need advice for 490mcat 3.8gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spartyparty2001

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Not sure what my next step would be and have no one to ask.
About me: about to be senior in college with major in human bio. took the mcat in march and got a 490-- after scoring 500s on my practice exams. My cumulative gpa is 3.8 and ive been volunteering at the hospital as well as shadowing a few DOs, on top of working. I admit I probably need more clinical experience.

Which post bac programs are good for mcat improvement? Or do i just take a year to focus on MCAT and take a kaplan class or something? Or do I just apply to apply to low tier DO schools anyways? I dont really know what to do after graduation so any/all advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

What practice exams did you take? How did you study? With what resources?

Post bacc is probably overkill; they are designed for people who need sustained GPA repair. However you're going to get screened out at most DO schools and even post-bacc programs with your MCAT. Based on the info you've given thus far, I think it would be best to take time to focus on the MCAT. I have no comment on the Kaplan class since I haven't taken it.

What practice exams did you take? How did you study? With what resources?

Post bacc is probably overkill; they are designed for people who need sustained GPA repair. However you're going to get screened out at most DO schools and even post-bacc programs with your MCAT. Based on the info you've given thus far, I think it would be best to take time to focus on the MCAT. I have no comment on the Kaplan class since I haven't taken it.
I did an online class through blueprint for 3 months. I was taking 13 credits the same semester. In hindsight it wasnt my best idea with the timing, went on spring break 3 weeks before my mcat date, and had a bad fallout with a friend 2 days before which i was anxious from

Members don't see this ad :)
I did an online class through blueprint for 3 months. I was taking 13 credits the same semester. In hindsight it wasnt my best idea with the timing, went on spring break 3 weeks before my mcat date, and had a bad fallout with a friend 2 days before which i was anxious from
From where I'm standing this boils down to judgement issues. I'm hearing that you weren't able to balance the MCAT course and school courseload but didn't alter your schedule, you took a vacation at a time that interfered with your performance and then elected not to delay or void in the face of a serious stressor. My advice is not to let your score fall prey to similar issues moving forward. There will always be a vacation or a wedding and pressure to get other pre-reqs done. Personal issues can pop up at any moment too. It's to your benefit to learn to keep the big picture in mind while you navigate these challenges, before you get to medical school.

I would target 505 for DO admission and don't take the MCAT until you're scoring there consistently. The most recent average matriculant score was 504. 500 is a bare minimum and anything below will get you screened out at many schools. I should hope an expensive and time-consuming prep course nets you much better than the bare minimum.

Do you have any other difficulties, ie testing issues or an identified knowledge gap in a certain subject area?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
How's yours sGPA? If you science GPA is over 3.5 you don't need postbacc. Work really hard on MCAt study and take only when you are ready.