Need Advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nt777

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading through different threads to find situations similar to mine, but I wanted to get some advice directly from people. Currently, I am a senior at UIllinois with a 3.72 and was pre-med, got a 27 on my MCAt, until I came home in september. I ended up shadowing my dentist who would always asked me to come and shadow just once. So I did end up shadowing and of course just loved it. I loved the work he did with his hands, the art behind shaping teeth, the business aspect...I could keep going on. I ended up shadowing an oral surgeon and orthodontists later, and again just loved it. The problem is I had already applied to medical school when all of this was happening and have interviewed but probably won't get in, but also I don't think I would take the offer if I did get in. So now, this last semester I have coming up I wanted to figure out a plan of what I should do to get into dental school. I was planning on doing the following:

1) Take the DAT in May and apply day 1
2) Shadowing more dentists, volunteer in dental related activities this last semester, and getting a job as a dental assistant hopefully with a family member at her practice this summer
3) Apply to a Masters Program maybe a MPH

What i need advice on is to realistically see what my chances are when schools see that I had applied to med school. It is a real concern of mine because I know this now is my calling and wanted to get opinions or ask if any of you have gone through something similar. Also, if you think my plan is the best way to go about things, like do you think I should even get my masters because it is so expensive...

Sorry for the long response, i'm just frustrated..Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll definitely have to defend your desire to become a dentist (-I'm very alliterative today) in your personal statement and during your interviews as everyone does. I dont think there is a need to reveal to dental schools that you applied to med school. If they find out, just be honest and tell them the story you told us - its very reasonable and I think many can relate.

Also, your gpa is good and your mcat score translates to a competitive dat score. I think a masters would be unnecessary.

I think you will be okay as long as you have an answer to why you wanted to switch and as long as it is evident that you are now committed to dentistry. I was in a similar situation to you in that I had applied to second degree nursing programs my senior year (to become a nurse practitioner). I was accepted, and then chose not to go. I detailed the reasons why I decided against it in my personal statement and only got a few questions at my interviews. All the schools were very understanding to my explanations. Just make sure that your explanation for switching doesn't place you in a negative light.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll definitely have to defend your desire to become a dentist (-I'm very alliterative today) in your personal statement and during your interviews as everyone does. I dont think there is a need to reveal to dental schools that you applied to med school. If they find out, just be honest and tell them the story you told us - its very reasonable and I think many can relate.

Also, your gpa is good and your mcat score translates to a competitive dat score. I think a masters would be unnecessary.

There is this question on AADSAS application:
"Have you previously, or are you currently applying to a health profession school other than dental school?"

Unless OP lies on his/her application, dental schools will find out that he applied.

You have excellent GPA/mcat scores, I don't see why you wouldn't get accepted into dental school (of course you have to take the dat) Just keep studying have ace the DAT and you're pretty much in... as far as the switching from medical to dental... I see nothing wrong with that... you shadowed a dentist and found out that dentistry is what you really want to practice... and that is what the school are looking for.
Good luck :p

"Have you previously, or are you currently applying to a health profession school other than dental school?"

Yeah, I found out they ask you that in your application. So I thought it'd be best to address that in my personal statement, but I am still worried they would just throw out my application anyways...I think it's stupid they ask, it should be confidential. I can understand they why but I don't think it should be necessary. Same with when why MD schools ask did you apply for DO or vice versa. Just annoying, but I think that might be the best way to attack it.

Well nT777, one of the reasons why they ask if you have applied to any other medical program is that they want to know if you were interested in being a dentist before or after your undergraduate... even tho most people applying to dental schools are involved with dental related stuff before they graduate... situations like the one that you are in happens also... and you have a good reason for it... don't be afraid to answer yes on that question... you shadowed and you saw that dentistry is what you like, and thats what they wanna hear.
Good luck :p

Unless OP lies on his/her application, dental schools will find out that he applied.

oh yeah, forgot about that one.

Good stats. I agree that you dont need the master's. As for applying to medical school, i was asked if I applied at my interviews even though i have never been interested in medicine. I think you can make your experience work for you by saying that because you have undergone the whole process, you are convinced that medicine is not for you. Of course, then you have to explain why you are so sure of dentistry and that's where your shadowing/dental experiences come in.

when i comes down do it.. a 3.7gpa is really competitive.. if you can pull of a 22 on ur DATs which you probably will have no problem doing dental schools arent gonna care that you applied to med school. your stats are solid, you'll get in somewhere.. good chance it will be your one of your top 3 or 4 choice schools too