Need advice for the PCAT. 4th time taking it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enderwiggin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my fourth time taking the PCAT in June 2007. I need some advice on some things I've been having difficulty with. I'm not great at standardize testing and want to improve my score. So here's my questions:

1) How can I study for sentence completions on the verbal section?
2) Haven't taken calculus for awhile, and I know there are limit questions on the math section, is there any book to help me out?
3) I'm honestly a slow reader, and I need advice on how to approach the reading comprehension of the test. This section is always my lowest score. I was wondering if I should read the whole passage first or read the questions first then read the passage. When time is almost up, I'm always left with one passage, and 2-3 questions answered on it.
4) I seriously need help on timing on the verbal, chemistry, and reading comprehension. I would say chemistry is the worst when it comes to answering enough questions in the the 35 minutes given. My last try, I was doing great, knowing I hit every question right, but I was half way done and time was up.

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, at least for me, it is very difficult to study for a test like this. The PCAT, for the most part, seems to test "acquired knowledge", meaning basically you either know it or you don't. It tests knowledge that you have accumulated over time through your studies. Can you study for the PCAT??? Honestly, it may be possible, but it will take a LONG time to cover everything. The analogies and sentence completions are almost impossible to study for. However, I did find one thing that seemed to work... I also took the PCAT 4 times, and I noticed each time a lot of the same words were on the test every single time. So I remembered those and tried to focus on those. I think it's possible to study for the math, chemistry, and bio parts, but again, it takes a lot of time. Break up each subject into categories and generalize each topic. I used the approach of "knowing a little bit about a lot". As far as reading comprehension, start reading! And also, try reading the questions first, then go back "skim" the passage. Worked a lot better for me. Find a study guide book that gives outlines of the subject matter covered on the PCAT, and go over each section. I used old college books, PCAT study guides, flash cards (book), and the internet to help prepare me. But once again, honestly, I don't think any of this helped me substantially. I believe that PCAT requires a good aquisition of knowledge over the years. Hope this helps, and good luck. Try not to sweat it too much. What have been your scores so far?

I agree that the PCAT has the seemingly obligatory "acquired knowledge portion" where you really can't study for it like a school test for even a month and expect to make great strides. For verbal and reading comprehension, the things you can do is to practice a bunch of questions while doing some side reading. When you do outside reading, try to analyze your texts like the PCAT would instead of skimming through.

For sentence completions, try to think of each question as a story that you're trying to fill in the holes. The correct answer will result in the story making sense and the wrong answer will make a contradictory story or a story that doesn't make sense. For analogies, try to use both words in a sentence that describes the analogy. Don't be too general, but don't be too specific where you have no possible answers. Once again, you can't really "study" for that aside from practicing through test prep books and casually through reading outside material.

To a certain extent, the math section is also another acquired knowledge section. Though you could find every question on the PCAT in a textbook, the time constraints test your ability to take shortcuts to answer the question quickly. I did well on the math section (96 percentile) mainly because I've been a quick math person since grade school. So, some of the information came to me naturally on the test without much thought. You can have that ability if you practice PCAT like problems with difficult time constraints. Over time and practice with stress, you could do better on the math section if your speed is better.

For reading comprehension, I would suggest practicing with the Examkrackers 1001 Questions in Verbal Reasoning. This book is for the MCAT, but the passages are close enough to the PCAT for it to work for your purposes.

For chemistry, try doing questions from your old organic textbook that look like the PCAT and practice under timed conditions. The chemistry tests less of the acquired knowledge than the other sections, but it still tests speed and your ability to distill a problem quickly.

For timing, you could use an old fashioned analog watch (the one with the hour and minute arms). Set the watch to 12:00 and start it when the test. Set "checkpoints" throughout your test so that you can see if you have fallen behind or are ahead.

Yeah I've noticed that most of the questions are recycled, too bad I can't remember them all haha. As for my PCAT scores before there was any calculus added before 2006, I scored a 57 on October 2005 PCAT
50 verbal
42 biology
37 reading comprehension
92 math
49 chemistry

Then the following year on the January 2006 PCAT, I scored a 47. I was surprised that calculus was added, and for some reason my verbal and reading comprehension dropped considerably low. I don't have the actual percentages for each category but
verbal was around 37
reading 27
math 54
biology 65
chemistry 54

On the October 2006 PCAT, I tried to do some studying going through the KAPLAN PCAT book but scored a 57 again with the new change on the PCAT. I don't remember the actual scores for this one either, but I'm confident now that I can do much better, I just need adequate preparation. So far, with the advices I received, I should concentrate on chemistry, biology, reading comprehension. I'm quite embarrassed sharing my scores because of reading the other forums where people get such high percentages. I'll try to time myself as well in a stress environment similar to PCAT. I'm at school right now and it doesn't end till mid May. I figure, I only have a month and a half to study or less. Hopefully test out to see how much I improved by changing the way I study for the test, and also trying to remember the questions that were asked. Then try my best in August hoping it will be my best score for early fall applications to pharmacy schools. Its all frustrating, but I'll try to focus more this time. - I'll try to find the materials to study for, from what you guys told me on the earlier posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I took the PCAT in October 2005. My scores were so low that I have removed them from my memory completely. However, I am ready to work at this again. I really aspire to earn a terminal degree and this time failure is not an option.

I registered for Kaplan PCAT review course and man talk about a way to boost your confidence!! That class is intensive and you learn a lot. The practice tests are challenging and you get practice with applying your knowledge on test questions.

Initially I focused on what my weaknesses were, but I was quickly informed that focusing on them wouldn't change anything. Also, I realized that I don't learn things by reading them. I would read and jump around from topic to topic b/f my first test, it accomplished nothing. So my previous strategy which had been reading and trying to memorize material didn't work either. Since studying for the test I have realized also that you can study the material until you are blue in the face, but the test doesn't give you questions that allow you to regurgitate the information. You have to recognize the material and be able to apply it. In other words, see the bigger picture.

My husband saw that I was extremely frustrated and reminded me that I am extremely good and learning words to songs so he purchased an audible vocabulary mp3 program, verbal advantage (expensive). He even downloaded the CD's to my mp3 player. Audiolearn GRE vocabulary is 40 bucks, for its vocabulary builder I think. So now instead of listening to music during my commute to work and when I run I learn vocabulary. Kinda geeky, but if it gets me a good score on the PCAT and into Pharmacy School then you are really looking at a GEEK!! The vocuabulary words are the same ones tested on the GRE get a GRE vocabulary builder program.

Kaplan has been paramount in my preparation as well because it gives you different ways to study the different sections of the test but it is VERY intensive and if you don't at least complete and review most of the work then it will not be useful.

I didn't take the PCAT b/c my father passed away 12 days b/f the test. But I can tell you that my VERBAL and READING on the practice tests improved from I think a 27% to an 85% in two months. My chemistry, biology, and Organic Chemistry score were pretty consistent. I can live with that :) I am still working on the words. I will learn 20 GRE vocabulary words per day until June 23, 2007. I will be honest and let you know how it goes when I get my scores. The most important thing to do is figure out what helps you retain information. Reading and not retaining anything won't help.

Also, there is a PCAT CD called PCAT audiolearn it costs $50 bucks not as expensive as the Kaplan course (audiolearning again). There are some reviews for the software on www.amazon.com. After reviewing a section in my Kaplan course I plan to incorporate listening to the PCAT downloads to my routine.

Well last thing. Don't let anyone including yourself convince you that all hope is lost. You are already starting to say what you are not good at. Don't focus on the negative focus on the positive. I was reminded by my husband that I learned and studied things a lot harder than vocabulary while in college and GRADUATED with a great GPA and standardized test is not going to kill me :)

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” Marianne Williamson

:thumbup: To what was said above. Get after it, it can be done!

I am kind of concerned about biology section.:eek: So, I have question to those of you folks, who already have it done. Has anybody seen the questions about classification of Protists, plants, invertebrates, and vertebrates? I mean what phylum or class given species is could be or recognize the species based on its characteristics. Please somebody tell me if this material important or not. :confused:

I am kind of concerned about biology section.:eek: So, I have question to those of you folks, who already have it done. Has anybody seen the questions about classification of Protists, plants, invertebrates, and vertebrates? I mean what phylum or class given species is could be or recognize the species based on its characteristics. Please somebody tell me if this material important or not. :confused:

HA those questions were out of left field....i mena are u serious?.....i was surprised i got a 76 on biology....i thought i did bad on that part.....for the math part make sure u know summation and vectors those questions are always receyled. About using th esame questions over, I had two of the same reading passages when I took it over.....

HA those questions were out of left field....i mena are u serious?.....

It means they don’t raise this topic on the test, which is good. :cool: Thanks, I feel better now. I just was not sure. I take Biology 2 (can’t wait the end of the semester) and I was puzzled by how much time were spent on studying all of this. Seriously, it’s been like almost two-thirds of the semester. So this question annoyed me for a long time. :oops:

Enderwiggin,

It sounds like you are challenged by your test taking pace. I would suggest finding as many practice tests as possible and taking them regularly under testing conditions until you have improved your pace and comfort with the test. I took probably only 3 practice tests myself but I set a timer, turned off the cell phone, radio, tv, etc. It was me, a pencil and my practice test until I was done. Taking the tests also showed me where my weaknesses were. As a chemistry major I felt I didn't need to review much chemistry and the tests showed that I was right. I did get lulled into a sense of security by the math sections on the practice tests though. Don't ignore calculus review just because it's underrepresented on the practice tests. For the record I used Cliff's practice PCAT and Barron's. I liked using different publishers because they focus on different topics and I felt I got a better review.

For your reading comprehension I would suggest lots of practice. I don't know if it's better for you to read the whole passage, skim it, or just read the questions and search for the answer. Why not try each method once or twice in some practice situations? See which one is best for you. Good luck!

This is my fourth time taking the PCAT in June 2007. I need some advice on some things I've been having difficulty with. I'm not great at standardize testing and want to improve my score. So here's my questions:

1) How can I study for sentence completions on the verbal section?
2) Haven't taken calculus for awhile, and I know there are limit questions on the math section, is there any book to help me out?
3) I'm honestly a slow reader, and I need advice on how to approach the reading comprehension of the test. This section is always my lowest score. I was wondering if I should read the whole passage first or read the questions first then read the passage. When time is almost up, I'm always left with one passage, and 2-3 questions answered on it.
4) I seriously need help on timing on the verbal, chemistry, and reading comprehension. I would say chemistry is the worst when it comes to answering enough questions in the the 35 minutes given. My last try, I was doing great, knowing I hit every question right, but I was half way done and time was up.

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

Hi,
I was looking for study materials on ebay, and I came accross this product:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PCAT-higher-sco...oryZ2228QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Since I have the same problem like you (not enough time to read all the questions), I bought it.I haven't had time to use it yet, since the exams are coming up soon (end of the semester), but i hope it helps. It's supposed to help you improve your reading speed. When I told my friend about it, she told me that she saw something on TV about it, meaning that it really helps.

I really don't know if the program helps or not. I just thought I'd let you know about it.

Good Luck!

Mzchui, thank you, that was inspirational. The problem with practice tests is getting the right one. Barron's practice test is too easy and is nothing like the PCAT. I'll try Cliff's to see the differences. One advantage of the PCAT is that a lot of the questions are recycled, but a disadvantage is the makers of the PCAT do not give out old exams to the public so we can practice on them :-\.