Need advice on what to do next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elemental951

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up everyone...
I'm currently a senior, graduating in june with a microbio degree
I have yet to take the DAT
My oGPA is 3.28
science is around 3.0-3.1
Currently work as a dental assistant, I have some volunteering/been a part of various on campus groups etc.
over 100 hours shadowing
I plan on applying June 2017 and taking the DAT during my GAP year, but I'm not sure what the best option is as far as helping my low GPA situation..Should i do an informal postbac? Should i extend my application and do a one year masters?
I'm really looking for some direction as to what would give me the best chance of acceptance

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know and seen on these forums, I would try and get at least a 22 on the DAT to make up for your relatively low GPA. I think that would make you competitive. I got a 20 on my DAT but have a 3.85 oGPA

What's up everyone...
I'm currently a senior, graduating in june with a microbio degree
I have yet to take the DAT
My oGPA is 3.28
science is around 3.0-3.1
Currently work as a dental assistant, I have some volunteering/been a part of various on campus groups etc.
over 100 hours shadowing
I plan on applying June 2017 and taking the DAT during my GAP year, but I'm not sure what the best option is as far as helping my low GPA situation..Should i do an informal postbac? Should i extend my application and do a one year masters?
I'm really looking for some direction as to what would give me the best chance of acceptance

Either option would be good for you as long as you can get mostly A's throughout the post-bac/ masters.
I didn't do either of the options and shortened my lifespan waiting for interviews/acceptance throughout the application cycle.

I'd either take the DAT before or after the program you choose to enroll in.
Personally, I would take the DAT before because it's a major component of the application that takes only 2 months from studying to getting your score.
On the other hand, finishing post-bac/masters may help prepare you into doing well on the DAT.

Just gotta be really disciplined going about this and you'll be fine however you choose to strengthen your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
What ever is financially and physically best for you, either Post bac or masters. But definitely do one of those. Either take the DAT first or after but I wouldn't want to be under stress of the DAT while in the middle of the post bacc/masters (if it were me)

Reactions: 1 user
I have similar stats as you and a DAT of 19AA nothing under 18. I have started taking classes this year while working full time as a dental assistant but admissions have told me realistically I should probably do full time post bacc this fall because one or two classes each semester aren't going to be enough.

SMP and get a 22+ on the DAT