Need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rtvj

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I need some advice.
My stats r part 1 -91 and GPA 3.56.
I will be taking the Toefl exam next month and part 2 in June/july(whenever i finish studying!)
I am planning to apply to colleges in July/August.

My concern is that since i am on a H4 visa, I cannot work legally at any dental office in the US.
I have talked to a couple of docs and they want me to have SSN which i dont.
I have work experience of 3.5 yrs in India and excellent recommendation letters from my ex boss , dean and prof.

My questions are:

1.Is it a disadvantage not having work experience in the US.Does having work experience in our home country count during the interview?

2.If I observe at a clinic for 3 months, will that be helpful in improving my resume??
Since I am studying for part 2..i can go only part time for observership, prbly 2-3 days a week , will that be enough?

3.Will a part 2 score in the 80's make any difference to the application esp when applying to schools which dont require part 2??

Please advice.

Members don't see this ad.

:)
rtvj said:
Hi friends,

I need some advice.
I will be taking the Toefl exam next month and part 2 in June/july(whenever i finish studying!)

My concern is that since i am on a H4 visa, I cannot work legally at any dental office in the US.
I have work experience of 3.5 yrs in India and excellent recommendation letters from my ex boss , dean and prof.

My questions are:

1.Is it a disadvantage not having work experience in the US.Does having work experience in our home country count during the interview?

2.If I observe at a clinic for 3 months, will that be helpful in improving my resume??
Since I am studying for part 2..i can go only part time for observership, prbly 2-3 days a week , will that be enough?

3.Will a part 2 score in the 80's make any difference to the application esp when applying to schools which dont require part 2??

Please advice.

hi rtvj ,

COngrats on having very strong stats . DO well on ur TOEFL too n try to get arnd 280 . That will then complete your stats part . And you do not hav to worry much abt not being able to work in US as an Asst. , coz you already hav 3+ yrs of experience bak in India as a DEntist , but yes if time permits , its always gud if you go as an observer , since you will get an idea of how it works here ,things are all the same but different and very interesting too . From the schools where I had been interiviewed I got to know that , they do consider you bach-home Dentist experience a lot and also DA / Observer expernce here in US .
SO there is absolutely nothing for you to worry , you will definitely hav a very good application , make it more strong with a very good CV and SOP .

Sorry , I am not very sure abt ur 3rd qstn. But Im sure there are ppl to help you out on that .

All the Very Best .

nident.

Thanks Nident for ur quick & comforting reply.

This has been worrying me for a long time now..I live in a small town in Arkansas where they dont even give u a drivers license without a SSN!!
PPl r not used to having foreigners here so its been difficult to get into any clinic..anyways, I will try to do well in toefl and part 2 and also convince some dentist to lemme observe.

Thanks & best of luck to u too.

nident12 said:
:)

hi rtvj ,

COngrats on having very strong stats . DO well on ur TOEFL too n try to get arnd 280 . That will then complete your stats part . And you do not hav to worry much abt not being able to work in US as an Asst. , coz you already hav 3+ yrs of experience bak in India as a DEntist , but yes if time permits , its always gud if you go as an observer , since you will get an idea of how it works here ,things are all the same but different and very interesting too . From the schools where I had been interiviewed I got to know that , they do consider you bach-home Dentist experience a lot and also DA / Observer expernce here in US .
SO there is absolutely nothing for you to worry , you will definitely hav a very good application , make it more strong with a very good CV and SOP .

Sorry , I am not very sure abt ur 3rd qstn. But Im sure there are ppl to help you out on that .

All the Very Best .

nident.

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations !good score! :thumbup:!get a good toefl score..any score of 250+will suffice!a job experience in this country is definitely required as some schools ask for it!
regarding your 1st q...work exp in your home country is ok..but a job exp in the UNITED STATES...is always a plus point!schools like upenn ask for work exp in the united states!
answering ur 2nd q...yes...if u work as a volunteer or do some sort of observership....it will look impressive in ur cv!
lastly, answer to ur 3rd and final q...a good part 2 score is alwayz a bonus .but not mandatory for the schools which do not ask for part 2 scores!
hope all ur q..s have been answered!
all the best! :thumbup:
regards
fido!
rtvj said:
Hi friends,

I need some advice.

My questions are:

Please advice.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this thread. I need everyone's help.I wrote my part2 last week and got my score,today. I did it really bad.My score is really low. I am feeling very low now. I am thinking of retaking part2. Please inform me where to study from, about patient management ???????? and other subjects. Are dental decks enough or someother material is also there? I really need every one's help and also i need to improve my part1 score. Any suggestions for me to help out in this frustrating time will be appreciated. My previous part1 score is 88.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Fido..thanks for the answers...I really want to get into Upenn but know that its going to be tough becos i dont have any work experience in the US..anyways i will apply there too and see how it goes.
Meanwhile,let me see if some doc will allow me to atleast observe!
Thanks again & good luck!

fido! said:
congratulations !good score! :thumbup:!get a good toefl score..any score of 250+will suffice!a job experience in this country is definitely required as some schools ask for it!
regarding your 1st q...work exp in your home country is ok..but a job exp in the UNITED STATES...is always a plus point!schools like upenn ask for work exp in the united states!
answering ur 2nd q...yes...if u work as a volunteer or do some sort of observership....it will look impressive in ur cv!
lastly, answer to ur 3rd and final q...a good part 2 score is alwayz a bonus .but not mandatory for the schools which do not ask for part 2 scores!
hope all ur q..s have been answered!
all the best! :thumbup:
regards
fido!