danib2k15

ACCEPTED WOOOOOO
Aug 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hi everyone,

I decided to spend my year off doing cancer research. Unfortunately, due to funding issues, it looks like my PI is going to leave the institution. It's complicated and I have been assured by him that he will place me in another lab. I already submitted my secondaries, and I have 2 interview invites (one in Sept, one in Dec). How do I let schools know about this issue when he leaves? What if he can't put me in another lab? I have been volunteering to fill my time and could do that near full time til at least late November. I currently volunteer as a tutor for a homeless child and have been working on a project which I could also take up full time. I also am trying to find shadowing. This has been a very challenging time for me, and I don't want it to damage my chances. There is nothing I can do about the situation, and I had no way of knowing things were this dire prior to deciding to pursue this opportunity. Advice greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Take a breath. It's going to be alright. This is nowhere near a disastrous situation. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. If schools ask you about what you're doing on interview day, just tell the truth. I don't think this will be a major problem.

OP
danib2k15

danib2k15

ACCEPTED WOOOOOO
Aug 21, 2015
Status
Thank you @WedgeDawg - I guess I was also wondering if this is something I should update all medical schools on, not just those who have sent me interviews. And should I update the schools prior to interview?

gublagu3

2+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
On the plus side, you already have three years of research experience, so you should be fine. You could also try reaching out to other lab pi's if you want to continue doing research. In my experience, if you try hard enough, you can probably get another research position soon!

Reactions: danib2k15

italiancowgirl

5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I wouldn't say anything to the other schools. Life is not linear. Things happen, plans change, and as long as you are still actively working on yourself you will be fine. They want to see that you genuinely learned from life, not that you did everything on your to-do list. When you get to interviews be ready to talk about a few valuable experiences you are in and don't worry about what you are not doing.

Reactions: danib2k15
OP
danib2k15

danib2k15

ACCEPTED WOOOOOO
Aug 21, 2015
Status
Just wondering if anyone else has an adyvice on how I should handle this i.e. how I should notify schools or if I should at all?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
There's no need to notify schools, just do something else. They don't need to know that either.

OP
danib2k15

danib2k15

ACCEPTED WOOOOOO
Aug 21, 2015
Status
Thank you very much @Goro - greatly appreciate your advice!

Reactions: Goro