need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnthestreak

master of disaster
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i was just wondering if i am competitve at all.
my gpa is 3.32
mcat 8-7-8 (in april, but i just retook it again in aug.)
i have a lot of clinical experience and volunteer work.
please share anything.

Members don't see this ad.

the only thing is that i repeated some classes. 3.32 is with the best grades not the grades averaged. it's a 3.11 averaged. :(

i would gratefully appreciate anything anyone has to say

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have just as good a shot as anyone. Just be confident and continue to work hard.

MAXIMUS

Okay, okay, we're not ignoring you (trust me, I've been having a hard time getting a response too- I think everyone's busy with school, secondaries, etc...) ;)

Have you taken any upper level science classes? How do you think you did on the August MCAT (did you take a review course, etc...)? I think your chances are fair, but it depends where you want to apply, whether your AACOMAS app. is already in and how badly you want it (how much do you know about osteopathy- to prove to the schools that you're serious). What does your science GPA look like? There is always skill involved, but also luck too.

I think you have a chance, but it depends on a lot of factors, not just GPA and MCAT. Traditionally, from what I've read and heard, osteopathic schools focus more on life experiences than on GPA.

How's that? This is all just my opinion, so other people may have different ideas. I think you should give it a shot and see what happens. If you want, call the schools that you are most interested in and see what they think, many will give you advice/ their opinion, especially if you are not applying currently. Best of luck!!! :D :D

p.s If this is what you really want - don't give up! Okay, I'm really done now. :)

thanks for replying palcaregrl, i did think that everyone was ignoring me. :(

i actually turned in my big application 8/10 and i'm waiting to be processed. that is taking forever. :mad:

but i think i did better on this mcat (aug) at least i hope so... and i have taken like a million upper level sciences. i just have to learn more about osteopathy cause i am serious about getting in.
my science gpa is exactly 3.00 (not averaged with the low grades) but i heard that the aacomas takes your best grades and not the avg of the two like amcas. do you know anything about that?

I'm not exactly sure how AACOMAS calculates the GPA's but mine were higher than I thought - my science one especially was 0.2 higher, so maybe yours will be too.

You will probably get secondaries before you get your "report" from AACOMAS. Some of the secondaries are online or previously posted on this website- there are usually several essays for each so if you want, you can get a head start on those, so when you do get them, you can get them turned around in record time.

Best of luck, and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask - this site is a great resource. :)

Oh- a good book to read is "The D.O.s" by Norman Gevitz - it's like the bible- lots of info on the history of osteopathy. I just finished it a couple of months ago - it starts off kind of slow but gets going. It's pretty interesting and it will be a good starting place. Also check out the aacom.org website and the AOA website for more information. :)

Don't sweat it.... your scores are good enough to have them look at you. Your experiences will get you tothe door, and your interview will carry you the rest of the way. Just be sure to know why you want to be a D.O.

All the best.

I know people who are at AZCOM, CCOM, COMP,LECOM and Des Moines with those statistics and scores keep your head up and keep improving your application through volunteering or working in the field.