need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njDESIdr

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student that is about to enter NYCOM this summer and completed my undergrad in 3yrs through their 7 yr BS/DO program. I am entering with a 3.6 GPA and a 27 MCAT score (8-11-8). I didn't really study that hard for the MCAT but wound up taking the exam twice. Right now I'm very confused if NYCOM is the right place for me.

I initially came here b/c I was not sure about my capabilities but I now sometimes think I should have done a regular 4 yr undergrad and strived for allopathic schools. the extra year would have given me time to focus on EC rather than trying to hurrying my academics. I have thought of taking a year off and trying to strengthen my EC's and retake the MCAT. On one hand I sometimes feel like I could be at a better school with a better student body, and yet at other times I feel I should take advantage of my entrance to medical school at this early age. Additionally the increasing acceptance of DO's and their good residency matches is pressuring me to stick with it and make use of the time I have saved. I've heard of many students who've had to do post-graduate work and only then have been admitted to MD schools. Although my acceptance is in at one school I am still confused on what the right thing for me to do is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like your dream is to be an MD instead of a doctor.

From the sound of your post it seems to me like the question of whether you could have made it to MD school will haunt you for a long time. Maybe you should consider giving up your seat to someone on the waiting list with lesser credentials than you, but who wants to be a DO.

The last thing you want to do is spend the rest of your career regretting your decisions.

The question is: can you get accepted to a medical school after you admit that you had already been accepted at another school and turned it down? I don't know.

Either way, good luck with whatever decision you come up with.

First off, congras on getting into medical school....secondly, i just graduated from NYCOM. Honestly, I wanted to go to allopathic school, but I did not want to lose another year. On advice from friends I learned about NYCOM, was accepted and the rest is history, and I have NO REGRETS . I understand your feelings about NYCOM and questioning whether you should try for an allopathic school. My advice is this ask yourself why you want to goto another school. If you don't like NYCOM, then definetly try for another school. Believe me med school is hard enough, and it is a million times worse if you hate where u are. However, if you wnt to go to another school because you are worried that you will receive an inferior education or that you won't match in a competitive residency, then you are mistaken. I matched in an allopathic surgery residency. My classmates did phenomenally in both the allopathic and osteopathic matches, and we matched many students in the most competitve of residencies(10 surgery,5oste,5allopathic...1 allopathic optho, 18 ER,10osteo/8allopathic...1 allopathic urology, ....the list goes on...
Unfortunatley, the only one who can make this decision is you but remember,after graduation, everyone will call you Doctor...
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: GOod luck...if I cam help you in any way PM me