Need advice/info from medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badst6

badst6
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok Im looking for some advice from current medical students (MD and DO) and what you think of my situation. Sorry if its a bit long...

Im currently a sophmore in college who switched from a good PA program to a Biology/Premed program. My grades freshman year were pretty good (3.5) and Im looking to maintain/improve that this year. Im currently taking ochem, comparative anatomy,calculus, and some other general classes. Right now were coming up on finals week and my grades are looking pretty good (A's and B's) but I just found out that i'll probably be getting a C in anatomy lab. I know its only one credit, but how much is that going to affect me? I heard that ochem was terrible, but im looking at the possibility of pulling out an A in the class, but I just couldnt get anatomy lab and it didnt seem as if the studying paid off. Is this a sign that I wont be able to handle medical school? Or will this affect my chances of getting into medical school and will taking it again help? Right now, if everything went perfect for finals, my GPA this semester would be about 3.7, but realistically it will probably be around a 3.5. Will a 3.5 be competitve for med school with that C? I also run cross country/track and field for my school and was wondering if that will be any benefit at all when applying?
Are there any current MD or DO students that had a similar situation? I know its a lot of questions, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is competitive for DO schools. A 1 credit C won't hurt you much. You have 3 semesters to pull up your GPA. You'll have a shot if you do well at both types of schools.

you are sitting just fine if you can pull off the ochem A, and who knows....if you do drastically well on your anatomy lab final....you may pull off a B.

work hard and you will reap the fruits of your labor.

you have a few semesters left to really bolster your GPA if you are looking for a spectacular school, but as you know its not just a GPA that gets you into medical school...mcat ec's and your passion for the job are all taken into consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
One C will NOT ruin your application, especially if it is a one credit lab. I know this because I have 2 C's on my transcript - Gen Chem Labs I and II, and still had plenty of interviews and one acceptance so far. One class does not make or break an application or your GPA. Even if it is a class that is a pre-req or medically related. The schools don't really care about that unless they see a trend in your grades - if you got C's in ever biology class for instance.

Don't worry. You have plenty of time to show your worth in other classes :).

Ok Im looking for some advice from current medical students (MD and DO) and what you think of my situation. Sorry if its a bit long...

Im currently a sophmore in college who switched from a good PA program to a Biology/Premed program. My grades freshman year were pretty good (3.5) and Im looking to maintain/improve that this year. Im currently taking ochem, comparative anatomy,calculus, and some other general classes. Right now were coming up on finals week and my grades are looking pretty good (A's and B's) but I just found out that i'll probably be getting a C in anatomy lab. I know its only one credit, but how much is that going to affect me? I heard that ochem was terrible, but im looking at the possibility of pulling out an A in the class, but I just couldnt get anatomy lab and it didnt seem as if the studying paid off. Is this a sign that I wont be able to handle medical school? Or will this affect my chances of getting into medical school and will taking it again help? Right now, if everything went perfect for finals, my GPA this semester would be about 3.7, but realistically it will probably be around a 3.5. Will a 3.5 be competitve for med school with that C? I also run cross country/track and field for my school and was wondering if that will be any benefit at all when applying?
Are there any current MD or DO students that had a similar situation? I know its a lot of questions, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

That one C will not hurt you very much. You GPA looks to be in decent shape, IMO. Keep trying to bring it up, never hurts to have more A's but don't sweat having a 3.5. Work on getting some clinical experience and volunteering.