my MCAT score. I'm really just trying to do my best; it's been really tough working 40hr weeks to make ends meet while studying. If I take more time off... I can't pay my bills.

My plan is to submit my application with 1 school for verification on day 1. To then take my MCAT on June 13th, have my score back by July 14th. As well as have my secondaries pre-written by July 14th to be able to include my MCAT score, add my additional schools to the list, and submit my secondaries within 24 hours of any school assigning them to me all in an effort to make up for my late or better put, not-ideal timing of my MCAT.

Is this a good idea or should I wait until next cycle? I'm presently a graduating senior which means I'm already taking 1 gap year and I'm 20 so I have time, it's just discouraging a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need any more shadowing hours. You do need 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering in this country (homeless shelter, food bank, etc)
Whether or not you should apply this year will depend on your MCAT score which will not be available until. post your score here when available.

Please properly format your profile to the template.

You need to take the test when you are fully prepared and confident.

Looking at what you provided,

- 1900 clinical hours (presently still working)
- 250 shadowing hours across 6 specialties (presently still shadowing)
Need details but this looks like overkill. What is your role in clinical employment? Are you doing this while going to school? What certifications have you earned?

250+ international volunteering hours across 3 different countries, I am also an ambassador for this organization (present)
- I am involved in 5 other organizations (2 present, 3 within past 12 months)
So this is leadership? What were you doing? It's great for community service but we have no clue for service orientation. Furthermore you must have service activities with US communities in need. Again, no details to gauge the quality of your activities for the application.

So what are you going to do after you graduate? Who is writing your letters? How are you going to deal with not having your clubs to lead?

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need any more shadowing hours. You do need 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering in this country (homeless shelter, food bank, etc)
Whether or not you should apply this year will depend on your MCAT score which will not be available until. post your score here when available.

Ok, thank you I’ll post when I have my score.

Regarding Volunteering:
I’m aware I don’t “need” any more shadowing hours. I personally enjoy seeing various specialties and their dynamics as an insight into what specialty speaks to me. In addition to this, one specific specialty (which constitutes 100 shadowing hours of my grand total) I have loved so much that I’ve shadowed for a year and will be their medical assistant during my gap year. I also on my application will be listing it as one of my 3 most meaningful thus I am dedicating my gap year to being a medical assistant for it and have made meaningful relationships with the patients that attend weekly for their treatments.

The non-clinical volunteering I listed above was abroad in Africa, Nicaragua, and with local tribes in Hawai’i. I have spent 17 years (of my 21) of my life growing up internationally this volunteering abroad is meaningful to me and is how it’ll be unique to my upbringing on my application. I also volunteered in all 3 of these locations with the same organization for which I’m an ambassador for as well.

As for volunteering within the USA, the organization in which I’m vice president is Alternative Breaks therefore I have over 200 hours of volunteering in the USA. I not only go on the volunteer trips, but I also lead the trips I do go on (therefore I'm responsible for all 20+ volunteers), and for those that I do not go on I plan the trips and handle all behind-the-scenes logistics in their creation and handle logistics at the home base such as if someone takes I’ll, delayed flights to other states, rental car issues, anything that constitutes the involvement of 911 etc. just troubleshooting any issues that arise with volunteers. This includes volunteering in towns in FL where hurricanes have affected, homelessness is alarmingly great, and domestic abuse foundations we coordinate with to assist over a length of time.

There is another organization that is pre-medical based that I am a member of (I am a part of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Chair for this organization) and we volunteer and fundraise year-round in supporting a Pediatric hospital.

Please don't list shadowing as a most meaningful activity. It is passive and something that you did for around 100 hours usually does not deserve the extra character space that is provided. With your sGPA on the lower end, it might not come across the best to talk extensively about your interest in dermatology either (it is one of the most competitive specialties).

You provided a great amount of detail, which helps us better understand your application. However, succinctness is important. While I trust your PS properly addresses why medicine, you provided over 500 words talking about the qualifications of other people who read it without once mentioning the general contents of it. There are character limits to many aspects of the application, but for secondaries that don't have a clear number or use 10,000 characters as a formality, please keep in mind that less is often more.

Reactions: 1 user
Firstly, I am not aware of the proper format/template for my profile. I apologize for that.
Dude... that was a very ineffective response.

When you are asked to follow instructions, follow them. If you dont know, look it up. Otherwise you get kicked out of medical school.

Dude... that was a very ineffective response.

When you are asked to follow instructions, follow them. If you dont know, look it up. Otherwise you get kicked out of medical school.
Understood, I'll delete my response as it isn't effective for you.

Please don't list shadowing as a most meaningful activity. It is passive and something that you did for around 100 hours usually does not deserve the extra character space that is provided. With your sGPA on the lower end, it might not come across the best to talk extensively about your interest in dermatology either (it is one of the most competitive specialties).

You provided a great amount of detail, which helps us better understand your application. However, succinctness is important. While I trust your PS properly addresses why medicine, you provided over 500 words talking about the qualifications of other people who read it without once mentioning the general contents of it. There are character limits to many aspects of the application, but for secondaries that don't have a clear number or use 10,000 characters as a formality, please keep in mind that less is often more.
Thank you so much, I didn't consider that perspective of my sGPA affecting how they may perceive me speaking about dermatology shadowing (a passive activity) as a most meaningful activity. Really insightful, I appreciate that!

Should I list a hobby as most meaningful? I have a few options, for example I have been swimming for the past 17 years (I stopped swimming competitively once I began college however). I was told by someone that in secondaries I'll have questions asking about my hobbies regardless so not to waste areas in my activity section discussing it, especially if it isn't anything extraordinary such as me swimming in the Olympics.

I completely agree and promise all my essays for medical school are enjoyable while also being succinct and to the point. I went overboard on details as the other member asked for more, though they later complained about my response still not being enough or to their standards. I'll keep in mind and also agree for my essays I should be succinct. Thank you!

Thank you so much, I didn't consider that perspective of my sGPA affecting how they may perceive me speaking about dermatology shadowing (a passive activity) as a most meaningful activity. Really insightful, I appreciate that!

Should I list a hobby as most meaningful? I have a few options, for example I have been swimming for the past 17 years (I stopped swimming competitively once I began college however). I was told by someone that in secondaries I'll have questions asking about my hobbies regardless so not to waste areas in my activity section discussing it, especially if it isn't anything extraordinary such as me swimming in the Olympics.

I completely agree and promise all my essays for medical school are enjoyable while also being succinct and to the point. I went overboard on details as the other member asked for more, though they later complained about my response still not being enough or to their standards. I'll keep in mind and also agree for my essays I should be succinct. Thank you!
Yes, you can talk about swimming for one of the most meaningful. That is a very long commitment and a lot of preparation goes into competitive swimming. With your other 2 being your scribe work and volunteering, you will have the opportunity to cover your bases between them all.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you can talk about swimming for one of the most meaningful. That is a very long commitment and a lot of preparation goes into competitive swimming. With your other 2 being your scribe work and volunteering, you will have the opportunity to cover your bases between them all.
Perfect! Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.