need advice on whether I should get a master's degree before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LauraFairlie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow future doctors!
I'm in a bit of a quandary here...I graduated with a 3.59 undergrad GPA from State university of NY, and have recently moved to California with my family. I MUST go to a med school here in southern California, b/c I cannot bare to be so far away from my beloved family...and I just don't want to go back east when I finally got out of there. So right now, I am still a NY resident, and will have a very low chance of getting into UC Irvine med school esp. due to my GPA.
Would it enhance my chances of getting accepted to UCI med if I got a master's degree at UCI? Or should I just take the MCAt in Sept (this is another problems b/c I will be competing for the last few spaces in the application process) and apply as is to various med schools? I know that even if I get a masters in UCI, it won't guarantee my place in their med school, but I heard a master's degree in your resume will increase your chances with all med schools. I really need help in making the right decision, so please help!! Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

I had some advice, but then realized I don't know anything about CA schools! HAHA

Anyways, I don't think you should do a Master's just to improve your app in general. It won't boost your GPA and I'm not sure that UCI would care that you did a Master's there.