[NEED ADVICE PLEASE] Possibility of matching into Ophthalmology with a 236 on step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloudophthy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am an M3 (just started my first clinical rotation last week) and I have been interested in ophthalmology since before medical school. I recently received my step1 score and was pretty devastated to see that I got a 236. I am now trying to decide if I need to give up on ophthalmology. What do you think my chances are of matching into ophtho with a 236 on step1? And if there is any chance, what should I be focusing on/what do I realistically need to accomplish in order to successfully match? I will be very grateful for any help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on everything else in your package. If you have research and are from a top 20 school and you do well clinically and do well on Step 2 CK it won’t matter even for a top 5 program.

Reactions: 1 user
Focus on getting a high step 2ck. Do as many aways as you effectively can and absolutely destroy them. Start collecting strong letter of recs. Research research research. <— this is how you make strong connections without actually being gifted connections

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You’ll be fine. You’ll match somewhere if you can get some research and pubs = get strong LORs from ophthalmology faculty and extra bonus if they are well known >> do well third year, do well step 2CK

Pubs and strong letters from ophthalmologists especially well known ones will help you match for sure! Your step 1 is within decent range. Ophthalmology is very competitive, as we all know, but you’ll be fine. Sure it may not be at Iowa, MEEI, Wills, etc. but you’ll match somewhere, I’m positive.

PM if you ever have any questions.