Need advice on Failure secondary question. Not sure if my situation applies to prompt.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phixius12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm trying to answer this prompt "Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life."

I want to discuss my failure to graduate high school on time with my peers because of my family's circumstances. And the steps I took to overcome this situation, developing effective coping mechanisms in the process.

I am not sure if I can discuss this because the prompt says do not discuss an "academic experience." However, I would only be saying that I failed to graduate high school. I would not be discussing any specifics of coursework etc. Would this be considered an academic experience? I learned so much from this experience, but I don't want to talk about it if it goes against the prompt's instructions.

I appreciate any advice I can get! Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't pick something pre college. Try something more recent

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Adding to the above, school is academics. But even so, failing to graduate high school because of a family situation seems more like a hardship than a failure. If you can't do something because of circumstances beyond your control, you haven't really failed--you just weren't set up for success. The prompt wants to see how you handle just flat out failure.

Reactions: 1 user