Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Davidko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need advice whether or not I should apply to DOs this cycle...Applied to 23 MD programs this cycle, 8 rejections, 1 "interview wait list" and still waiting for 15 (silence). I know its still mid cycle, but want to do things right...I have been sending updates to current schools.

About me:
California applicant, economically disadvantaged student, first gen college student
Science GPA: 3.44, non-science 3.5
MCAT: 26--->28
currently working full time as an EMT
average/above average: extracurricular, shadowing, athletics, volunteer work, research, LOR

My dilemma:
1. I don't have a DO LOR...I am currently looking for a DO to shadow and hopefully one who would write me a decent LOR
2. It also seems to me to be very late in the cycle...

Honestly, I really want to go MD and do not feel like applying to DO...However I'll do DO if it comes to that. Is it worth the time and money to still apply? Would it be better to wait until next cycle to avoid DO and avoid a re-applicant bias? (if that exists)

Members don't see this ad.

can you cold email some DOs and work with them?

I would wait and apply DO for the next cycle once you have the DO letter.
People with more experience can probably give more solid advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Need advice whether or not I should apply to DOs this cycle...Applied to 23 MD programs this cycle, 8 rejections, 1 "interview wait list" and still waiting for 15 (silence). I know its still mid cycle, but want to do things right...I have been sending updates to current schools.

About me:
California applicant, economically disadvantaged student, first gen college student
Science GPA: 3.44, non-science 3.5
MCAT: 26--->28
currently working full time as an EMT
average/above average: extracurricular, shadowing, athletics, volunteer work, research, LOR

My dilemma:
1. I don't have a DO LOR...I am currently looking for a DO to shadow and hopefully one who would write me a decent LOR
2. It also seems to me to be very late in the cycle...

Honestly, I really want to go MD and do not feel like applying to DO...However I'll do DO if it comes to that. Is it worth the time and money to still apply? Would it be better to wait until next cycle to avoid DO and avoid a re-applicant bias? (if that exists)
This late in the cycle and no DO letter... you should wait until next cycle and apply DO once you get the letter. With your numbers, you should be fine for DO.

Your MCAT is very low for a non-URM for MD. It is a bit low for top-end DOs as well.

do not feel like applying to DO
Bro, if being a physician is really the career for you, apply DO

It kind of sounds like you don't want to go DO. Let's just say for example, it's June 2016 and the only acceptance you have is a "low tier" DO....do you want to go to that school, or do you want to reapply MD with an improved app and give it one more shot?

It sounds like you're asking if you can get into a DO school, but you should first figure out if going to a DO school this year is what you want to do.

It's doubtful you'll have good luck at MD schools with a low MCAT. But please don't apply DO. You obviously don't want to be a DO so why on earth would you apply? Besides its getting pretty late to apply DO. If you absolutely want a MD you'll have to retake the MCAT.

If it weren't for you MCAT, MD would not be out of the question. I agree with the suggestion of wait till next cycle and go DO