Need advice, long, I apologize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemostat33

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've lingered on this forum for years now, and I've gotten a lot of good advice. I am again at the point where I don't know what to do.

First, I live with my boyfriend about 300 miles from where we grew up. He got a job down here, and I was able to get into grad school down here. I'm in a biology graduate program, and I'm supposed to write a thesis, with emphasis on supposed to. I'm in my second full time semester, but I've actually been taking graduate classes for two years now. I probably have 30+ biology credits.
Anyway, my boyfriend is getting transferred back to where we live, which is a much better place to live and I miss it terribly. Money may end up being an issue if I stay here. I have a year left, suppposedly, before I can graduate, but I feel like I may end up not even finishing my research. The professor I work for is a really cool guy, extremely nice, but he is terrible at instructing my research. He never seems to be around, he doens't even do research himself, and he just sort of seems unorganized. I get comments from other professors about him being like this, which is so embaressing, because this is my future. I honestly still don't have a clear idea of my project. It seems to change here and there all the time. I've done little research in two semesters and i'm the only student in his lab, and I'm getting scared and frustrated. I don't want to be here anymore. A few weeks ago he told me to look up a non thesis masters as a back up, just in case. It was such a relief to hear him say that, which should be a red flag that I'm definately not happy, and not feeling good about this.

I'm rambling, I know, but i'm really stuck. I have done fine in grad school, my gpa will probably be around a 3.8 when i'm done, if not higher. I have plenty of dental experience, and I have confidence I can do well on the DAT. Should I stop wasting my time and my money, and take the next semester to write a paper and pursue a non thesis masters, and get out of here? I work two jobs (one as a TA) and I've taken out a small amt in loans. I just can't afford to waste my time like this. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

clearly you're not happy with your current situation. do you think you'll be any happier if this were your career?
why are you leaning towards dentistry? is it just another option or do you think you'll be happy doing it?

i say do whichever makes you happier, and works for your situation. and whichever you choose, move on it! :D i spent so long trying to figure out what i wanted to do and now that i'm on the path i need to be on, it is so relieving to have direction! but just thinking about what you want to do in terms of a career. if research is it, then focus and get done what needs to be done. if not, then explore and come be a dentist! :)

i'm only in grad school to get into dental school...i love science, but there is no way in hell that I would want a career in research. I chose the thesis option because I was under the impression a non thesis masters would not make me competitive. I'm still unsure about that, and I think that is my main concern. I feel like i'd be wasting a huge amount of time, money, and unhappiness if I kept going, and then realized in a year I don't even have the research to write my thesis. Its impossible to predict that, though, so I'm in this predicament. I just have a feeling I will end up in that situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh! sorry! i misunderstood.
um.. then i have no advice. :)
my gut says go with non-thesis route but i'm no authority! sorry!

First, I live with my boyfriend about 300 miles from where we grew up. He got a job down here, and I was able to get into grad school down here. I'm in a biology graduate program, and I'm supposed to write a thesis, with emphasis on supposed to. I'm in my second full time semester, but I've actually been taking graduate classes for two years now. I probably have 30+ biology credits.
The professor I work for is a really cool guy, extremely nice, but he is terrible at instructing my research. He never seems to be around, he doens't even do research himself, and he just sort of seems unorganized. I honestly still don't have a clear idea of my project. It seems to change here and there all the time. A few weeks ago he told me to look up a non thesis masters as a back up, just in case. It was such a relief to hear him say that, which should be a red flag that I'm definately not happy, and not feeling good about this.

I'm rambling, I know, but i'm really stuck. I have done fine in grad school, my gpa will probably be around a 3.8 when i'm done, if not higher. I have plenty of dental experience, and I have confidence I can do well on the DAT.

Unlike undergraduate, research done as a graduate student is more a come up with the idea yourself, plan the work and do it without much help from your professor. If you were told to look for a back up plan it sounds like he is suggesting a parting of your ways. Starting and now finishing is usually not a good idea.

i'm only in grad school to get into dental school...i love science, but there is no way in hell that I would want a career in research. I chose the thesis option because I was under the impression a non thesis masters would not make me competitive. I'm still unsure about that, and I think that is my main concern. I feel like i'd be wasting a huge amount of time, money, and unhappiness if I kept going, and then realized in a year I don't even have the research to write my thesis. Its impossible to predict that, though, so I'm in this predicament. I just have a feeling I will end up in that situation.

If your gpa is as high as you claim, why bother pursuing an MS in which you have no interest?

Last edited:
Have you always wanted to be a dentist? I understand how frustrating it is working under a PI that seems to like publicity and meetings more than research. However, it is something that you have to deal with because there are a lot of people who are in research when their heart is somewhere else. That being said is your heart really in dentistry? Its 4 four of commitment, a lot of energy, money and most importantly time. If you feel its a fun career to dabble in please think it over and make sure its what you want. Most people who become dentists have wanted to do so for a long time and when finished with D schools dont change careers.

Research is honestly a bunch load of crap. The only reason why you would want to be involved in research is because you have 1) a passion for the field or 2) you want to boost up your resume to get into professional school or get a job.

I know a person that dropped out of dental school to pursue a pHD in Marine Biology because he had a passion for it and not dentistry. Sounds like you want to do dentistry so you too can make the 360 turn around and apply now and save yourself time and money in the process.

Screw the thesis and just finish up your requirements and apply to Dschool!

i've applied to dental school twice before, never even got an interview, but then again, i only applied to a few schools. i am applying again during this year's cycle because now I have a good amount of graduate work. i've always wanted to be a dentist, i was an assistant for eight years, and i've taught dental assisting. i'm familiar with the field.
I'm just afraid that by skipping the thesis, I will be less competitive, but I suppose if I do well on the DAT, my app will be fairly strong. I just don't want to make this decision, and then not get in, and realize I should have just stuck it out and finished my research...if that would even happen. Its a really difficult decision. I still really don't know what I'll do. All the advice i'm given by others, including my family, who work in the dental field, seems to be so mixed.

correct me if im wrong... but, i thought that if you are in grad school, dont dentschools prefer that u finish it before applying???
also hemostat33, just out of curiosity what are your undergraduate GPA/stats?

sounds like doing a thesis is a giant headache that you're not willing to undertake. i think your grad gpa speaks for itself. you're already leaning towards it (so it seems), so i say just stop wasting time/money and do non-thesis track to get out of there.
good luck.