Need advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalLonghorn2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

As a post bac student, I know for sure that grades need to be improved in order to help get an acceptance to dental school.

I was wondering if I should join the predental association at my post bac school. At my Alma mater, I was moderately to heavily involved with my predent society. I even won a small scholarship from it. I've been through it all. Topics about dental school trips, visiting dentists, etc. I've seen and heard everything a predental society could offer.

As a post bac student, I am hesistant if I should join because I honestly feel like the extra studying time would benfit me more than attending a few socials. In addition to my post bac, i am also prepping for my DAT retake in January.

I also still shadow regularly and volunteer at an assistant living home on Fridays and plan on helping with dental clinics when they show up in my town.

I would appreciate any advice y'all can give me. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

As a post bac student, I am hesistant if I should join because I honestly feel like the extra studying time would benfit me more than attending a few socials. In addition to my post bac, i am also prepping for my DAT retake in January.

I also still shadow regularly and volunteer at an assistant living home on Fridays and plan on helping with dental clinics when they show up in my town.

I think you answered your own question :).

Reactions: 1 users
Your extra studying needed to get those stats up are your primary concern and objective. Joining a new pre dental society and wasting time will not change your outcome or your application at all since you have already been heavily involved with the other in the recent past. Concentrate on getting the DAT and GPA up by any means necessary at this point. These are much much more important. And don't feel guilty about not participating in the new society or care about what others are doing around you...... Focus on your objective. Fact that you're doing a post- bac with DAT retake its clear what you intend to and need to do. Get at it and get those scores up.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't join. Why not volunteer a few hours on the weekends.

I agree, study on fridays and shadow (because we- dentists- let me include us in the statement- don't work on weekends :) and leave the volunteering maybe for saturday? you need to study!!!!

Thank you everyone for the advice!
I had a feeling I was right but something in mind was telling me that adcoms might ask this: "Why didn't you do anything else besides study during your post bac?" or something like that.

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, but anyone can argue about it. I think it is good to stay connected in pre-dental society. However, don't put all your commitment like you did in undergraduate. I believe it is important to get to know all the people that are your potential classmates for dental school or if you are not planning to apply soon, then getting to know your future mentors. It has helped me greatly by just asking other people for advice to ensure that my decisions are correct.

Also, talking to people that have the same passion as you is really a good way to seek for motivation. I wouldn't have done as well in school if my pre-dental friends didn't stress about my gpa. Anyways, good luck.