Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CherieRed

Reaction score
I did not enter pharmacy school and I did horribly on the pcat. Still I want to study pharmacy.

I have finished my bachelors degree in biomedical sciences with all the pre requisites that most pharmacy schools ask for. Since I graduated I worked for several pharmaceutical industries but I really want to study again and finish what I wanted from the very beginning.

I need advice. Does completing a certification in pharmacy technician help get into pharmacy school? Im thinking they’ll see a real interest from my part and I’ll have some pharmacy experience to add.

Any advice is welcome, thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @CherieRed! First, I would identify the areas you need to work on and set a timeline for yourself so that you can apply next year should you choose to pursue pharmacy. You mentioned that you did not do well on the PCAT so this is certainly something you can work on. What are the subjects you need to work on? How many practice tests have you done? Those are some questions to ask yourself before sitting for a PCAT exam. Getting a pharmacy technician certificate will help you gain work experience and makes you a stronger applicant. However, it is not required to get into pharmacy school. Most students in my class did not have a pharmacy technician certification when entering pharmacy school. Furthermore, you mentioned that you worked for several pharmaceutical industries which also counts towards work experience. As long as you identify what you need to work on, then you can start early and be ready when application season rolls around again.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Since you earned a Bachelors, what is your overall cGPA and sGPA? What upper science courses did you take and did you have an upward trend? How many schools did you apply to and how broad did you cast your application net (specific region of the country vs. all over)?

Until we know your academic standpoints, yes study PCAT utilizing Kaplan Studyguide to learn / review your fundamentals, then obtain Dr. Collins and Pearson Exams to put your fundamentals to use. As far as experience, I'd absolutely obtain a state licensure (usually a fingerprint and mugshot at the nearest police station and send the fee to your state capital and just like that your certified). I would push you to take the PTCB exam to be nationally certified as it can widen your horizon for experience. The experience is not just for school, but for yourself to understand the tempo, responsibilities, and a closer role of what pharmacy entails (specifically retail). This will put you in the right direction toward pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you still add more schools to apply to?

Apply to those pharmacy schools that keep pushing their application deadline

It's MIND BOGGLING.......the field is literally dead and i watch you guys struggle to enter it all the time. Blows my mind how little young people understand about the choices they make and the long term results of their poor choices.

It's MIND BOGGLING.......the field is literally dead and i watch you guys struggle to enter it all the time. Blows my mind how little young people understand about the choices they make and the long term results of their poor choices.

Sometimes I don't understand either. They don't even take any of us seriously in warning about the super saturated market. They think we are trolls....Let them fail....let them fail

Think about it. If you do a bio degree and did horribly what options are left? Most top bio majors go into medicine or PhDs. If you dont do well your only chance in getting an ok income is pharmacy

Think about it. If you do a bio degree and did horribly what options are left? Most top bio majors go into medicine or PhDs. If you dont do well your only chance in getting an ok income is pharmacy
Clinical lab scientists is another option. Not as much pay but you can get the job after getting a bachelors.

Clinical lab scientists is another option. Not as much pay but you can get the job after getting a bachelors.
agreed but that is not a doctoral degree. Some people crave that need to be called "doctor".

agreed but that is not a doctoral degree. Some people crave that need to be called "doctor".
Pharmacists don't get called doctor lol. Even PAs get called doctor more often than pharmacists

Pharmacists don't get called doctor lol. Even PAs get called doctor more often than pharmacists
I know but on twitter and social media I always see a pharm grad saying "I am finally a doctor". PharmD is a doctoral degree but no one really considers them a "doctor"

I know but on twitter and social media I always see a pharm grad saying "I am finally a doctor". PharmD is a doctoral degree but no one really considers them a "doctor"

Everyone but PAs are calling themselves doctors these days (pharmacists, PTs, NPs, etc etc)

Or you could just write off your bio degree and do something different, i.e. computer science. A bio degree is not very useful in today’s job market. I don’t get why people need to prove that they didn’t “waste” their bio degree by taking out an additional $200k+ in loans and spending another 4 years in school for another devalued degree. It is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Last edited:
Or you could just write off your bio degree and do something different, i.e. computer science. A bio degree is not very useful in today’s job market. I don’t get why people need to prove that they didn’t “waste” their bio degree by taking out an additional $200k+ in loans and spending another 4 years in school for another devalued degree. It is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Exactly. I have a bio degree and ended up doing computer science. not that hard. A bio degree is worht less but you dont make it worse by getting even more wortless pharm d on top.

Thats what i mean, you said it yourself. "only chance to make ok money is pharmacy". Why do you have his thought process? The days of big money are over. The jobs are dried up, the hours cut, SALARIES cut, PTO given reduced, PRN until they let you go type jobs. What or who made you feel like pharmacy is a valid option to make GOOD money or even be enjoyable anymore? Because thats where the fatal flaw is occurring in the new graduate thought process. the 2010 ----> 2016 classes are taking up all thats left, and eventually the companies will find a way to get rid of us. Because they can pay you 40$ an hour and youll take it, also give you 56/hr per 2 weeks, and youll take it. Do your research, dont you think the companies are aware pharmacists are desperate? CVS literally cut salaries and said that exact reason. I'm only a WM manager , I see everything going down. Thats how we roll, to stay "competitive". And thats how they roll too.