need advice..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bimil1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to get some advice on how to proceed with my path to Dentistry or if i should just apply for jobs

I graduated with a cGPA of ~2.8 and a sGPA of ~2.8
I took the DAT on got AA 19, PA 20, TS 18

I know my stats are way below par, so any advice would be nice..
thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I need to get some advice on how to proceed with my path to Dentistry or if i should just apply for jobs

I graduated with a cGPA of ~2.8 and a sGPA of ~2.8
I took the DAT on got AA 19, PA 20, TS 18

I know my stats are way below par, so any advice would be nice..
thank you
Your DAT is pretty average. The thing that's really going to hurt you is your GPA though. I would do post bacc coursework and retake the DAT to score a 20+.
If you had challenging life circumstances that contributed to your low GPA adcoms will take that into consideration too.

Ultimately the decision to pursue dentistry is up to you. If it's something you're passionate about then go for it. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Your DAT is pretty average. The thing that's really going to hurt your is your GPA though. I would do post bacc coursework and retake the DAT to score a 20+.
If you had challenging life circumstances that contributed to your low GPA adcoms will take that into consideration too.

Ultimately the decision to pursue dentistry is up to you. If it's something you're passionate about then go for it. :thumbup:

I second everything this guy said.
Also, @Advance , that "Dental Student" status looks awesome on ya! Congrats again on Baylor.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I second everything this guy said.
Also, @Advance , that "Dental Student" status looks awesome on ya! Congrats again on Baylor.
Aw, shucks. Thanks. :oops:
Your time is coming. 12/1/2016.
Save the date!;)

Reactions: 1 user
Bimil, I had the opposite issue. I had a high GPA of 3.96, but a low DAT.

Contact the school(s) you're interested in and see how they weight each part of one's application. Some schools weight volunteer hours more heavily than others, for example. Identify those areas by contacting the schools. Many dental students I know have been in your position. They bite the bullet and take a little bit of time to pursue a graduate degree while making stellar grades in those courses. Not only will those grades convey your capability, it will exemplify your persistence toward a career in dentistry.

Hope that helps! Best of luck!

@Tman26 @Advance @Incis0r thank you guys for your input,

I also would add that i have 100+ hours of volunteer, 1 publication and getting another one done as a second author with a professor at my university's dental school, and lots of shadowing hours as well.

Overall, I just wanted some reassurance that it is still possible to go to dentistry

thank you guys

I had a very similar undergrad GPA like yours. I dug myself into a pretty deep hole and it just made it that much harder to climb out. In my case, I felt it was going to take way too many courses to fix my uGPA and boost up to a 3.0+. So, I just did a SMP and got a fresh graduate GPA (3.92) and did fair on the DAT(22). I have a LOA so I guess I did something right...

My point is if I could do it, you can definitely do it too. It's an uphill climb but not impossible.

I had a very similar undergrad GPA like yours. I dug myself into a pretty deep hole and it just made it that much harder to climb out. In my case, I felt it was going to take way too many courses to fix my uGPA and boost up to a 3.0+. So, I just did a SMP and got a fresh graduate GPA (3.92) and did fair on the DAT(22). I have a LOA so I guess I did something right...

My point is if I could do it, you can definitely do it too. It's an uphill climb but not impossible.
thank you! hearing of someone that was also in the same position as I and to have gotten accepted is relieving to hear!