Need Advice - Gap year trouble

Started by danib2k15
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

danib2k15

ACCEPTED WOOOOOO
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I decided to spend my year off doing cancer research. Unfortunately, due to funding issues, it looks like my PI is going to leave the institution. It's complicated and I have been assured by him that he will place me in another lab. I already submitted my secondaries, and I have 2 interview invites (one in Sept, one in Dec). How do I let schools know about this issue when he leaves? What if he can't put me in another lab? I have been volunteering to fill my time and could do that near full time til at least late November. I currently volunteer as a tutor for a homeless child and have been working on a project which I could also take up full time. I also am trying to find shadowing. This has been a very challenging time for me, and I don't want it to damage my chances. There is nothing I can do about the situation, and I had no way of knowing things were this dire prior to deciding to pursue this opportunity. Advice greatly appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Thank you @WedgeDawg - I guess I was also wondering if this is something I should update all medical schools on, not just those who have sent me interviews. And should I update the schools prior to interview?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the plus side, you already have three years of research experience, so you should be fine. You could also try reaching out to other lab pi's if you want to continue doing research. In my experience, if you try hard enough, you can probably get another research position soon!
 
I wouldn't say anything to the other schools. Life is not linear. Things happen, plans change, and as long as you are still actively working on yourself you will be fine. They want to see that you genuinely learned from life, not that you did everything on your to-do list. When you get to interviews be ready to talk about a few valuable experiences you are in and don't worry about what you are not doing.
 
Just wondering if anyone else has an adyvice on how I should handle this i.e. how I should notify schools or if I should at all?