Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistsanonymous

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be my third time applying and I want to ask you guys for advice.
I had interviews last cycle but was waitlisted and eventually rejected.
This cycle I applied pretty late and haven't received any interviews as of yet (still waiting for some schools, but I am guessing I will be rejected from them soon).

-My third and last DAT attempt is 19 AA 20 TS
-GPA undergrad 3.4 and sci 3.1
-Currently working as a dental assistant
-I have many shadowing and work experience in the dental field

My question is should I retake my DAT (but it will be my fourth attempt) - one school suggested I should do so
Is there anyone with similar stats to mine who had been accepted by applying early?

Thank you all so much for reading and for providing your continuous support through this forum :) !

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be real with you. It's probably best to retake the DAT with a GPA that falls under the average to below-average category. There are indeed people who get accepted with 19 AA, but I think your sGPA will hold you back. You ideally want to score an AA 20+. Also, why did you apply so late? I am in no way trying to be rude. Just genuinely curious because after two cycles I would assume that you are aware that applying early only benefits you.

If you do plan on reapplying for this upcoming cycle, I would highly recommend considering a Masters or post-bac.

Reactions: 1 user
I was considering it but I wanted to take advantage of other options before I admit to any programs. I have bachelors in biology

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'll be real with you. It's probably best to retake the DAT with a GPA that falls under the average to below-average category. There are indeed people who get accepted with 19 AA, but I think your sGPA will hold you back. You ideally want to score an AA 20+. Also, why did you apply so late? I am in no way trying to be rude. Just genuinely curious because after two cycles I would assume that you are aware that applying early only benefits you.

If you do plan on reapplying for this upcoming cycle, I would highly recommend considering a Masters or post-bac.

I do want to retake it but I'm not sure how schools will view my fourth attempt or if they will accept it. Just the circumstance I was in with retaking the exam is why I applied late.

I am considering between post-bacc and taking several addition upper biology and chemistry courses.

Thank you for your input!

I do want to retake it but I'm not sure how schools will view my fourth attempt or if they will accept it. Just the circumstance I was in with retaking the exam is why I applied late.

I am considering between post-bacc and taking several addition upper biology and chemistry courses.

Thank you for your input!

If you want a sure way of getting in next cycle, apply for an SMP (1 year masters program in biomedical science) . It's still not too late to apply to many of them.

If you do end up applying for a fourth time, most schools will probably look for a significant change or improvement from previous years. Although it's great that you're getting clinical exposure through your employment, it's probably better to show some sort of academic change/update. I would definitely recommend the post-bacc or SMP route. I personally did a SMP, but looking back I think a post-bacc would have been a better choice financially. If you show a level of academic proficiency with a high graduate level GPA (3.8+), I don't think you would need to retake the DAT.

Best of luck!

If you do end up applying for a fourth time, most schools will probably look for a significant change or improvement from previous years. Although it's great that you're getting clinical exposure through your employment, it's probably better to show some sort of academic change/update. I would definitely recommend the post-bacc or SMP route. I personally did a SMP, but looking back I think a post-bacc would have been a better choice financially. If you show a level of academic proficiency with a high graduate level GPA (3.8+), I don't think you would need to retake the DAT.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for all your advice!

I think it was the late app that absolutely killed it.

As for next steps: Get that app in EARLY.

Also: I think every has said either raise your GPA via some sort of post-bacc or retake the DAT. You obviously need to figure out which one you think you'll be more successful at, which one is the most time-effective and which one is financially possible for you in order to make that happen.

I think it was the late app that absolutely killed it.

As for next steps: Get that app in EARLY.

Also: I think every has said either raise your GPA via some sort of post-bacc or retake the DAT. You obviously need to figure out which one you think you'll be more successful at, which one is the most time-effective and which one is financially possible for you in order to make that happen.

This cycle I am applying right when the application opens! I will also take additional classes and retake my DAT, I think this the best option for me financially and effectively!
Thank you so much for your input!

retake? Nah... apply literally on the first day and pray like crazy, OP

Reactions: 1 user
In addition to the plan you've suggested for yourself OP, apply early and apply BROADLY

I believe you can take the DAT only 3 times, if you haven't found out already.

I'm applying this cycle with a 19AA and 20 TS with a 3.41 OGPA and 3.34 SGPA (should be 3.72 OGPA and 3.65SGPA but one semester abroad demolished my GPA). I was able to get everything in and verified by the first week of July. I applied to 25 schools and feel as if I have a really strong personal statement. If I don't get in this cycle I'll be doing a masters program next year to boost up my GPA. Just letting you know my situation since we have similar stats. I wish you the best of luck and don't give up on your dream.

I'm applying this cycle with a 19AA and 20 TS with a 3.41 OGPA and 3.34 SGPA (should be 3.72 OGPA and 3.65SGPA but one semester abroad demolished my GPA). I was able to get everything in and verified by the first week of July. I applied to 25 schools and feel as if I have a really strong personal statement. If I don't get in this cycle I'll be doing a masters program next year to boost up my GPA. Just letting you know my situation since we have similar stats. I wish you the best of luck and don't give up on your dream.

Thank you so much and good luck to you! We will keep each other posted :) hoping to see you post on the school interview threads!