need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdh0peful2021

Reaction score
Hello everyone sorry for the lengthy post but i just need some guidance and reassurance things work out sometimes

I'm a recent graduate with a degree in health sciences and a cGPA of 3.0 not sure about the science gpa. I entered university as a bio major but got discouraged from pursuing that dream as I received an F in gen bio and F in gen chem in freshman/sophomore respectively. There were some things going on in my family life and personal that affected this but I retook bio and got C in both semesters and continued taking all science courses(genetics, physiology, microbio, anatomy, pharmacology, human development etc.) and never received anything less than a B since. I was going to do nursing but realized it just wasnt the career path for me. I stopped going to my advisors at school after this and became a little lost so after reading online how to make myself a more appealing candidate I decided to DIY post bacc at a 4 year college in my home state and am retaking chem and will hopefully take orgo in the summer. im also taking physics and will be taking calculus and biochem. These would be the only pre med reqs im missing.

i havent taken the mcat yet but i started studying and my plan is to take it after this coming summer so after i take orgo basically. I changed all my study habits after my failures in my early undergraduate career and believe i can do well enough on the test because i have enough time to study and really want to succeed.

I have countless clinical experiences hours and volunteer hours. I am trying to keep a cleaner record of them so i can actually get an almost exact number on them. I had a summer research internship (microbio field) this year where i put in 30 hours a week for about 8 weeks. I was apart of multiple pre med groups on campus and I had a summer internship for a genetic testing company in sophomore year as well. I am about to start shadowing a doctor this year as well.

I know its still early for me to be stressing too hard considering i havent even finished all my prereqs but i was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me to make myself look more appealing to md or do schools. I was also wondering what test prep for the mcat do yall think is best. any help or advice is appreciated! thank you all :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would make sure that you have real, meaningful service hours as part of your application and life as you apply. Try to go for depth here. It doesn't have to be something that is traditionally related to medicine, but something that you can speak passionately about and sustain over the next year or two.

People always say it's a marathon not a sprint. There are times when you need to sprint, but you have to really focus on what's in front of you now. Take your time and do research on the different MCAT prep strategy and how long you want to study. Do all that research before you start studying so that you can hit the ground running when it's time. Berkeley Review worked for me, but it's not for everyone. UWorld and AAMC materials are essential I would say.

Good luck!