Need Advice on MCAT Date and AMCAS Submission Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swisher Sweets

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

About myself... I'm a recent graduate (can't believe it's over) and I'm retaking the MCAT this summer! I took the MCAT last summer in late May (got a 26) and didn't get a chance to retake. I sorta choked on this test. I was scoring in the low 30s consistently on practice tests and was expecting a similar score. I also felt that I wasn't ready due to lack of shadowing hours and cold feet.

Fast forward to this summer. I'm unsure of when to take it. Right now I'm thinking about mid-July. The only problem is I have this awesome internship opportunity at the local hospital to shadow 7 different specialties for 4 weeks and really get an in depth look at the medical profession (hallelujah!).

I'm so excited but this internship will be 8 - 4 Mon-Friday... so it'll be time consuming. I'm going to try to do late study sessions after I get back and go hard on the weekend as much as possible. I'll be done by the end of June so I can get back to studying for a couple of more weeks before my MCAT (~2.5 weeks).

I guess my question is do you think taking it later than mid-July would negatively effect my chances? My instate schools MCAT scores are around ~30 so I'm reallllllllly trying to break that 30 barrier and make myself competitive. I know from my past experience that rushing the MCAT is not the way to go, but I also don't want to hurt my chances.

Would it help to finish up all my AMCAS information and get that verified and submit that? If I push back the test date say to late July do you think this will hurt my chances? I'm working on getting my LOR and it's going well so far. Do I need to have those ready to have my AMCAS verified? I feel like sort of a noob so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

P.S: GPA is 4.0 and I have a lot of great volunteering and extra curricular activities as well as a 2 years of research experience (not published or anything fancy haha).

Members don't see this ad.

Since you seem to need shadowing hours for your application, I would definitely take that internship opportunity. However, retaking MCAT later than mid July will lower your chances, since the score will not be released until mid or late August and for a borderline applicant, it is not ideal.

However, if you really do not wish to take a gap year, make sure to submit all the application materials as early as you can and hope for the best. Prepare for the worst case scenario that your MCAT retake might not break 30 and you could potentially re-apply.