Need advice regarding becoming a PNP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

☆Emerge-N-See☆

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm going to keep this rather short & simple. My knowledge, passion, & innate abilities are far and above the average Joe with minimal formal education on pyschiatric pharmacology. This is the result of spending 10+ years of reading books, scholarly research, anecdotal evidence, and surrounding myself with those in the mental health profession.

The problem is that due to my own shortcomings, namely poorly treated mental illness, I have about 4 semesters of W's and/or F's compared to only 3 semesters of all A's with one B.

Now what do I need to do to make those medically documented health issues a legitimate reason to somewhat give me a clean(er) slate? I just lost my financial aid due to being involuntarily admitted toward the end of the semester, and also would like to reinstate my ability to be granted financial help throughout my college career.

And with all this on the table thus far, is it still possible for me to get into nursing school & then graduate nursing school to become a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd encourage your to utilize your knowledge, passion, & above-average innate abilities to come up with a solution. Please keep us posted.

Reactions: 3 users
Being a psychiatric NP is kind of like saying you are a "fitness guru" or an "expert car detailer." If you've read enough scholarly research and have the right innate ability, which it sounds like you do, you don't really need any silly certifications or training, you can just hang a shingle and advertise on craigslist

Reactions: 1 users
First, to reiterate, this is the wrong forum.

Second, what have your care providers said when you discussed this with them? Depending on the nature of your therapeutic relationships, they may decline, but otherwise they need to be on your side, and you will need to have regular supervision through your path to make sure you are doing well to care for patients. Putting someone's life in your hands is something that needs to be taken very seriously. Given your experience, you need to be prepared to hold yourself to a higher ethical standard, if this path is possible at all.

Being a psychiatric NP is kind of like saying you are a "fitness guru" or an "expert car detailer." If you've read enough scholarly research and have the right innate ability, which it sounds like you do, you don't really need any silly certifications or training, you can just hang a shingle and advertise on craigslist

Um, I'm guessing you have little to no respect for PNP'a?

I don't exactly understand why, considering they can prescribe any psychiatric medicine an MD can, and also can open up a private practice. Not to mention they can by all means be just as efficient at med management as an MD with the proper training & personal desire to make their career a life-long study.

Anyways...
*Could a moderator move this thread to the appropriate section*

& I guess my main question to you all is my past experience with personal struggles dealing with mental illness something that can/will be held against me when trying to get my medical license?

Anyways...
*Could a moderator move this thread to the appropriate section*

& I guess my main question to you all is my past experience with personal struggles dealing with mental illness something that can/will be held against me when trying to get my medical license?
You don't need it to be moved. Just go make a post in the appropriately labeled forum. Also, you aren't trying to get a medical license if you are trying to be an NP since NPs aren't doctors.

Edit: apparently it can be moved.

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm going to keep this rather short & simple. My knowledge, passion, & innate abilities are far and above the average Joe with minimal formal education on pyschiatric pharmacology. This is the result of spending 10+ years of reading books, scholarly research, anecdotal evidence, and surrounding myself with those in the mental health profession.

The problem is that due to my own shortcomings, namely poorly treated mental illness, I have about 4 semesters of W's and/or F's compared to only 3 semesters of all A's with one B.

Now what do I need to do to make those medically documented health issues a legitimate reason to somewhat give me a clean(er) slate? I just lost my financial aid due to being involuntarily admitted toward the end of the semester, and also would like to reinstate my ability to be granted financial help throughout my college career.

And with all this on the table thus far, is it still possible for me to get into nursing school & then graduate nursing school to become a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner?

As far as the nuts and bolts of how to handle your current financial aid situation, you would be best served to contact an advisor at your university. Nobody else can really give you adequate advice that would compare well to what they can do for you. They know you best, and they know what resources can be marshaled on your behalf. They also have seen students with similar circumstances as yours. Additionally, your academic institution also would be the ones to talk to about how to deal with the W's, and how to petition to try to have that dealt with, if possible. That would be where to start.

Other professional options you can explore are roles in counseling or therapy that don't involve prescription privileges. Those routes aren't as perilous as having to navigate through the challenges involved in becoming a provider. What you don't want to do is get halfway through a very expensive program only to run into challenging life circumstances that require you to take time off, because it is almost never accommodated. If it is, it is usually allowed on narrow terms that might not even work for your situation. And that is the case for both RN school, and NP school. RN school would be the least forgiving of any kind of disruption, and they will tell you that upfront.

As far as the nuts and bolts of how to handle your current financial aid situation, you would be best served to contact an advisor at your university. Nobody else can really give you adequate advice that would compare well to what they can do for you. They know you best, and they know what resources can be marshaled on your behalf. They also have seen students with similar circumstances as yours. Additionally, your academic institution also would be the ones to talk to about how to deal with the W's, and how to petition to try to have that dealt with, if possible. That would be where to start.

Other professional options you can explore are roles in counseling or therapy that don't involve prescription privileges. Those routes aren't as perilous as having to navigate through the challenges involved in becoming a provider. What you don't want to do is get halfway through a very expensive program only to run into challenging life circumstances that require you to take time off, because it is almost never accommodated. If it is, it is usually allowed on narrow terms that might not even work for your situation. And that is the case for both RN school, and NP school. RN school would be the least forgiving of any kind of disruption, and they will tell you that upfront.

Well honestly my biggest passion is psychopharmacology. Which is why I really wanna try & navigate the adulterous waters of becoming a provider. I just need some professional reassurance that despite my somewhat tumultuous past, I can indeed still make this a reality.

Well honestly my biggest passion is psychopharmacology. Which is why I really wanna try & navigate the adulterous waters of becoming a provider. I just need some professional reassurance that despite my somewhat tumultuous past, I can indeed still make this a reality.

If you can successfully pass an RN program, you can pass an NP program. Start there.

Reactions: 1 user